Dooms Day-what if the GRID fails? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Dooms Day-what if the GRID fails?

On 7 March 2019, Venezuela was affected by the first in a series of concurrent, nation-wide blackouts. The first large outage was partially resolved by March 14,[203][204] but smaller outages persisted in some regions for days afterwards,[205] and a second multi-day outage began on March 25 with ongoing.[23] During the month of March, Venezuela was without power for at least 10 days overall.[206] The blackouts stemmed from the failure of Simón Bolívar Hydroelectric Plant (Guri Dam) in the state of Bolívar, and left most of the country of nearly 32 million in darkness.[207] By March 12, power began returning to some parts of the country, but Caracas remained only partially powered and western Venezuela remained dark.[22] Government officials claimed the blackout was "an act of sabotage," while experts attributed the failure to aging infrastructure and insufficient maintenance.[208][22] At least 43 deaths have been reported and attributed to the blackouts,[209]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._power_outages
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Just heard that all leave for Eskom Managers cancelled.

Sorry, a bit off topic though.
    I hope Christmas bonuses have been cancelled too
    1992 Disco 1 200tdi

Quote Originally Posted by defender200tdi View Post
    I hope Christmas bonuses have been cancelled too
    Well clearly, Xmas party’s were not:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...-a-xmas-lunch/

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Cannot find any reference to this, on these kind of threads, I think we must institute a rule that any statement like that should be backed up with references.
    Yes please, that would be most welcome.
    Credible references.
    Too much FUD happening around, actually everywhere.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

I'm OK with back up power for 10 hours plus, what I need is a water tank that I can fit in the roof, must be able to go through the ceiling trap door, anyone know where I can buy one.

Just remember, if you leave your house for the country, there would be absolutely nothing left of it when you get back to it?

For townspeople, the best I think is to stay put and keep the whole neighborhood secure.
    When the grid fails, the first thing to probably do is, is to fill all your containers, baths and basins with water, only for drinking.
    No water to be used for anything not necessary.

In advance, I think its good to have your car always filled up, and an extra 50/100liters in garage.
    Keep small variety of canned food.
    Electricity supply are gonna be with us for next couple of years.
    Maybe good idea to have small solar system in place, just enough to run fridge and one or two lights.

As Ive said, although it might sound nice to ride it out in the bush, it wont be so great when you get back to your stripped out house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-12-16 at 8.25.27 AM.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	551030

Just for info;

Zapiture
    Defender D90 2.8 2003

The 2.8i was not sold at all in 2003.Sales were 1997-2002(only 33 in 2002,total units sold 1 395 of which about 650 were 90's)
    Defender 110 H/T 2.8i(Fully Loaded!) ; Disco 3 V8 HSE
    Evil C

I think most of us today know how to deal with loadshedding. The longer they get, the more prepared we become.

What we have no idea of, bar good advises and theories, is what happens after 2-3 days of a national grid failure:
    No cash or internet banking.
    No phones
    No food - trucks stop running
    Effect on hospital and out-patients relying on electricity to recuperate
    Morgues overflowing
    Sewage backup in certain areas
    The police nor the military can mount organised actions
    ... this list gets very long ...

With a total national blackout, we have NO idea of what can become of SA.
    Total anarchy is a fact ... and we have NO experience on how to deal with that.

And it will not be a race thing no. Just desperate people wanting to feed their kids, each protecting their own.
    But, people living in squatter camps are 10 times more versatile and "experienced" than the rest of us living in our bubbles.

How is that?
    If a countries grid fails, on a nationally scale, it could take months to years to fix it IF it can be fixed and IF there are funds/loans available.
    Most Western countries today have the same problem i.e. decades old grids yet no funds to redo that infrastructure.
    Engineers have rated even the USA's infrastructure at a D- level.

When a grid fails, some of the key transformers blowing up can take years to be manufactured before they can even be shipped to SA via sea. Then they need to be transported to where they need to be. Do we have the vehicles to transport some of the really big units?

Possible safe havens - very very broadly:
    Buttoning up being part of a suburb / community to protect oneself is one way.
    Leaving cities as individuals another.

One thing that I am trying to figure out though:
    We have a solar system, can go nearly indefinitely (T&C apply) without Eskom and we have water. However, the problems are:
    1) The panels are visible.
    2) You cannot have your lights visible at night.
    3) There are not enough bullets to protect the HAVE's from the HAVE NOT's.

Gets worse:
    On top of that, grids today are susceptible to CME's. (Coronal Mass Ejections)
    One big CME hitting earth has the same result, just on a much larger scale i.e. multiple countries where the grids fail all at once.
    Next to nothing you can do to stop that unless trillions are spent to upgrade that what is - and the world today does not have the funds.

