Defender 2001 Land Rover Defender - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: 2001 Land Rover Defender

Quote Originally Posted by nedge View Post
    By the sounds of it you're defender may have been remapped or chipped, this will be the most likely cause of the excess smoke.

Would have to look a bit closer to see. It shouldn't do any harm apart from your fuel consumption.

But it can be a problem if it is constantly over fueling. A madman where you can monitor egt will be able to let you know if or is just at start up, low revs or odd is its rich all the way.
    Thanks, it seems to blow black smoke when I put foot a bit like just before the turbo kicks in at around 1500-1700rpm and then if I make a mistake and have it in too high a gear it blows out quite a bit.

A Madman is definitely on the to do list in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthAB97 View Post
    Thanks, it seems to blow black smoke when I put foot a bit like just before the turbo kicks in at around 1500-1700rpm and then if I make a mistake and have it in too high a gear it blows out quite a bit.

A Madman is definitely on the to do list in the near future.
    mine is mapped and when you pull off foot heavy it does push some black smoke then clears up, most diesels if you labour them they push out black smoke unburnt fuel, if you in Cape Town get hold of Nicky Murray he can map the ECU how ever you want it
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    mine is mapped and when you pull off foot heavy it does push some black smoke then clears up, most diesels if you labour them they push out black smoke unburnt fuel, if you in Cape Town get hold of Nicky Murray he can map the ECU how ever you want it
    Thanks mine does more or less the same. I'll see if I can take a video and post it and get everyones opinion. But maybe I'm lucky and got a remapped Defender

By the sounds of it you're defender may have been remapped or chipped, this will be the most likely cause of the excess smoke.

Would have to look a bit closer to see. It shouldn't do any harm apart from your fuel consumption.

But it can be a problem if it is constantly over fueling. A madman where you can monitor egt will be able to let you know if or is just at start up, low revs or odd is its rich all the way.
    Thanks, as I say it seems like it only blows black smoke when I put foot or if I put it in too high a gear for a turn or speed hump.

Hi all,

I spotted a place on Facebook called Land Rover World Middelburg. No website but I had a loom on their Facebook page and some of the before and after rebuilds look quite impressive. Has anyone ever taken their Landy there? If so how was the experience and service?

Only looking at a Middelburg shop because I work there so it would make life easier than having to take it through to Joburg or Pretoria.

Hi Garth.

Welkom by die TD5 familie. Jy sal so mey tyd al sy nukke en grille leer ken.

Clutch: Daai spring wat die ander oor gesels help. Ek het n ghries nipple op die pedal housing gesit om die bushes te ghries. Soek ma op die web daar is baie info.

Rook: Dit klink vir my na die MAF sensor. Daar is maniere om te toets anders as diagnostics.

Vents: Ja nee kyk n Landy lek al is die vents toe. Ek het al die seels op die vents ook vervang dan seel hul mooi waneer dit toe is. Ek vind nogal dat as dit liggies reen die water nie by die vents ingaan nie maar waneer hy begin gooi dan is dit n sif.

n Landy is ia soos n Mechano stel mens werk heeltyd aan hom, maar die plesier daarvan is great.

Barry
    ONE LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    Hi Garth.

Welkom by die TD5 familie. Jy sal so mey tyd al sy nukke en grille leer ken.

Clutch: Daai spring wat die ander oor gesels help. Ek het n ghries nipple op die pedal housing gesit om die bushes te ghries. Soek ma op die web daar is baie info.

Rook: Dit klink vir my na die MAF sensor. Daar is maniere om te toets anders as diagnostics.

Vents: Ja nee kyk n Landy lek al is die vents toe. Ek het al die seels op die vents ook vervang dan seel hul mooi waneer dit toe is. Ek vind nogal dat as dit liggies reen die water nie by die vents ingaan nie maar waneer hy begin gooi dan is dit n sif.

n Landy is ia soos n Mechano stel mens werk heeltyd aan hom, maar die plesier daarvan is great.

Barry
    Baie dankie sal kyk na die MAF sensor, dis hoekom ek soek nou n shop om hom n full inspection te gee en n volle diens. Wou n clean slate he met hom so van daar af kan ek begon om self op hom te werk.

Let's look at what a "full service" is:
    Oils: diffs, transfer case, gearbox, engine
    Filters: air, oil, fuel
    Fluids: Power Steering fluid, antifreeze
    Grease joints on propshaft... (if they have nipples)??
    Contact cleaner, clean: afm, map sensor, crank sensor..

Also maybe injector washers, change water pipes to silicone , fan belt, plug behind oil cooler...

What else is there?

Why don't you do it yourself over a few weekends and then send to lrxtreme for the injector washers... Gives you a chance to get to know your car..

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post

Also maybe injector washers, change water pipes to silicone , fan belt, plug behind oil cooler...

What else is there?

Why don't you do it yourself over a few weekends and then send to lrxtreme for the injector washers... Gives you a chance to get to know your car..
    Not a bad idea thanks

What else is there?

Confirm contact cleaner for mass airflow sensor? Where can you get is from and do you have any common brand names that I could ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintinC View Post
    Confirm contact cleaner for mass airflow sensor? Where can you get is from and do you have any common brand names that I could ask for?
    The one I use is called Lektro Kleen, it's made by spanjaard.

You can get it from most spares shops and some hardware stores.

While we're on the subject of cleaners, my one back window is a bit tuff to open and the other one is completely jammed. Any recommendations on home remedies on how to get them open? Both latches still work

They do that, it's an accumulation of dust.

I thoroughly rinse with water and start with small movements until it gets better.
    Then I wash out the velt.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintinC View Post
    Any electrical contact cleaner will do. I get Herschells contact cleaner from Builders...

Any electrical contact cleaner will do. I get Herschells contact cleaner from Builders...
    Many thanks, will look out for it.

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a diesel overflow on the Defenders? Every time I've filled mine up it leaks diesel from around the same area as the transfer box and gearbox. Then when I start it, it instantly stops. I have got 2 extra 45L tanks so maybe they weren't plumbed up correctly.

Maybe a vent on one of the tanks.
    Should check it out.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

The one I use is called Lektro Kleen, it's made by spanjaard.

You can get it from most spares shops and some hardware stores.
    Got it thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GarthAB97 View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of a diesel overflow on the Defenders? Every time I've filled mine up it leaks diesel from around the same area as the transfer box and gearbox. Then when I start it, it instantly stops. I have got 2 extra 45L tanks so maybe they weren't plumbed up correctly.

I had a D1, V8 ,I used to fill it up till the petrol started running out, also underneath the car! It took me 6 months to finally work out that this was not normal and I dropped the tank to find a massive hole in it, near the top. I had to replace the tank...

Now one would think the previous owner/seller would have warned me about this feature, but no, he did not.

What else is there?

Plus the centrifugal oil "filter"?
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast