Discovery 4 Discovery 4 Lexus conversion - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Discovery 4 Lexus conversion

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Sorry disagree conversions done well are reliable and just as good, my conversion has not given any trouble, nor have my brothers that he has done in years
    Agree. My dad did conversions on anything and everything he owned, he also did it himself. He did a conversion on his old hilux shortly after he bought it new and we traveled all over africa with that thing, mostly alone and remote areas. These trips were all without incident and he eventlually sold the Lux with about 800k km on.

I have had a few conversions myself, and also often travel solo, no stress.

And obviously a proper conversion does not come cheap.

Clivemd, so if you say modified or converted vehicles are reliable? How much would you say a D3 with this conversion would be worth to you? You guys are also comparing simple vehicles with pretty complicated vehicles.....the Vw Bus's of the 80's were also reliable with the ford v6 conversion, some are still around but comparing that to a modern vehicle like a D4 is not really possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    I think its rediculous to spend R100k on a conversion of which the engine only costs 15-20k. Now you have 1 person who built it and knows what is going on. Break down 1000kms from this guy and you have an issue.

And that is the reason for this sort of conversion......to make money. Why fix a Tdv6 when you can spend say R35k and make R65k on a lexus conversion? Spend a 1/3 or less and make double!

BTW the worlds best engine in the 1940's was considered to be the Ford V8 flat head.......technology has moved on and constantly does so. Claiming the Lexus was the words best engine or whatever almost 20 years ago means nothing.....and the motor you use could possibly be 20 years old also.

My race cars' mechanic did the same conversion on his V6 Nissan hardbody thinking it would be better.....says its the biggest mistake he has made, and his holiday, family vehicle is now standing while he is now trying to source a standard v6 motor to put it back to standard.

Also, R100k for the conversion, say R40k to R80k for the broken Disco = R140k to R180k cost.......who in their right mind is going to pay R150k to R180k for a D4, with this conversion? If your D4 broke rather take your loses and move on or fix it properly.

Anyway good luck to the proclaimed Guru! ....
    Last edited by BruceT; 2019/12/12 at 10:00 AM. Reason: correcting mistakes
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

I did not mention D3 conversion I mentioned D2 and 110, i am not interested in the D3 that why did not comment on the D3
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

I know that but you did say conversions done well are reliable and this topic is about the D3 getting a Lexus motor, so just wanted your opinion as you seem to be supporting this sort of conversion.

Apologies if I misunderstood.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2019/12/12 at 09:43 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    A Lexus V8 with “Crap load of Power”....that is new!
    Since when does those Lexus crappy engines make “Power”?
    OK, rather then just fit a Cressida 2.4 engine or a Ford Essex V6. My reply was to why the Lexus conversion is popular in general, not Discovery-specific. Most of the Lexus conversions are done on old Hiluxes and Cruisers; how does its power compare to the 4Y?? I'll say it again; Disco 3/early 4's at risk of crank failure are old vehicles/high milers and not worth much anyway. If I buy a 3/4 with high km's or with a blown engine but otherwise in good condition for silly money there's no way I'll spend ~R170k on a new TD/SD motor; then I'll just buy a different, newer 4x4. The possibility of a reliable Lexus conversion in Disco 3/4's is very good news to us poorer 4x4ers indeed.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    I know that but you did say conversions done well are reliable and this topic is about the D3 getting a Lexus motor, so just wanted your opinion as you seem to be supporting this sort of conversion.

Apologies if I misunderstood.
    Ahem, D4.
    Its like putting an old beetle motor in an M3, it seems ludicrous to me.

The BMW diesel motor I can kind of understand a little bit more, that might just work.

Anyway, hats off to the chap for wanting to try, and good luck to him, but its going to be an absolute dog of a car I predict.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ahem, D4.

The BMW diesel motor I can kind of understand a little bit more, that might just work.

Anyway, hats off to the chap for wanting to try, and good luck to him, but its going to be an absolute dog of a car I predict.
    With the Lexus conversion it was never meant to be 'restored to former glory'; it's only meant to be a cheap, FUNCTIONAL luxury 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ahem, D4.

Sorry you are right. D4

I agree 100%. Dog of a car with a R100k conversion.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

doesnt a new bottom assembly come in at less than a R100k, add on all the other work and the normal repair bill is around R130k for a snapped crank and you are good for another 200k km?