Bottom line:
    Personally I do not see how Eskom can be sorted. Don't have the political will, the funds not the skills today in SA.
    We will get back to a 1800's lifestyle overnight.

Let's hope I am wrong on all counts.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2019/12/16 at 01:30 PM.

Here is a good example of what can happen, and this is just if trucks stop operating:

https://www.trucking.org/ATA%20Docs/...ca%20Stops.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    3) There are not enough bullets to protect the HAVE's from the HAVE NOT's.
    Please.

https://www.dillonprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by andrewl322 View Post
    Please.

Great kits:
    Obviously you have a unlimited supply of all the parts required to make unlimited bullets.
    Magazines, you have enough of them too I presume.
    And you can swap weapons / replace barrels on the rifles at a drop of a hat when they overheat obviously.

And reloading kits ... did you know that they only work IF no-one is shooting at you. :-)

Titbit:
    When I was still young I had the unfortunate experience of being smack in the center of two warring parties in KZN. Our job: Protect the policemen.

There I was, sitting in the cab - was on a 2 month camp after the 2 years of service - wondering: So if all these people start fighting each other, how long (9 of us on the vehicle and 4 policemen talking to the leaders) will our mags last before we are pulled from the vehicle and ripped apart?

Yes, we had 6 mags each per person. Looked VERY intimidating.
    But here is the titbit: Each person had 10 bullets issued to them.
    Now 10 bullets or 6 x 30 each ... neither would have been enough if the +-200 people started fighting.
    Full automatic being very inaccurate and going double taps just not fast enough before you are run over by VERY angry people.

When you face the real thing, you can never ever have enough bullets ... IF you could get your arse into gear to start acting.

Anyone who says differently ... You go Cupcake. :-)
    So you have a 50 / 100 / 500 people coming through your suburb looking for food and water after a few weeks of Eskom failure.
    Some maybe neighbors, parents, woman, kids.
    The only option is to run fast and be very sure of your escape routes (plural).
    Anything else is just the most stupid action you can ever think of taking.

There are not enough bullets, when anarchy takes its hold, to protect oneself.

How long does water stay fresh in this type of plastic containers? Or in a Jojo tank for that matter?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BenvAZA View Post
    How long does water stay fresh in this type of plastic containers? Or in a Jojo tank for that matter?
    Depends on how clean the water was when it was put into the container.
    And where the container is stored i.e. a cool dark room.

I once had distilled water in a large 25l drum. After a few months I discover stuff growing in it.
    Discovered that when the water started to smell a wee bit.
    The container was brand new.

We buy water from Aquazania, the 20l bottles.
    Have kept them for 8 months and they where the same smell and taste as a new bottle.
    All depends how clean the water was when it went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Miller View Post
    Just for info;

Zapiture
    Defender D90 2.8 2003

The 2.8i was not sold at all in 2003.Sales were 1997-2002(only 33 in 2002,total units sold 1 395 of which about 650 were 90's)
    That’s weird. My registration papers state first registration 2003. How can I verify? I’m a bit dumb with this stuff.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Dooms day prophets. Maybe start your own TV program than everybody can laugh with you

Wink Re: Dooms Day-what if the GRID fails?

obviously you have a unlimited supply of all the parts required to make unlimited bullets.
    yes.

magazines, you have enough of them too i presume.
    yes.

and you can swap weapons / replace barrels on the rifles at a drop of a hat when they overheat obviously.
    yes.

and reloading kits ... Did you know that they only work if no-one is shooting at you. :-)
    yes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	551097

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    This thread will be deleted or locked shortly

But I'll watch anyway, this should be good.
    This post did not age well.

Quote Originally Posted by andresm View Post
    Dooms day prophets. Maybe start your own TV program than everybody can laugh with you
    We don't need to make a TV show, if you want to see what we are discussing in action, just go to Venezuela.

And by the way, their president blamed the blackouts on sabotage, exactly the way Ramaphosa did this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannas View Post
    We don't need to make a TV show, if you want to see what we are discussing in action, just go to Venezuela.

And by the way, their president blamed the blackouts on sabotage, exactly the way Ramaphosa did this week.
    Give that man a Bells!

Then there where the fires in California, also resulting in grids going down, blamed on maladministration and corruption, which affected a LOT of people for a long time.

The patterns around grids are generally the same i.e. most grids are middle aged, not maintained as they should be due to lack of funds, corruption and theft whilst more and more power is required by the booming population.

Europe I gather is the furthest down the "upgrade" path to renewable energy where they have negative electricity prices more and more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast