New causeway open at Gonarezhou

Default New causeway open at Gonarezhou

From Gonarezhou FB page:

The Gonarezhou Conservation Trust, a conservation partnership between Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and the Frankfurt Zoological Society, celebrated the opening of the newly constructed Nkwangulatilo ‘rainbow’ Causeway on Monday the 16th December, 2019. The structure connects the North of Gonarezhou National Park to the South, giving ease of access over the Runde River throughout the year.

Thank you to the three Paramount Chiefs of the area, Chief Sengwe, Chief Mahenya and Chief Tshovani, their traditional headmen, representatives of Zimbabwe’s Parliament and National Parks, community members and all other invited guests for celebrating the opening of the newly constructed causeway with us.
    Thanks must go to Total Property Solutions, the project contractors and lastly but most importantly, to our generous donors for funding this much needed infrastructure development.

See video at https://www.facebook.com/gonarezhou....8648814359142/

Edit: Also see
    http://lowveldcheckpoint.co.zw/news/...idge-complete/

Last edited by Mike N; 2019/12/18 at 06:10 PM.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New causeway open at Gonarezhou

Definitely want to spend some time there one day and go explore. Thanks for sharing.

A very welcome development

MikeN thank you for keeping us all updated with the news around Gonarezhou. The best wilderness in Southern Africa. We will be back there in August 2020. This is really going to save a lot of travelling during the rainy season and a great assistance to people who want to visit South and North.Cheers
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mike for the update. Where is this causeway exactly?

1997 Land Rover Defender 90 CSW TDI
    2010 Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Echo 4 Off Road Trailer

I thought I saw construction activity when we were there in September. That certainly opens the northern options in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Burger View Post
    Thanks Mike for the update. Where is this causeway exactly?
    Near the old bridge that was washed away near Chipinda Pools. You can either access the new causeway from the South coming along the Boli - Chiredzi Route coming from Mabaulata or driving through the central park and turning off to go Via Benji's Weir to Chipinda pools offices.

No, the new causeway is downstream from Chipinda Pools, in fact downstream from Chivilila. Aparently the turnoff from the Chipinda - Chilojo road is about 1.5km after the Chivilila turn-off (after climbing the hill), with a new road to the Causeway which is about halfway between Chivilila and Massassanya. After crossing the river, a new section of road then joins the old Chipinda - Bhenji road, though the routing of this road I do not know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	744.8 KB 
ID:	551391
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Name:	Clipboard01.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	551398

You can see it on current photos from the European Sentinel satellite at the coordinates -21.32499, 31.91968

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-20 CREODIAS Browser(1).png 
Views:	107 
Size:	930.7 KB 
ID:	551397
    Last edited by G_DE; 2019/12/20 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks G De and Mike N. What it means is all south camps on Runde can reach Chipinda in the rainy season without having to cross Fishans Causeway. I was under the impression that they were building it near the new site. I see it is between Chivillia Falls and Runde Gorge. It would be great if they could lead roads off the south side of Runde to Chivillia and Runde Gorge. Those pools below Chivillia look excellent for fishing in See attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chivilila campsite.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	551405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chivilila Pools.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	551406  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Mike for the info.

I just hope that I have the time left to get back there one day fairly soon.
    Forget about the bucket list !
    We also have a "Go back to" list - and this is one of them.

And - just a note that I still appreciate all the help and advice that YOU gave us before our trip via Pafuri in late 2015.

Such a pity we could not meet up.

It is a special part of the world and one of the last truly wild areas in Southern Africa which can be reached by most folks without superior off-road vehicles.

Very do-able with a 4x2 + limited slip diff or diff-lock, and may not even be needed depending on conditions and season.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Hi Peter - You are only 70 - Plenty of kilometers still left in those bones. I am 77 next year and still feel up to travelling and camping. Must be the farm life. My next trip to Gona I would like to use Chinguli as a base and spend at least 4 days in the north then do at least 3 days in the south using Mabaulata as a base. This new causeway is going to be a real blessing in the rainy season. I am thinking maybe end March - begin April could be a good time with everything still green and lush. I have always visited in the winter months. Oct - Dec to hot. My be we should plan an oldies trip say 3 to 4 vehicles one day?

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Hi Peter - You are only 70 - Plenty of kilometers still left in those bones. I am 77 next year and still feel up to travelling and camping. Must be the farm life. My next trip to Gona I would like to use Chinguli as a base and spend at least 4 days in the north then do at least 3 days in the south using Mabaulata as a base. This new causeway is going to be a real blessing in the rainy season. I am thinking maybe end March - begin April could be a good time with everything still green and lush. I have always visited in the winter months. Oct - Dec to hot. My be we should plan an oldies trip say 3 to 4 vehicles one day?
    Mike I would LOVE to do that.
    The timing sounds good.
    Let's keep in touch. Please feel free to PM me with any plans on these lines.

However it ALL ultimately depends on SWAMBO's health situation at the time.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Thanks G_De, I guess one can also follow the new roads there?
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Question Re: New causeway open at Gonarezhou

I am staying at Mabalauta from 21 to 24 March and then heading up to Chilojo 1. Thanks for heads up on Causeway because "official" line seems to be that it is not yet open. I suspect that they are nervous in that it is new and that some of access roads still have works to be completed. Also there is no signage etc. Looking forwards to it and hope access etc is ok!!
    Has anybody actuallu used the causeway??

Quote Originally Posted by davidct View Post
    I am staying at Mabalauta from 21 to 24 March and then heading up to Chilojo 1. Thanks for heads up on Causeway because "official" line seems to be that it is not yet open. I suspect that they are nervous in that it is new and that some of access roads still have works to be completed. Also there is no signage etc. Looking forwards to it and hope access etc is ok!!Has anybody actuallu used the causeway??
    Hi David,I have emailed Gonarezhou Management and have asked for the response

Quote Originally Posted by davidct View Post
    I am staying at Mabalauta from 21 to 24 March and then heading up to Chilojo 1. Thanks for heads up on Causeway because "official" line seems to be that it is not yet open. I suspect that they are nervous in that it is new and that some of access roads still have works to be completed. Also there is no signage etc. Looking forwards to it and hope access etc is ok!!Has anybody actuallu used the causeway??
    RESPONSE FROM GONAREZHOU MANAGEMENT>Regarding the causeway it is still technically closed to visitors because we are working on the approach roads on the other side, as well as all the signage. Some visitors have used it but we do not recommend it as the signs are not up yet. Further the roads to the causeway will be completely closed to visitors from 24th February 26th March. Guests may view from the Chipinda side but cannot cross the causeway as work is happening on the other side.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

I Had the pleasure in using it middle December 2019. An absolutely beautiful structure.
    They are now in partnership with the Frankfort Zooalogical Society and all the facilities are in excellent condition . I will return to this park any day