Default Mahindra Squeaking Noise

My mahindra scorpio pikup 4x4 s/c mhawk 2.2cred (just under 110000km) [brought second hand on 78000km] has developed a squeaking/whistling noise.

It has been for about three weeks and seems to have definitely gotten louder now then it was in the beginning.

The sound starts around 20km/h plus and initially you can hear it intermittently and as my speed increases it just becomes one continuous squeak.

Points to consider:
    I have jumped onto the back of the bakkie but can't work out where the sound is coming from.

Recently both front wheel bearings have been replaced (as the front right collapsed)

I have climbed under and felt the central bearing but it does not seem overly hot.

I used to have a problem that after being in 4x4 for a while and coming back into 2 wheel drive I would have a similar whistling that would eventually go away after driving for a bit and I turned the car off.
    This was never fixed so I don't know if something has not been disengaged from 4x4 although I have gone back into 4x4 since the squeaking but it is still there.

Any advice or things for me to check would be much appreciated.
    I have a few long trips over the December period and would prefer not to have a break down xD

Default Re: Mahindra Squeaking Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Cris-Towns View Post
    My mahindra scorpio pikup 4x4 s/c mhawk 2.2cred (just under 110000km) [brought second hand on 78000km] has developed a squeaking/whistling noise.

It has been for about three weeks and seems to have definitely gotten louder now then it was in the beginning.

The sound starts around 20km/h plus and initially you can hear it intermittently and as my speed increases it just becomes one continuous squeak.

Points to consider:
    I have jumped onto the back of the bakkie but can't work out where the sound is coming from.

Recently both front wheel bearings have been replaced (as the front right collapsed)

I have climbed under and felt the central bearing but it does not seem overly hot.

I used to have a problem that after being in 4x4 for a while and coming back into 2 wheel drive I would have a similar whistling that would eventually go away after driving for a bit and I turned the car off.
    This was never fixed so I don't know if something has not been disengaged from 4x4 although I have gone back into 4x4 since the squeaking but it is still there.

Any advice or things for me to check would be much appreciated.
    I have a few long trips over the December period and would prefer not to have a break down xD
    You most likely have a boost leak on one of the turbo pipes.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Ok I just looked that up now I see it is fairly easy to fix and detect, but how does that cause the squeaking noise?

Just looking around some more it doesn't matter if I am decelerating or accelerating the sound is there? Also my poer doesn't seem to be affected at all?

Ok I just looked that up now I see it is fairly easy to fix and detect, but how does that cause the squeaking noise?
    Does sound like turbo pipe.
    Squeaking or whistling noise would be high pressure gas escaping through a narrow orifice.
    Open the bonnet, rev the engine and you'll get at least a rough idea of where the noise is coming from.
    If no noise, could be something on the drivetrain.

Just looking around some more it doesn't matter if I am decelerating or accelerating the sound is there? Also my poer doesn't seem to be affected at all?
    A pin-hole in a boost pipe will act like a whistle and you wouldn't necessarily lose power.

Other possible causes:

It can be a bearing in a belt tensioner albeit unlikely if the pitch of the squeak doesn't change with engine rpm.

The viscous fan might also be a source of noise.

Alternator bearing or interference with radio.

Clutch release bearing.

Something stuck in the brake system, rubbing against a disc or drum.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2024 Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 DDI LSE 4X4 A/T E/CAB
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Op let us know what it was!

I will definitely let you know what it is when I find out. But for now nothing, I went away this last weekend to mtunzini area and did some great off-roading to the ongoye reserve with river crossings and everything. (This has a point to it but would highly recommend a visit there for climbers and nature lovers alike).

No problems at all during this off-roading, although the squeaking got really bad at one point after a lot of bumpy roads etc. But on my trip back down to Durbs it quietened down a lot and sounds more like a bird chirping somewhere around my car (thought that would be the best way to describe the noise).

Also the 4x4 is working great and the auto rear diff lock is as well so I do not necessarily think my earlier assumptions are correct about it being something to do with the 4x4.

Anyway will be heading down into the transkei in about a week so hopefully what ever it is will hold up while I am down there.

Will try checkout the brakes in the meantime.

I also have a squeaking noise from the front right of my 2.5 Scorpio ldv when in 4H and have traveled for over 5km originally and when I last heard it, about 30km. It has appeared less and less the more I drive in 4x4. So I found the solution to this irritating problem. Just go off-road in 4x4 more.
    My Life Loving It