Defender 2001 Land Rover Defender - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: 2001 Land Rover Defender

Electrical or viscose?
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Just passed roadworthy only issue was a slight rear brake imbalance which the young girls said she's not going to fail it just for that so she put it back on the rollers and did a quick retest on that. Otherwise all good. Temp stayed under 80 the whole time not sure aboit the test drive because I wasn't allowed to go with.
    Last edited by GarthAB97; 2020/01/06 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Electrical or viscose?
    Viscose

Thanks. Sounds good. Enjoy.

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

Baie mooi Landy, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkals. View Post
    Baie mooi Landy, enjoy!
    Thank you!

Thanks. Sounds good. Enjoy.
    So the fan is normal then?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a workshop in either Pretoria or Joburg that can quote me on a Madman EMS3 (love the look of the new one) and installing it. I've already got a quote on another 4x4 monitoring system from LR Xtreme and they're pricing the unit and installation at R11k.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by GarthAB97; 2020/01/07 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthAB97 View Post
    So the fan is normal then?
    Sounds right but you can always double check with the newspaper.

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a workshop in either Pretoria or Joburg that can quote me on a Madman EMS3 (love the look of the new one) and installing it. I've already got a quote on another 4x4 monitoring system from LR Xtreme and they're pricing the unit and installation at R11k.

Thanks in advance
    The lrxtreme system comes in "stages", the R11k is for the entire system, all bells and whistles. All you really need, if cost is an issue, is the EGT monitor and the coolant level switch. The rest you can add later. Find out what those 2 options cost, then later add oil pressure... Madman is cheaper and a good tool, Google madman and ask the owner, Brian Cotton who he is supplying with the units. Madman used to be very good with replying to questions etc but now he only supplies car parts shops and they don't provide good support.

Contact Landyluvver on the forum, he is a supplier of Madman.

I also think he is in that area.
    If you got some skill you can install it yourself, I did mine myself.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
    Hi Garth,

Have a look at the madman, nice unit and fits into the landy and looks standard.

Will be a good option to install it yourself, will give you some time to get to know your landy and save you a good chunk of cash.

I installed mine and it is actually very easy. Always will to give you a hand if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by nedge View Post
    Hi Garth,

Have a look at the madman, nice unit and fits into the landy and looks standard.

Will be a good option to install it yourself, will give you some time to get to know your landy and save you a good chunk of cash.

I installed mine and it is actually very easy. Always will to give you a hand if you would like.
    Thanks where did you buy it from?

Thanks where did you buy it from?
    I got mine from madman themselves, when you could still buy direct from them.

I think landylover on the forum sells them now. Otherwise have a look at the madman website for a list of resellers.

So week 1 of Land Rover Defender ownership is over. Experiences so far:

1. That clutch is trying to kill me! I got stuck in stop start traffic on leg day and the point of telling people move or be moved was near.
    2. Done about 130kms which includes about 60kms was highway. Fuel has just dropped under 3/4 today so don't think it's doing too terribly on fuel.
    3. Every time you stop somewhere someone wants to ask you something about it.
    4. Note to self close the damn vents when it rains! Not used to having a car with openings other than the doors and windows

A few things I'm a bit concerned/confused about are:

1. I said in a previous post that I had a viscose fan, turns out it looks like I have 2 fans, the original and a monster electric fan on the other side of the radiator, or am I being stupid and that fan is something else?
    2. The black smoke under acceleration was fun in the beginning but, the amount starting to concern me a bit. Before I start panicking and looking at new injectors or anything, does anyone else have any recommendations as to what to do to cure it or at least tone it down?

Otherwise through all this and the killer clutch, I honestly wouldn't change it for anything in the world. It's so much fun to drive and just that feeling of knowing that you can just go anywhere is amazing. And I found my Landy's twin around town the other day.

The spring is normal you can import an improved one, I'll have a look if you're interested.

The electrical fan is for the aircon and when the vehicle runs very hot. The viscous fan is the main one.

You will need some advice from someone who has more experience with the Td5 on the black smoke, but it might just be over fueling.

The vents are cool and a sad loss on the Puma.

Here's the clutch sping.

https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutche...-assister-kit/

I'm used to mine but heavy traffic is a killer.

Here's the clutch sping.

https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutche...-assister-kit/

I'm used to mine but heavy traffic is a killer.
    Thanks a lot

Clutch assist springs are available. Got mine from Paddocks. They reduce the "effort" by about 25%.

So week 1 of Land Rover Defender ownership is over. Experiences so far:

1. That clutch is trying to kill me! I got stuck in stop start traffic on leg day and the point of telling people move or be moved was near.
    2. Done about 130kms which includes about 60kms was highway. Fuel has just dropped under 3/4 today so don't think it's doing too terribly on fuel.
    3. Every time you stop somewhere someone wants to ask you something about it.
    4. Note to self close the damn vents when it rains! Not used to having a car with openings other than the doors and windows

A few things I'm a bit concerned/confused about are:

1. I said in a previous post that I had a viscose fan, turns out it looks like I have 2 fans, the original and a monster electric fan on the other side of the radiator, or am I being stupid and that fan is something else?
    2. The black smoke under acceleration was fun in the beginning but, the amount starting to concern me a bit. Before I start panicking and looking at new injectors or anything, does anyone else have any recommendations as to what to do to cure it or at least tone it down?

Otherwise through all this and the killer clutch, I honestly wouldn't change it for anything in the world. It's so much fun to drive and just that feeling of knowing that you can just go anywhere is amazing. And I found my Landy's twin around town the other day.
    By the sounds of it you're defender may have been remapped or chipped, this will be the most likely cause of the excess smoke.

Would have to look a bit closer to see. It shouldn't do any harm apart from your fuel consumption.

But it can be a problem if it is constantly over fueling. A madman where you can monitor egt will be able to let you know if or is just at start up, low revs or odd is its rich all the way.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast