Towing vehicle & day to day use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Towing vehicle & day to day use

Good Day all...
    I haven't posted on the site for some time... only did reading and now and again looking for advice.
    I now however have a question relating to a relevant towing as well as everyday use vehicle.
    Pappa se trokkie - 2012 Isuzu KB 250 4x2 (KB72)

Swambo se faithfull - Hyundai ix35 2.0 GL /Premium

Default Re: Towing vehicle & day to day use

My question is...
    I need a stronger vehicle as the wife's Hyundai ix35 does not do the trick, or rather let me put it this way... It is actually HER vehicle abd I do not want to put any further strain on it when towing the caravan when we go away weekends / holiday / etc...

So I need some advise on what to purchase.
    I have been reading up on all the different varieties... but obviously need something that won't kill me on fuel usage... as mentioned this will be the daily driver as well as towing vehicle.

*Not more than R90,000
    *either double cab / suv

Say it for me Hedgehog, I see you lurking here.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Must it be 4x4? Do you want low range?

Hi,
    Nope... no need to be 4x4 / low range...

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Say it for me Hedgehog, I see you lurking here.

I rather just left it...

But the Disco guys will be here soon

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

I cant see there being a car out there for R90k that will do the job better than the ix35, in terms of power, RELIABILITY, and consumption.

Carry on using the ix35, just pull the van at 90km/h instead of 140km/h, and save R90k.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

So something with low-end grunt yet economical and comfortable for day-to-day use. What about a well-maintained older BMW 530/330d or Merc C/E320CDI? If you really don't want to go the sedan route, you can search for a bargain Pajero Gen3 Di-D. Perhaps even an older Merc M-Class diesel if you're lucky. Trawl the 'net and you may find a Ford Ranger/Everest 3.0 TDCI 2WD; those things tow like a dream and the 4x4's will be too expensive.

2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I cant see there being a car out there for R90k that will do the job better than the ix35, in terms of power, RELIABILITY, and consumption.

Carry on using the ix35, just pull the van at 90km/h instead of 140km/h, and save R90k.

LOL.. Yip that's about how she drives it..

Perhaps the "Old" Tucson diesel??

Quote Originally Posted by Nuweling View Post
    Perhaps the "Old" Tucson diesel??
    I wouldn't tow with an older small capacity diesel. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    I wouldn't tow with an older small capacity diesel. Seriously.
    Agreed, and like mentioned before. You will not find something better than the IX35 for R90k. You can get a old Prado v6 for that price but then the fuel consumption is going to be a bit high.

I think what the OP is looking for is already in the garage.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Feelings on any JEEP owners?

Nissan Pathfinder LE YD25 140kw 450nm

Strong as an ox, spacious, 7 seats or 5 plus HUGE boot, extremely comfortable ride. Nissan parts are expensive but most of the run of the mill and service parts are available from Midas or Autozone at very affordable prices. What they don't have, Marinus at Terrain Tamer in Bloemfontein can get (even import) and courier it to you.

My one runs 8lt per 100km on the open road at an indicated 115kph. At an indicated 125 to 130 it runs 9 to 10lt per 100km.

In town I am impatient, and I drive it quite hard, and boy, can those 140kw/450nm make it move quickly. Then it can run from 13 to high 14lts per 100km.

I bought mine 6 and a half years ago and I am so happy with it, I won't get rid of it in a hurry. It is now on just short of 190k km.

The Pathfinder is only available in 4wd, with 2wdh, 4wdh, 4wdl and an "Auto" option where it runs in 2wdh, but automatically swaps to 4wdh when required. Nissans can change from 2wdh to 4wdh on the fly at up to 80kph.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/12/12 at 09:29 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...ueltype=Diesel

There is even a V9X (V6 diesel, 175 kw/550nm MONSTER) in that selection!!

Under R100k - https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...ueltype=Diesel

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...a-V9X-problems

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...san-Pathfinder

The Nissan Pathfinder was first shown in SA at the 2004 Jhb Auto show as a Dune Hawk, but in production, renamed to Pathfinder. Two years later a bakkie version appeared and named the Navara. The Pathfinder's rear coils made way for leaf springs in the D22 Navara, but in the latest D23, the Navara also now has rear coils.

I fitted rear Air Helper Springs (Airbags) in the rear of my Pathfinder.

I am in Kensington, I can show you my Pathy and let you take it for a spin. you will love the power!! Kensington is not far from you in All Burton.....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/12/12 at 11:40 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...ueltype=Diesel

There is even a V9X (V6 diesel, 175 kw/550nm MONSTER) in that selection!!

Under R100k - https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...ueltype=Diesel

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...a-V9X-problems

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...san-Pathfinder

The Nissan Pathfinder was first shown in SA at the 2004 Jhb Auto show as a Dune Hawk, but in production, renamed to Pathfinder. Two years later a bakkie version appeared and named the Navara. The Pathfinder's rear coils made way for leaf springs in the D22 Navara, but in the latest D23, the Navara also now has rear coils.

I fitted rear Air Helper Springs (Airbags) in the rear of my Pathfinder.

I am in Kensington, I can show you my Pathy and let you take it for a spin. you will love the power!! Kensington is not far from you in All Burton.....
    You sound like salesman of the year! But yes, to the OP, you need something with low-down TORQUE. Pathy, Ford 3.0 TDCI, Mits 3.2 Di-d or (probably too expensive) Isuzu 3.0.

Thanks all.... Will definitely look at these options..
    Pathfinder might be in the right direction...
    Does the Pathfinder and Navara have / use same drivetrain / mechanicals?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuweling View Post
    Does the Pathfinder and Navara have / use same drivetrain / mechanicals?
    Basically the same, except for the rear axle, with the rear diff and rear brakes being the most significant difference.

The Navara comes with a solid rear axle with drum brakes and leaf springs and a limited slip diff (not sure if all models or if only on the top (LE) models)

The Pathfinder somes with rear traction control, independent rear suspension, rear coils and rear disc brakes.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/12/13 at 12:26 PM.
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Basically the same, except for the rear axle, with the rear diff and rear brakes being the most significant difference.

The Navara comes with a solid rear axle with drum brakes and leaf springs and a limited slip diff (not sure if all models or if only on the top (LE) models)

The Pathfinder somes with rear traction control, independent rear suspension, rear coils and rear disc brakes.
    Did you fit the front locker yourself? Which brand ?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast