Dooms Day-what if the GRID fails?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Dooms Day-what if the GRID fails?

Assuming that we had all the facts and we then realized just how close we are to the precipice, how do you see this unfolding. Lets look at 3 scenarios:
    The good, the bad and then lastly the most likely scenario somewhere in between.

Just maybe this will assist someone somewhere to be that little bit more prepared to mitigate a bad situation.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Default Re: Dooms Day-what if the GRID fails?

Then you'd number of guns and a hell lot of ammo, in my opinion.

This thread will be deleted or locked shortly Seems the doomsday, prepping and where our country is going topic is taboo.

You will need to look elsewhere to see what others plan B is. The blinkers are on, and we all are told nothing is wrong.

But I'll watch anyway, this should be good.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I would look at my immediate needs as I am currently living:
    Money - leading up to such a failure hard currency like gold and silver have much more bargaining power than notes
    Fuel - you need to get around so storing some for about 30 days. I will invest in a bicycle or two as I am close to where I work. Alternative fuels for cooking too.
    Food - non perishable but fresh food producers need to off load a lot quickly. I already make my own jams, preserves and I pickle. Will just have to ramp up production fast.
    Water - store as much as possible and use frugally.
    Medicine - most common illnesses need only basic stuff to treat. A couple of doses of antibiotics, rehydration salts, anti-inflammatories, analgesics and antiseptic
    Ingenuity - need lots of those

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Assuming that we had all the facts and we then realized just how close we are to the precipice, how do you see this unfolding. Lets look at 3 scenarios:
    The good, the bad and then lastly the most likely scenario somewhere in between.

Just maybe this will assist someone somewhere to be that little bit more prepared to mitigate a bad situation.

The Good - We have no load shedding at all, not even prospects of it.

The Bad - Total loss of the grid, will take 2-3 weeks to get it back on line. During that time we will run out of water as water needs to be pumped. We will have total chaos in the traffic, everywhere will be gridlocked during peak hour traffic, public transport (trains) will not run meaning people will not be able to travel to work. Small businesses wont be able to survive, many will shut shop leaving hordes of people without work or an income. The mining and manufacturing industry will lose millions in lost production and those on the edge of bankruptcy will be pushed over that edge. This too will lead to further job loses. The production rates on locally manufactured goods will fall drastically, leading to shortages of the basics, then prices increasing due to the shortage.

Hell i could go on and on. with the knock on effects.

The Most Likely Scenario - We will have load shedding on and off, between Stages 2 and 4, for the next 2-3 years until we find a solution to the Eskom problem.

Thats how i see it anyway.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Eskom equipment can not support loadshedding. They are heading for a total meltdown as more and more substations and equipment get pushed over the edge. Our neighborhood is complaining about appliances packing up left right and center.

If it all goes off, water stops running in 24 hours, sewage starts pushing back in a mere few days. No communications, no card transaction, no fuel within a few days. Everything you could buy, will be very expensive. BEE shopping as soon as they run out resources at home.

I doubt getting to work will be on a list of things to do.

My prediction, 3 days to total chaos and anarchy. You want to be in your "safe place".
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Food
    Water
    Fuel
    LOTS OF GUNS & AMMO

Pray (if youre that way inclined)
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (new problem child)
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

Why worry about traffic and getting to work? How many of us can actually function at work if there is no power for extended periods?

I honestly think that if the Grid goes down for say 3 weeks, it would be utter chaos. Think Walking Dead scenario. People will be panicking and desperate, and desperate people are unpredictable, anything can (and most probably will) happen.

With the loss of power comes loss of water (which needs to be pumped), and you will die without clean water long before lack of food becomes an issue. Service stations will run out of fuel, so even your generator won't last long. Your bank cards will be useless within a day or 2. ATM's will run dry on day 1 probably as people scurry to get cash. Shops will all be closed within days when the generators run dry. Then the looting will start. Because there is no water, toilets cannot be flushed, so people will have to do their business outside. Especially in densely populated areas airborne bacteria and disease will spread, killing many as doctors surgeries will be closed and hospitals overrun.
    Roads will be a disaster, so a platkar will be useless.

Safest place you can be is bunkered in your own house, well armed and well stocked on non perishable food items and fresh clean drinking water.

We are 4 families that have a plan and location in place where we will ride it out. 1 of the families has a farm about 40 min drive from the city. There is a generator there (with a large diesel tank on the farm), that we can run a couple of hours everyday, to keep meat in freezers frozen, there are also some animals on the farm for fresh meat. There are solar panels with battery backup that can run some lights. There is lots of wood for cooking. There is also 4 large JOJO tanks and a dam keeping water that can be boiled and disinfected for drinking water. There is a french drain system to take care of sewage. We have plenty guns and ammo, well stocked First Aid kits including broad spectrum anti-biotics, and the one lady is a registered nurse who will be on doctor duty. If something like this happens, I take my family, my grab-bag, my firearms and ammo, all the meat in my chest freezer and all non-perishable foods in my kitchen, load the bakkie, and get to the farm a.s.a.p.

People might think I'm crazy, and while I agree that it is sad that we have to plan for something like this, I'd rather plan, than get caught with my pants down.
    Last edited by Brannas; 2019/12/11 at 02:47 PM.

Bingo Brannas. Thats what I see. Your plan B better be in action already.

Just heard that all leave for Eskom Managers cancelled.

Sorry, a bit off topic though.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2019/12/11 at 03:27 PM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

I recon it's going to get messy out there judging by the current level and method of crime. There is no harm in preparing, same as taking out insurance. You may never used it but if you need it it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post

Hope they cancelled their bonuses too
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Eskom may run better without them, half are not needed anyway.

Brannas has summed it up.

Apart from the chaos, the filth will be piling up.
    Have you ever had a water interruption in your home, water is something taken for granted.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

I pray that we never see the worst case scenario, but if we do, it will be utter chaos and lawlessness.

New York City had a two day blackout in 1977 and it resulted in widespread looting & vandalism.
    Pajero 4 LWB
    The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging (Warren Buffet)

Another thing I forgot to mention is telecommunications. Within a couple of days there will be no phones, internet, Whats App, nothing.

Like I have parents, a sister and a very elderly Grandma on the other side of the country (1250km away).

There will be no communication or reaching them in the time the power is down.

Will be very tough and emotionally draining, not knowing if they are surviving.
    Last edited by Brannas; 2019/12/11 at 03:50 PM.

Brannas, most carriers are already sitting without battery backup at most their towers due to theft. Some have put in generators, which also don't last long. On the West Coast here, we have Telkom signal for around an hour after the power goes off. My buddy on MTN goes onto roaming immediately.

If you want to see what you could expect, check out the conditions in Venezuela. Won't also take too long for your hard earned savings to be worth nothing when the rand/dollar falls to oblivion. But I like it, I wait for it to drop like it did a few days ago to pay may accounts, I get slightly more done when its gone to pot. My dollar labour rate does not change.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Brannas, most carriers are already sitting without battery backup at most their towers due to theft. Some have put in generators, which also don't last long. On the West Coast here, we have Telkom signal for around an hour after the power goes off. My buddy on MTN goes onto roaming immediately.

If you want to see what you could expect, check out the conditions in Venezuela. Won't also take too long for your hard earned savings to be worth nothing when the rand/dollar falls to oblivion. But I like it, I wait for it to drop like it did a few days ago to pay may accounts, I get slightly more done when its gone to pot. My dollar labour rate does not change.
    I have a Customer who buys loads of abrasives from us. But the oke works from a little office in his house.

So I ask him about it. He supplies abrasives products to Automotive Engineering shops, but all overseas companies. He takes orders online through his website, gets paid in USD, and as he has orders to fulfill he buys it from us and ships it to his customers. He says he doesn't give a hoot about the SA Rand, the worse it is, the more he makes because he gets his money in Dollars.

So yes, if you plan or set up your business/income stream correctly, you can use it to your advantage.

Nou kan hulle net nog meer steel.

Need to go back to have radios for communication ...
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast