Poncho

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poncho

Default Poncho

If you own and use a poncho as a rain jacket, which one do you use?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Default Re: Poncho

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    If you own and use a poncho as a rain jacket, which one do you use?
    In that bag of tricks I had at the GTG, I keep a poncho. I picked it up in Ireland a couple of years back. No name brand but I have been using it since 1994.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

You have a well sorted bag of tricks Estee

Just checked. No tags on it. The inside is like a Drizzabone, oiled and the outside is a ticht nylon weave. Makes a good tarp also.

I havent come across anything like it here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191211_075404.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	550591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191211_075059.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	550592

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

Used my old army Poncho for many years, combined with the "bivvy seil" was my "tent" at many bike rallies even used it as a makeshift "bath" in a stream for "newby" campers, that insisted on a bath while bush camping

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurmaker View Post
    Used my old army Poncho for many years, combined with the "bivvy seil" was my "tent" at many bike rallies even used it as a makeshift "bath" in a stream for "newby" campers, that insisted on a bath while bush camping
    There is an idea, as I might get to Debben soon I must go have a look at the military surplus store there.

Riaan, the co-co-op also usually has a selection. There must be some kind of agricultural shop around your area. I got most of mine from there over the years.

RvW, let me guess..
    You need a poncho to keep IT ARE TIMING in the rain
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Riaan, the co-co-op also usually has a selection. There must be some kind of agricultural shop around your area. I got most of mine from there over the years.
    The TWK here doesn't know what a poncho is, the other Farmer's Co Op doesn't stock them, made some calls yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    RvW, let me guess..
    You need a poncho to keep IT ARE TIMING in the rain

Was playing a golf day on Saturday, in the rain. The poncho's kept us dry and even improved our game by at least a few shots...

You say you got yours in 1994? I did not realize they could last that long. This one I bought on Saturday morning and it was done by early afternoon
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    There is an idea, as I might get to Debben soon I must go have a look at the military surplus store there.
    Riaan to which one do you go to, in the Berea? When I was there last time they had nothing of the sorts. I was actually looking for an old army bivvy, those are so handy, but they only had odd & ends and some shirts, pants & the odd coat.

If there are any others please let me know and I will gladly check it out for you.

To answer your question, I use a poncho bought in Vietnam, but quite thick plastic (PVC?) material. The one shown by Estee looks a better all-rounder.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

https://www.builders.co.za/Protectiv...BoCjH0QAvD_BwE

Maybe look at this one from Builders. Dont know what the quality is like. You might find them at Johnsson, Outdoor warehouse, Trappers and the likes as well
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

First Ascent have just brought out a new poncho - https://www.firstascent.co.za/ultral...ucksack-poncho

Name:	Poncho.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	550621
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Riaan to which one do you go to, in the Berea? When I was there last time they had nothing of the sorts. I was actually looking for an old army bivvy, those are so handy, but they only had odd & ends and some shirts, pants & the odd coat.

If there are any others please let me know and I will gladly check it out for you.

To answer your question, I use a poncho bought in Vietnam, but quite thick plastic (PVC?) material. The one shown by Estee looks a better all-rounder.
    I was going to go to Sad Sacks ( have never been there) but calling them this morning the lady told me they have nothing in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    https://www.builders.co.za/Protectiv...BoCjH0QAvD_BwE

Maybe look at this one from Builders. Dont know what the quality is like. You might find them at Johnsson, Outdoor warehouse, Trappers and the likes as well
    I tried Johnsons they make rain suits only. Outdoor Warehouse has the one Andy posted below.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    First Ascent have just brought out a new poncho - https://www.firstascent.co.za/ultral...ucksack-poncho

Name:	Poncho.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	550621
    Looks good, price is making my eyes water though. It is three bottles of Captain Morgan that

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    Was playing a golf day on Saturday, in the rain. The poncho's kept us dry and even improved our game by at least a few shots...

You say you got yours in 1994? I did not realize they could last that long. This one I bought on Saturday morning and it was done by early afternoon
    Wahahahahahahhaahhahaha.......................... stadig Boet, stadig

I still owns a Carimor poncho from my hiking days.

Also have a Jonsson two piece extra srength Rainsuit.

Not for rain though, but the image below is from Hill People Gear, it is called the Mountain Serape, it is basically a sleeping bag, mountain coat and poncho all in one, this is my go to anywhere, high quality USA made gear at a high price aswell, your looking at upwards of $200.00 excl all other costs to get it here, buy once cry once type of deal with this.

Thanks Raider, overkill for my needs it is. It is very humid here and I battle with my normal raincoats when I have to wear them so just looking for something to drape over the shoulders under my hat.

[QUOTE=Riaan van Wyk;4287667]I was going to go to Sad Sacks ( have never been there) but calling them this morning the lady told me they have nothing in stock.

Yip that's the one. Got the right name.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast