Suzuki GV low range help please

Default Suzuki GV low range help please

Hi All
    new Suzuki GV(auto) owner here... i for some reason seem to be unable to select 4L lock...
    I follow the manual/info card in the sun visor but no luck.
    I:
    * engage N
    turn the transfer knob from 4H to 4H lock, this seem to work as i get the amber light on the dash indicating the lock
    * once i switch over to 4L, the amber 4L light starts blinking
    * as soon as I try select any gear, from L-2-3, it hear an alarm sound and a few second later i get "service ESP" on the dash

Am i doing something wrong? Or is something stuffed on the car?

Default Re: Suzuki GV low range help please

That sounds like a problem on the car. Service ESP would seem to indicate a possible problem with the traction control system.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

thanks replying Kippie
    so my method of engaging is correct?

Hi there,
    If you don't depress the 4x4 Mode selection dial inward while turning towards 4LL, while also simultaneously having your foot on the brake pedal while stationery and with gear lever in Neutral, low range will not engage and you will get that ESP warning flashing a few times. The GV then reverts back to 4Hi or previous mode, but periodically flashes the ESP warning to notify you that the selection dial is in the wrong location. If your kids or dogs accidentally bump that selection dial while the car is off and stored in the garage, you will get the same message once you get in and start the car.

To check the operation of your 4x4 system:

1. Firstly, go to 4hi to 4 hi lock while driving below 100km/h and in a straight line(important). Make sure the 4HI(Lock) diff lock icon is now illuminated in orange on your instrument cluster. This is to ensure the transfer case locks the centre diff lock as an optional test. Don't drive for long distances on tar with the GV in 4Hi, a few forward meters at low speeds will sort you out for this test.
    2. Once 4Hi Lock mode is engaged and showing the diff lock icon, please stop the vehicle completely en keep the engine idling at regular idle speed.
    3. Next, place the gearbox shifter in NEUTRAL on the shift gate while keeping the brake pedal depressed firmly at the same time.
    4. Keep pressure on the brake pedal and then press and turn to the 4x4 mode selection dial from 4H Lock to 4LL. You need to hear a loud metallic clunk as the low range gearing is engaged in around 4-5 seconds. No clunk, no low range.
    5. Lastly, shift the gear lever into D for Drive mode. You should now still have the orange centre diff lock as well as the "4 Low" icons illuminated on your dash board. Now you can remove your foot from the brake pedal and drive off into the sunset. Leave the 3.2 V6 in D for Drive when offroading in low range and let the box do the work for you. Use 1 or 3 only when you really need a specific engine speed, either for sand driving up a dune(3) or descending a steep, slippery hill(1 with Hill Descent mode activated).
    6. Failure to depress the 4x4 model selection dial inward when selecting low range will prevent low range from engaging.
    7. Failure to keep your foot on the brake throughout the selection process will prevent low range from engaing.

If the above does not work out, herewith a trouble shooting walk through that could perhaps be of assistance..
    1, Please check your battery. Make sure that the battery voltage is above 12,7 Volts with engine off and 13,6 or more with engine idling. The "Service ESP system" warning message is also displayed when the ABS braking system detects a low voltage state. I know this, because I had the same warning flashing often when my main harness' ground connection came loose on corrugated gravel in Namibia, or when the alternator voltage regulator needed work.
    2. Check the fuses as per the owners manual for ABS, ESP and low range transfer case. Should be fine if you are only getting this message periodically, but good to check perhaps.
    3. Make sure the transfer case electrical harness is still firmly plugged into the low range gearbox's plastic sensor plug. (you should not have loose wires hanging below the transfer case gearbox). same as above, not convinced it will come loose easily. Good to check, though.

If the voltages are within spec, do the following to RESET THE ESP and STEERING ANGLE SENSOR system:

1. Drive to somewhere where you have at least 200 meters of flat, surfaced roads in a straight line ahead of you.
    2. Line up the car to point straight ahead and ensure that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead and that the steering wheel is in the center position.
    3. Switch off the ignition and remove the key fob from the car then pop the hood.
    4. Disconnect battery terminals completely for about 30 seconds.
    5. Reconnect battery terminals.
    6. Start the car and drive "arrow straight" for 200m without turning the wheel in any direction.
    7. This will reset the steering angle sensor, ESP system(including it's subset of ABS, traction control, etc). You will see a few orange flashes in our instrument cluster and once it stops, you are ready to go.
    8. Now you can retry your 4x4 system outlined above.

If all else fails, visit a dealership for diagnostics, but I hope that this situation gets easily solved without costing money.
    PS never drive or engage "N" on the 4x4 mode selection dial. This is to open the diffs to allow flat towing of the vehicle in emergency offroad situations. For normal driving, the selection dial should always be in 4H only.
    All references to N or Neutral above refers solely to the physical gear lever position on the shift gate of the main transmission.
    Last edited by Kierie; 2019/12/11 at 02:53 PM.
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0L bi-turbo A/T 10Spd 4x4
    Venter Offroader 4x4 trailer with howling moon tent

Previous: Suzuki GV 3.2 V6 A/T
    Current Platkar: BMW F30 330d A/T

thanks Kierie
    Ill go thought this step by step and see how it goes...

Thanks Kierie, very informative. I did not know this.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

This is quite helpful. I believe this is the same issue I once had this time last year as I was about to descend Sani Pass, "ESP needs service" or whatever the message said plus a lot of Beeps went off. Will Remember to exactly do this next time.
    2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
    2011 Landrover Defender 110 Puma SW (sold)