Snorkel or not? - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Snorkel or not?

Default Re: Snorkel or not?

I have read two articles about snorkels in the same outdoor magazine published about a year apart. One said they are a waste of money and can cause dust to become compacted. The other article claimed they were an essential Mod.
    One writer sold them, the other was the service manager of the largest safari company in East Africa. Take your pick who you want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    I have read two articles about snorkels in the same outdoor magazine published about a year apart. One said they are a waste of money and can cause dust to become compacted. The other article claimed they were an essential Mod.
    One writer sold them, the other was the service manager of the largest safari company in East Africa. Take your pick who you want to believe.
    To be fair, many journalists do what they do because of their writing skills, not because they are technically inclined, and often depend on others for technical content. Even the great AsPW with all his 4x4 experience lacks proper technical knowledge at times, and can be biased towards certain products, IMOHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrRudiger View Post
    How does one go about this business in the case of a serpentine belt that powers much more than just the cooling fan (most importantly in the case of my FJ Cruiser the power steering pump and water pump?). I imagine power steering and coolant are most important in the business of crossing rivers. The engine works hard pushing the bow wave and forcing the wheels through thick sand (and sometimes black soil). In the rainy season river crossings can be quite wide (I've crossed the Shashe river recently between Bots & Zim which was flowing over 100 meters wide).

Is it not better to let the engine and transfer cases (difflocks) cool while mounting a fording / wading cover (blanket) to the front of the vehicle in that case?

I've never crossed water that went higher than bullbar height anyway... It'll have to be an emergency if I would. The only reason I'd fit a snorkel is when we go to Namibia this year in the dry season (you've read it: dust).
    Considering that the question of fitting a snorkel also referred to wading / fording in the beginning of this thread. Could anyone enlighten me on the above? Has anyone went river crossing without the serpentine belt? Seems tricky business to me.

Considering that the question of fitting a snorkel also referred to wading / fording in the beginning of this thread. Could anyone enlighten me on the above? Has anyone went river crossing without the serpentine belt? Seems tricky business to me.
    I dont think anyone mentioned that you must remove your serpentine belt, bar you..And I do believe that it would be very dumb to do that. As you mention, it would be more prudent to fit a wading blanket or tarp over the nose of the vehicle and then keep the bow wave up

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    As I mentioned before does anyone know a manufacture that sells a 4x4 with a snorkel as standard ? The Dakar race I never saw any Snorkels on any vehicles
    https://images.app.goo.gl/jiVVb9D59LE5bXfE8

Not sure but it looks like there could be an integrated snorkel on the right in red facing the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    https://images.app.goo.gl/jiVVb9D59LE5bXfE8

Not sure but it looks like there could be an integrated snorkel on the right in red facing the rear.
    What is those things on the back of the roof.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/01/20 at 01:56 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I dont think anyone mentioned that you must remove your serpentine belt, bar you..And I do believe that it would be very dumb to do that. As you mention, it would be more prudent to fit a wading blanket or tarp over the nose of the vehicle and then keep the bow wave up
    That is for the brave and honest guy - who walk through first for checking the deepness.

Because I had a snorkel and my vehicle is prepared (axles, diff breather) I never did walk through first.

So I did suprisingly severeall deep crossings, without beeing able to cover my front. Did see the Waterlevel on my frontscreen (not wave)..

Just adjust your speed, that you are following your "bow wave" - did work for me. Don`t be too fast.. Till now nothing did break.

For shure this is not the best way.. If there is a big tree stump inside of the water - or other obstacles - ouch.

But I did always follow some tracks and did not cross the water freestyle in the wilderness, what lowers the risk a bit...

Surfy
    Last edited by Surfy; 2020/01/20 at 01:55 PM.

If I just see how much dust my Cyclone collects in a 24h period, I'm happy with my snorkel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    What is those things on the back of the roof.
    Possibly to divert airflow down towards the engine?
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

On the Hilux the air intake sits inside the right front fender and this is where the engines heat and dust accumulates.
    I think a snorkel is a personal preference - I've got one on my vehicle only for dust and cooler air, also changed over to the K&N filter.
    I have to admit, I'm getting 2km/l better fuel consumption, as this is my daily driver, and only enjoy my 4x4 over weekends. My 5 cents ...

If I can add my 2 cents.

I purchased my vehicle with a snorkel, and obviously it looks cool (well, to most 4x4 lovers).

Then, somewhere along the line, the snorkel got a problem where essentially the whole snorkel was bypassed and the vehicle was suckling in hotter air than it would have with a stock air intake.

It only became a real issue at low speeds with very little to no airflow throughout the engine bay. Typically when doing a 4x4 trail in low range etc.

Getting it fixed this week (finally) so will have to see what difference it makes to fuel consumption going forward with feeding the engine with supposedly cleaner and cooler air.

In short. I don't think there could be any harm in fitting a snorkel. If there is no performance benefit, then at least it looks cool
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

This practice originated when vehicles still had fan belts and the fan was driven by the belt and not the thermo electric switch and fan system common today. It was done for two reasons, the first to stop the shock of the water pushing the radiator into the rotating fan (still an issue with the thermo electric system) and the second, to stop water being sprayed around the engine bay particularly when distributors etc were still being used.

Damage to radiator and fan is still an issue if the water is entered at speed and at a sufficient depth. Conventional wisdom suggests entering at a reasonable speed and creating a bow wave which lowers the depth of the water just behind the wave and the front of the vehicle, almost like a shallow pocket. This needs to be practiced in order to ascertain the optimal speed and forward momentum to maintain this wave. In deeper water a wading blanket or tarp can be attached to the front of the vehicle for the duration of the crossing and then removed after exiting.

The serpantine belt that most modern vehicles are fitted with today also drive other ancilliaries such as water pump, power steering and aircon etc so it is adviseable not to remove it for river crossings.

If you look for videos on Nolans Brook in Australia, you can often see these blankets/tarps being used.

I hope this helps
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Havent read all the Posts, and have zero mechanical/technical know how.

What I do know however, from 1st hand experience : On my previous Defender TD5's I fitted a (Safari) snorkel on the last one, and there was a definite change in performance.

Not an improvement, like in it pulled better etc etc......but it definitely felt "crisper", like a well tuned engine after I fitted that snorkel.

Also dunno why, but definitely a difference.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Changing the serpentine belt will ensure that the fan blades are not bent forwards into the radiator, and like Estee mentioned, no splashing of water. But this is a drastic measure and I have never heard anyone doing this. Depending on your vehicle, by undoing that, you can disable your alternator, causing all sorts of error codes, and forcing possible limp mode. Be very careful if your waterpump is also powered by this belt. Your power steering pump will also be disabled if powered by the same pump. On my tdi engine you would have to undo the aircon belt first before getting to the main belt, which drives the waterpump, power steering and fan - it would be madness driving without a waterpump, even for a short crossing

Not to mention the difficulty on getting the belt off on back on, especially if using a stretch belt, where there are no tension pulleys.

If you have a viscous fan, you can tie it to prevent it from turning. On the electric fans, or those with a solenoid activated clutch, you can probably unplug the electrical connection to it? My Iveco actually has a fan disengage button for this. The best is to ask about your specific vehicle, as there is no common solution which fits all.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7