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    doesnt a new bottom assembly come in at less than a R100k, add on all the other work and the normal repair bill is around R130k for a snapped crank and you are good for another 200k km?
    no, should be good for as long as the engine lasts. as long as the new crank is put in as the strengthened one.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quite a few on here singing the praises of the Lexus in anything other than a lexus which it was meant for.

Ask yourself the question, If the lexus is such a great engine and such a great conversion, why do almost 95% of all who has done a lexus swop try and sell the whatever they plonked that jap into just weeks or a month or two after the conversion?

Like the idiot who traded a D3 TDV6 for a lexfender and then sold it within a month as none of the claimed figures of awesome power and economy could be reach?
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Quite a few on here singing the praises of the Lexus in anything other than a lexus which it was meant for.

Ask yourself the question, If the lexus is such a great engine and such a great conversion, why do almost 95% of all who has done a lexus swop try and sell the whatever they plonked that jap into just weeks or a month or two after the conversion?

Like the idiot who traded a D3 TDV6 for a lexfender and then sold it within a month as none of the claimed figures of awesome power and economy could be reach?
    Over the last three years I've driven an old Sprinter fitted with a Lexus (the original diesel grenaded) on extended tours towing a large trailer full of heavy camping equipment. The performance and economy is great for what it is meant for and the engine has had zero issues thus far. It all depends on who did the conversion and how.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Over the last three years I've driven an old Sprinter fitted with a Lexus (the original diesel grenaded) on extended tours towing a large trailer full of heavy camping equipment. The performance and economy is great for what it is meant for and the engine has had zero issues thus far. It all depends on who did the conversion and how.

I built a Lexus into a '87 Hilux. Drove 25k km sold it and 4 years later still running strong.

It only sounds like all Lexus conversions are failures, the reason for that is you will only hear about the horror stories. Good news is no news!

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post

I think the biggest problem is the claims and the next biggest is the workmanship of the conversion. I've heard that the Lexus is more frugal than a 2.5l diesel engine, and more powerful than an LS. And that a good reliable conversion can be done for 40k. None of these are remotely true.

In my experience the Lexus is about 25% more powerful and economical than the later Rover V8s. Equally torquey when plugging, more when revving hard. Powerwise it's probably mid way between a 4.6 and an LS. Torque wise less than half way.

Conversions are expensive. I did mine myself so labour was free, but I tried to do it right within my limited experience and knowledge.
    It had previously been in a LR so it came with a custom sump and adapter. These items were about 10k in 2012
    I did engine and gearbox management (self installed) but paid a tuner to dyno tune it. That was about 8k all in
    Radiator, hoses and fans were about 7k
    A lot of small things that add up. Wires, connectors, mountings, fabrication, propshafts, hydraulics, etc. New cambelt and service for the motor because you don't know its history
    I doubt you could DIY a decent conversion for under 40k at today's prices. Excluding the cost of an engine.
    Last edited by Hagu13; 2019/12/13 at 11:14 AM.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    For a vehicle that is worth R120k it is hardly worthwhile spending R130k to repair it, so I agree that some sort of conversion is probably necessary, but cannot comment if the Lexus is the right one. Yes, you certainly will not get all the D3 features, but that kite has flown already, sometimes an owner just needs a more affordable method to get the vehicle running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty. View Post

It only sounds like all Lexus conversions are failures, the reason for that is you will only hear about the horror stories. Good news is no news!
    And its exactly the same for the TDV6, you only hear about the few that has gone south
    Last edited by faniedup; 2019/12/13 at 11:48 AM.

I dont ever want to try and sell a Discovery with a Lexus (or any other motor) in it and excuse my scepticism but cant see such a conversion on a D4 or D3 ever working 100%.

Some people dont buy vehicles with the costant thought of how to sell it again. Some buy vehicles to enjoy. Some vehicles dont want to be enjoyed and then you need to make a plan so you can finish what you have bought!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    For a vehicle that is worth R120k it is hardly worthwhile spending R130k to repair it, so I agree that some sort of conversion is probably necessary, but cannot comment if the Lexus is the right one. Yes, you certainly will not get all the D3 features, but that kite has flown already, sometimes an owner just needs a more affordable method to get the vehicle running again.
    Look at it this way. Either you get your Disco which you know well repaired properly with a new sub or you buy a Yaris with the same

Which vehicle would you rather drive in SA ?

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    I dont ever want to try and sell a Discovery with a Lexus (or any other motor) in it and excuse my scepticism but cant see such a conversion on a D4 or D3 ever working 100%.
    Selling a Disco with a conversion would be almost impossible

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast