Very bad experience with NDM - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Very bad experience with NDM

As I remember Nakoma asked advice from the forum in a rather fragmented and detailed way.
    I am somewhat surprised that around that same time in August NDM was on the job of getting reservations made.
    As I remember the planned journey was still moving at that time.
    It is hard for a travel agency to hit a target that is moving. I have no experience with NDM but with others and I prefer to have a general plan and let them work on the details.

However indeed I am surprised by the reaction of NDM.

Anyhow, a saying in my country is that where work is
    done, mistakes are made and that we know people who do not make mistakes.

I have used NDM on 2 occasions with excellent results. It will take more than one disjointed complaint to send me elsewhere. First / second language also needs to be considered in the NDM response.

From reading the original post, one of the main problems is the amount of variation introduced during the process with an outcome which would have been expected.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Lost in translation or business suicide....
    1997 Discovery 1 300tdi - Pussy Galore
    1996 Discovery 1 V8 - Mr Creosote

Quote Originally Posted by NDMBots View Post
    Yes I think he will ... bacause of our mistake...I just wish we should have not made a mistake, maybe there are others who dont do mistakes..
    The Chinese have a saying that
    might well apply here :

... if & when you bow your head ...
    bow low ...

🙏🏻
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I think lets keep first and second language use in mind....
    Indeed. I battled to understand Nakoma's very convoluted post, so trying to make his/her bookings must not have been easy, particularly with all the changes (if I understood the post correctly).
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

This is indeed a very strange dispute we have here. I am generally very reluctant to draw any conclusions by knowing just one side of the story. But the confusing fact here is, that the other side (NDM) apparently doesn't want to expose their arguments. They simply buried their heads deep into the sand with the excuse "we have had many clients in that period, we don't know your name". Really??!! Come on, you are not an multinational corporation with millions of clients! How many clients from Netherlands did you have in that period that have required reservations both in Botswana and Namibia? And with all the mentioned places and described details? You were not able to identified that particular client and expose your side of the problem Well, if that is true, there must be something profoundly wrong with your bookkeeping and correspondence recording. And that should ring loud alarm bells to all your potential future clients, IMHO.

Instead, what we got here from this company as a direct response to the disputes from the original poster, was some shameless self praise in another thread and some extremely unprofessional remarks and suggestions to doubtful audience to simply go away, if they have any unpleasant questions about how they run their business. Not good.

First and second language barrier arguments are very much in place and could explain for many misunderstandings here, but other side should simply expose their arguments in this case. With all their international PR that they are practicing here, I think they owe us their side of the story.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrikk View Post
    As I remember Nakoma asked advice from the forum in a rather fragmented and detailed way.
    I am somewhat surprised that around that same time in August NDM was on the job of getting reservations made.
    As I remember the planned journey was still moving at that time.
    It is hard for a travel agency to hit a target that is moving. I have no experience with NDM but with others and I prefer to have a general plan and let them work on the details.

However indeed I am surprised by the reaction of NDM.

Anyhow, a saying in my country is that where work is
    done, mistakes are made and that we know people who do not make mistakes.
    It's true that for some parts of our trip I was not sure in the beginning. At the moment I contacted NDM I was sure about 2 things: Third Bridge and Savuti. So I asked them to make a reservation for that. And that went completely wrong as described before. As soon as I knew what the itinerary would be for the rest of the trip I asked NDM to book that too. And that also went wrong.

Some thoughts on the matter.

Have booked through NDM and end results were good. The problem though is that there are behind the scene prebooking and negotiation that are difficult to suss out, There is another thread about it at present.

Have suspected that there is a prebooking process between Gov, concession holder and booking agents that has made trip booking very tricky and sometimes unsatisfactory, especially when compared to the pre concession holder days.

When you travel in Bots in any park, in or out of season, there are a lot of empty camps around, on all nights you are in the reserve. It is not feasible that all the empties are prebooked prepaid and simply not patronised. There has to be behind the scenes shenanigans.Who is the loser, the agent who has prebooked? unlikely as their fee is low at R 500 or P 500 per trip. The concession holder? who knows as the terms of the agreement of concession are not known. The parks authority or Gov? or a combination.

Having to book a year in advance is very awkward as many have business or social commitments that cant be fixed a year before. Yet i get the impression that there is a wholesale prebooking process going down that is not transparent and the result is a high real vacancy factor that must be hurting someone.

Another thought - i wish that there was good collaboration between parties, even if enforced legally, where the tourist was given the benefit of the doubt and better trips planned so that repeat business is guaranteed. I imagine getting a list of 20 or 30 available camps, even for a day, so that more logical itineraries can be planned, instead of getting 7 or 8 in not so logical places because there is too much competition in the agents and not enough transparency. Makes the choice of agent difficult - those who have connections may have better offers?

Any thoughts out there?

Shennagins exactly the same as in Kruger campsites....
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

It does not matter who was at fault.

For the response of the service provider - Shocking, very unprofessional and absolutely full of arrogance - the norm of late from service providers i see.

Could have apologized and found away to rectify / correct / compensate / sort it out to do some damage control.

Now, image damage is thriving.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Son driving it now
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

I agree that a language barrier was a part of the problem here. English is not my first language. However I didn't have problems with this with other companies where people spoke good English, but obviously it might have been easer if English would at least have been my first language. Because I guess English is not the first language for NDM either. I noticed some misunderstandings in the emails between us. That's why I decided to make a very clear list with only the dates and names of the campsites that I wanted to be booked. So there could be no misunderstandings anymore. I thought And yes, there might also be some differences because of culture. I'm not used to the fact that when I only ask for availability, a company immediately sais it has been booked. But later it appears not to be booked. I can imagine that for example for somebody from Botswana it might be easier, because you're used to the way people work. But still, even if I take that into account, I believe that in this case too many things went wrong.

In NDM's defence, despite the accusations, whatever may be transferred. We used NDM in June July to book 3 weeks in Botswana and their service and general communication was excellent.

Of course I am very sorry about the difficulties, its never fun and very stressful.
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 2019/12/19 at 08:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2