Defender 2001 Land Rover Defender - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: 2001 Land Rover Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Darron View Post
    It's on around 230000kms

Hi all,

I just want to double check something. I've got Castrol Radicool SF Premix 5L, can I use this on my TD5? Also it says on the bottle that it's already a perfect 50:50 mix. The Landy's coolant capacity is 12 liters if I'm not mistaken. So does that mean I can flush and empty the system and add 5L Castrol Radicool SF Premix then 7L water? Or do I have to go for the full 12L of the Premix?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by GarthAB97 View Post
    Hi all,

I just want to double check something. I've got Castrol Radicool SF Premix 5L, can I use this on my TD5? Also it says on the bottle that it's already a perfect 50:50 mix. The Landy's coolant capacity is 12 liters if I'm not mistaken. So does that mean I can flush and empty the system and add 5L Castrol Radicool SF Premix then 7L water? Or do I have to go for the full 12L of the Premix?

Thanks guys
    I would definitely think so. Flush the system a few times with just water then go premix for the full 12l.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    I would definitely think so. Flush the system a few times with just water then go premix for the full 12l.
    Thanks, do you know if it would maybe be possible to just top up the original coolant with the Premix or not?
    Last edited by GarthAB97; 2019/12/30 at 03:20 PM.

If you can ascertain with certainty what coolant was used then no worries but its not recommended to mix different types of coolant.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW G650 xChallenge

Quote Originally Posted by pjf110 View Post
    If you can ascertain with certainty what coolant was used then no worries but its not recommended to mix different types of coolant.
    Ok cool thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthAB97 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks guys
    It's premixed so you have to buy 12 litres. I also use Castrol Radicool but the unmixed one.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    It's premixed so you have to buy 12 litres. I also use Castrol Radicool but the unmixed one.
    Thanks a lot. I think for topping up purposes I should exchange it for normal antifreeze.
    Last edited by GarthAB97; 2019/12/30 at 04:54 PM.

So tomorrow is the big day, going through to Bloemfontein from Witbank to go and get a 2001 Defender TD5 90 with 230000kms on the clock. I've got a bottle of Rislone head gasket sealer (seeing as it is a 10p engine with plastic dowels) 6 litres of castrol antifreeze, 10 litres of water, my toolbox and a tow rope. Really hoping and trusting I don't need any of that in the 540km journey home. Plan is to keep it around 2500-2750 RPM which should give me around 100-110kmh. The vehicle is fitted with a VDO temperature gauge and from what I understand TD5's generally stay around the 96c temperature mark (just hope the gauge is accurate).

Can anyone else give some last minute advice or items I might need?

Thanks in advance I'll post some pictures when she's home.

Just relax and enjoy.

I drove my current one for the first time from Pretoria to Langebaan.

Remember without pictures it didn't happen.

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

I agree with jfh... just relax and enjoy the trip.

I collected mine in Windhoek and drove it straight to Walvis Bay

Honestly, on a TD5 it either works or it does not. If the gasket goes in a bug way it will stop... If it runs out of water it will stop..

So, before you start the trip, from cold, check water, oil and power steering fluid. Check for marks on the engine, bellhousing for oil leaks.Also check recently fixed transfer case for signs of an oil leak. If there are some, clean them (most landies leak somewhere) .. Look behind the head near to the firewall for oil leak from the tappit gas kit (not really a big deal) and the big black circle on the front of the head.. Sometimes they leak a drop or 2.. No big deal.

Drive for 25 km, with engine running, check for obvious oil, water leaks.... If none, continue..
    Check again at 100 km mark.. If none, relax and drive home with peace of mind...

Honestly, if you are already paranoid about a Defender you're going to be a psychological wreck by the time you get home....

Like you said, keep it at 2500 rpm and it will go just fine..Besides, between Bloem and Witbank there are 100s of landy people who will assist you if need be.
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/01/03 at 06:49 PM.

I say again....

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Honestly, on a TD5 it either works or it does not. If the gasket goes in a bug way it will stop... If it runs out of water it will stop..

So, before you start the trip, from cold, check water, oil and power steering fluid. Check for marks on the engine, bellhousing for oil leaks.Also check recently fixed transfer case for signs of an oil leak. If there are some, clean them (most landies leak somewhere) .. Look behind the head near to the firewall for oil leak from the tappit gas kit (not really a big deal) and the big black circle on the front of the head.. Sometimes they leak a drop or 2.. No big deal.

Drive for 25 km, with engine running, check for obvious oil, water leaks.... If none, continue..
    Check again at 100 km mark.. If none, relax and drive home with peace of mind...

Honestly, if you are already paranoid about a Defender you're going to be a psychological wreck by the time you get home....

Like you said, keep it at 2500 rpm and it will go just fine..Besides, between Bloem and Witbank there are 100s of landy people who will assist you if need be.
    Thanks a lot, the current owner is driving it around 280kms to get to Bloemfontein so if he makes it do you think I'd be fine?

Yes..... Much easier if he's driving it closer to you. If it's pissing water, oil, you'll see it immediately and it probably would not have made the distance anyway...

Most lr owners are pedantic about maintaining their vehicles....

Is the current owner on the forum. If so search for his posts, he would have asked questions, fixes etc.. Good background info.
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/01/03 at 07:06 PM.

Well I just bought a it, beautiful condition, minor oil leak by the sump by the looks of things. Now got a 540km trip home from Bloemfontein to Witbank. Temp on the VDO gauge stays around 80 but can move up higher says the now previous owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Beautiful!

Now remember it's a light truck,not a Citi golf.

Enjoy your drive!

Wink Re: 2001 Land Rover Defender

We should have asked him to post minute by minute progress reports..

At Kroonstad caltex now. All going well temperature staying around 80c, just ome thing, the morons at the Shell garage in Bloem where I pocked it up didn't put my diesel cap on properly now I have no diesel cap. Anyone in Witbank who maybe has a spare I can buy?

Ah! And so it begins.

Get ti know these websites.

https://lrservicecentre.co.za/parts?...%20Fuel%20Tank

I unlock it myself, put it in the cab, put it self back and lock it.
    Almost lost mine as well.
    Last edited by jfh; 2020/01/04 at 04:39 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast