Snorkel or not?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Snorkel or not?

Default Snorkel or not?

I have been lucky to get a new Land Cruiser 200 VXR and will be taking it for 5 weeks through Botswana in May. I have been getting a lot of conflicting advice about whether to fit a snorkel or not and is it really necessary ?

Default Re: Snorkel or not?

Personal opinion, no itís not. It wonít change the vehicle into a submarine. It looks freakin awesome and does give some ďcleanĒ cooler air to the engine. But thatís about that

Thats enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LouisXander View Post
    Thats enough!!!
    to me itís much more about air, and much more of an issue if you drive in convoy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Then you just add a prefilter?

Then you just add a prefilter?

Cooler air + it looks much cooler than some silly pre-filter

The biggest benefit I noticed was when driving in convoy on dusty roads. Much less dust.

Maybe also check where your cars current intake is. If it's by the wheel arch then that's pretty low and could have water ingress. Snorkels look cool, add fresh air and if there is a water crossing give you piece of mind.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

No man, the prefilter is for when one drives in a convoy, my snorkel kop can swivel, but I've seen some of these fancy vehicles having a bodyhugging snorkel, TJM at some time used to make those too, couldn't do anything with the snorkel kop. It was a fixed future, couldn't even put a Cyclone on which is best for convoy driving.

Ugly but effective

No man, the prefilter is for when one drives in a convoy, my snorkel kop can swivel, but I've seen some of these fancy vehicles having a bodyhugging snorkel, TJM at some time used to make those too, couldn't do anything with the snorkel kop. It was a fixed future, couldn't even put a Cyclone on which is best for convoy driving.

Ugly but effective

aha! I misunderstood— mine faces backward but its fixed - does a decent job keeping the air clean - but one of those would be even better...
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/12/22 at 09:53 AM.

The 200 GX comes standard with a snorkel, says something about the application of the vehicle. Toy must have done some research before adding this as a standard feature.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

If you like the snort sound coming from the snorkel...

Can be irritating.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

The G-wagen Professional comes with a snorkel, but the 350 bluetec not.

With the 350's computers under the seat and wade depth limited to 600mm it is understandable. Then also, it would require 2 snorkels. One in either side.
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2019/12/22 at 04:03 PM.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Been to many places in Botswana, Namibia etc., umpteen times; with different vehicles: No snorkel ever - no problems ever!
    Last edited by Alto; 2019/12/22 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobMc View Post
    I have been lucky to get a new Land Cruiser 200 VXR and will be taking it for 5 weeks through Botswana in May. I have been getting a lot of conflicting advice about whether to fit a snorkel or not and is it really necessary ?
    Is your cruiser petrol or diesel?

I think that with older turbo diesels there might be a bit of an increase in power, anecdotally. Or is it all in the head/mind?

Also good as a nesting place. Some flycatchers and other small birds like to nest on the head/intake, if you leave the car sitting in a quiet place for long enough.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2019/12/22 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks for the replies - think I will stick with no snorkel. The Toyota dealer also tells me that cutting the hole in the bodywork for the snorkel can lead to rust problems here at the coast.

The manual of the v6 Cruiser states less power with a snorkel as find in other markets. I have done serious temperature and flow tests on my 76 Cruiser with snorkel connected and disconnected. A snorkel is for cosmetics only. Other than a sealed unit for deep water crossings all other claims are unfounded. Please post links to lab tests with snorkels that proof cold air intake and dust reduction. I mean hardcore lab facts not some wannabe YouTubers video claim with unfounded facts. The only way to test filter dust reduction is by before and after weighing of filters with and with out snorkel in exact lab conditions.

On my v8 Cruiser the snorkel is only a noise induction add on.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

How often do you drive in convoy? Fitting a Donaldson Cyclone filter below the bonnet will remove any convoy dust before it enters the integral actual filter and is much cheaper than a snorkel. Easy to clean out too. Regarding cooler air, how many degrees cooler? The air is just going to be heated up when it gets compressed in the turbo anyway.

If you want the snorkel for wading you have a lot more work to do. Your vehicle was not designed as a submarine. You will need to seal all the electronics and electrics first. The lowest part will be the axles which have pressure equalising breathers. A sudden plunge into (Relatively) cold water will cause the air inside the axles to contract. This will draw air into the axle. If the equalising valves are under the water, this will draw water into the axle, mixing it with the oil. Pipes need to be attached to these valves to bring their height to above the max wading depth. Not to forget the clutch that doesn't like water at all. My 45 year old Landy Series 2A actually has a sealed clutch bell housing as OEM.

But, I suppose a snorkel looks cool on a vehicle permanently fitted with Jerry cans, gas bottles, sand tracks, hi lift jack and a RTT that is only used on weekends to the mall and parked on the pavement or in the disabled parking. My wife always looks under them to see if they have ever been off a tar road. Most haven't.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    The manual of the v6 Cruiser states less power with a snorkel as find in other markets. I have done serious temperature and flow tests on my 76 Cruiser with snorkel connected and disconnected. A snorkel is for cosmetics only. Other than a sealed unit for deep water crossings all other claims are unfounded. Please post links to lab tests with snorkels that proof cold air intake and dust reduction. I mean hardcore lab facts not some wannabe YouTubers video claim with unfounded facts. The only way to test filter dust reduction is by before and after weighing of filters with and with out snorkel in exact lab conditions.

On my v8 Cruiser the snorkel is only a noise induction add on.
    This has been my experience as well with my V6 Colt. I bought it 2nd hand with snorkel already installed.

A trusted workshop with dyno in my area was doing some fine tuning for me on the Colt. He showed me the dyno results with and without snorkel (disconnected the snorklel from airfilter housing). The end result, Colt gained 8kw with snorkel disconnected.

I bought a new fender for the Colt, removed the snorkel and old fender and fitted the new one. Air filter is so inexpensive on the Colt, I replace it happily every service and in between if necessary.

Whenever I drive in a convoy I make the distance between me and the vehicle in front bigger, also most of the time any crosswind (half or full value) blows the dust away.
    Last edited by Mr. R; 2019/12/22 at 03:44 PM.
    I was wise enough to never grow up while fooling most people into believing I had

There goes my whole reasoning for a snorkel.....

I never saw the need for a snorkel , as mentioned it does not work for water crossings and the airflow is bad so their will be loss in power , with sand etc its all over the place so I dont think it helps , but it looks good . manufactures design the air intake so if the vehicle did not come with one dont fit one
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast