Garmin map update error - Fenix

Default Garmin map update error - Fenix

Hi,

I have searched the net for days now, spent countless hours deleting and reloading, and cannot find a solution.

I purchased both the Fenix 6x and 530 bundle recently, and although I have managed to update maps for all regions BUT Topoactive Africa, on both devices.

various install progress and then error, I have tried removing Garmin Express, reloading express, removing devices , reloading devices, hardwired my Mac to fiber to make sure maybe it was wifi issues but I run a stable 120mb line up and down so not that.

I tried downloading basecamp to work around through there. no idea how basecamp works yet.

This seems to be a common problem, with a few workarounds I can't figure out.

being that Africa is a 4.8gb file and the largest of the lot, I assumed it was a storage issue, but I have well over 10gb on the 530 open, my understanding is that Garmin deletes the current map, and reinstalls the new updated one, and that the error seems to be that garmin gets a hiccup deleting the original map.

I am technically challenged so going into the back end to manually delete maps scares me.

Being the devices I have they do not have SD cards I can manually download and load either.

I am at the end of my rope trying to find a solution and there is few things as annoying as having an update outstanding every time you view your device, and the one map that I actually want.

Default Re: Garmin map update error - Fenix

Go read here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/..._Garmin/Format

Rename your files to *.old on the device and retry loading the maps.

Hope you come right.

Best regards,
    Ultralight

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Go read here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/..._Garmin/Format

Rename your files to *.old on the device and retry loading the maps.

Hope you come right.

Best regards,
    Ultralight
    let me give it a try, I must just find my maps on my device, but that explains a bit thank you

For anyone experiencing the same, it seems to be an issue on Garmin end, and they are trying to fix it with an update soon

"Thank you for contacting Product Support.
    Sorry to hear about your issue.

Regrettably, this is an issue we have picked up related to updating the TopoAfrica V6 maps on all the devices.

We are currently waiting on a forthcoming software updated, which will be provided by our software engineers in due time to resolve this issue. In the current time, your device is installed with Topo Maps that you can use.

Please can i ask for the following info so i can add you as an impacted user.

To Access The Sync Reports and App Diagnostics

1. From you "My Day" Screen, tap on the "More" button on your Gamin Connect Mobile App. If you are using an iOS device, you would find this on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. If Android, it will be on the top-left of your screen, depicted using three stacked horizontal lines.
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the list of options, till you select the option "Settings".
    3. Under the heading "Tech Details" you would then find the "App Diagnostics" and "Sync Reports" options there.

I would then require you to access each of those options individually, where you would select the "Share" button (depicted with a three dotted button) in order to attach both the Sync Reports and the App Diagnostics, as requested above.
    Please may you include the Garmin Folder with your mail.

1. Connect the Garmin device to the computer
    2. Press the Windows key + E on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer/File Explorer
    3. Select This PC (Windows 10 only)
    4. Open the Garmin drive listed1
    5. Right-click the Garmin Folder and select Copy2
    6. Right-click on the Desktop and select Paste
    7. Double-click the new Garmin folder on the Desktop
    8. Drag all Disk Image Files (.img files) to the Recycle Bin
    9. Drag the Map folder to the trash if present
    10. Close the Garmin folder window
    11. Right-click the Garmin folder on the desktop
    12. Select Send to
    13. Select Compressed (zipped) folder
    14. Attach the new Garmin.zip file on the desktop to an e-mail reply

NOTE: The Garmin.zip file cannot exceed 25MB when emailing it to Product Support. If Garmin.zip exceeds 25 MB after following these instructions, delete the following items from the copied Garmin folder on the desktop before compressing it again:

• Screen or Scrn folder

.FIT files in the Activity folder that are older than 30 days"

You have probably seen (or even posted) this - but in case you didn't:

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-re...-fenix-6-fails
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2019/12/18 at 10:31 AM.

Cool Re: Garmin map update error - Fenix

I found this website and revived an old Garmin with 2020 maps for South Africa

https://www.mapmania.info/garmin/fil...0africa-garmin

1. register on website
    2. download file ; south africa_gmapsupp.img
    3. rename it to ; gmapsupp.img
    4. save it under "Garmin" folder
    5. place card in your Garmin gps.

on your Garmin device,
    1. go to settings
    2. my maps
    3. select mapmania, if it is not selected already

Enjoy