Power for a modem - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Power for a modem

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Easy, I just connect the regular car battery charger and charge it till full.

OK granted its not an automatic solution, one still needs to plug and unplug the setup yourself but since I am still more or less not dead yet I can easily do it without working up a sweat
    OK - my point however being that one still has to add a charger to the mix to get a full solution.

And an automatic seamless solution is still a win as sometimes it is inconvenient to swap out things to make it work. (wife has to do it or system is not in an easy access place, like in a cupboard etc.)

If anything goes wrong with our WiFi network or entertainment systems it invariably happens while I am away on business.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I do have the famed Midas (Keith's) 12v charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Look carefully. This unit is no good to you. It needs a 12V input to charge it. That is to say you still need to purchase a 12V supply/charger to make it work.

Go for Richards PUP.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

The power unit to be plugged into 220V which came with the modem specifies 2 Amps output - I presume one cannot just connect a 12v input to the modem?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

An auto solution is the first prize.....

OK - my point however being that one still has to add a charger to the mix to get a full solution.

And an automatic seamless solution is still a win as sometimes it is inconvenient to swap out things to make it work. (wife has to do it or system is not in an easy access place, like in a cupboard etc.)

If anything goes wrong with our WiFi network or entertainment systems it invariably happens while I am away on business.

So modify your modem/wifi to run permanently off the biggest sealed 12v battery that will fit in the location you want it to, which is also being charged whenever the mains are on, just like a gate motor. Ever noticed how your gate seamlessly keeps on working after Eksdom goes away? It's always running off the battery.

No need to add an expensive pure wave inverter to the mix (you don't really want to use a cheap square wave on any electronics)
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/12/10 at 10:29 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    So modify your modem/wifi to run permanently off the biggest sealed 12v battery that will fit in the location you want it to, which is also being charged whenever the mains are on, just like a gate motor. Ever noticed how your gate seamlessly keeps on working after Eksdom goes away? It's always running off the battery.

No need to add an expensive pure wave inverter to the mix (you don't really want to use a cheap square wave on any electronics)
    You don’t need an inverter. Just a battery permanently connected to the modem and charger.

Just like a gate motor.

HOWEVER - this may be OK for a home DIY solution, but is seriously frowned upon in a more complex setup.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

You don’t need an inverter. Just a battery permanently connected to the modem and charger.

Just like a gate motor.

HOWEVER - this may be OK for a home DIY solution, but is seriously frowned upon in a more complex setup.
    No, I don' think a 1st world data centre would want to somma install some cheap batteries with crocodile clips in their server racks, but we are referring to Africa, where anything goes We make a plan. I guess it all depends on just how far you want to go to stay online at home, or even at your smallish office.

Point is, as far as the OP goes, if it's already 12V, I wouldn't bother stepping the voltage up to 220VAC only to bring it back down to 12VDC. While that will work, you are just wasting precious battery power. So remove the middleman, and stay online for longer.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/12/10 at 11:54 PM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

As already stated the little 12v chargers that comes with allot of little home routers is relatively easy to swap out with alternate units or alternate supply sources

By the way lots of guys showing their age stating MODEM

What you are talking about now is an Router and it does not convert digital signal into analogue one the way an MODEM did

MODEM was used for analogue phone lines to convert digital signal into analogue signal and back again at the other end
    It stood for modulate - demodulate and those started going the way of the Dodo when ISDN lines started coming in (Integrated service digital network)
    Those started losing popularity when DSL became available (mostly ADSL in SA)
    But MODEM's aren't generally in use anymore
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    The power unit to be plugged into 220V which came with the modem specifies 2 Amps output - I presume one cannot just connect a 12v input to the modem?
    Yes you can. They use any old PSU. (The router manufacturers don't make the power adapters. They are made by power adapter manufacturers like Delta who make zillions of these..)
    Laptop PSUs are more tricky. They sometimes have handshake circuits to ensure you use the bespoke one (sold at a healthy price as far as the vendor is concerned!)

Just like a gate motor.

This is the message I have been trying to get through to the world!
    It leads on to the subject of DC microgrids (i.e. no need for AC at all)
    See: https://www.economist.com/finance-an...frica-and-asia

But as Uncle Fluff points out this isn't the grand solution for the rich world.
    But if it works for load shedding then what-the-hell..

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    Hier is nog n paar fotos fan ander rigtings.

Attachment 550562
    Attachment 550563
    Attachment 550564

Attachment 550565

Attachment 550566

Attachment 550567

Attachment 550568

Niks spesiaals nie . Sommer maar net n boer maak n plan situasie. Het nie baie tyd aan dit gespandeer nie. Ek het maar net n paar spaar planke aan mekaar gesit om die batery in te hou (102 Ah) "SuperPower" chinese cheapy battery. n bruggie gebou om die inverter op vas te sit. Met n DC volt meter en n skakelaar om die volt meter te kan aan en af sit. Die rooi houer vir die volt meter het ek sommer ge 3d print, maar jy kan dit ook uit hout uit bou. Die shunt om amps te meet is nie gekoppel nie. weet nie hoe om dit te doen nie.

Ek rol hom in my sit kamer in en gebruik n oprol koord om watook al te kopel.

Die inverter is wel 700Watt maar ek dink nie dit sal wys wees om 700watt te trek nie. Ek dink 10amps en minder van die battery af is veilig. (Ek reken 10% van die battery se Ah rating sal nie skade doen nie)
    Tnx. Ek het n victron 800w inverter en n paar los batterye wat ek so iets gaan bou vir backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    A low cost solution is the 12V intelligent charger connected to a 12V battery (7Ah) permanently. From the battery 12V is connected to the router if it is 12V. If 9V or lower one just regulates the voltage lower to suit. This way you will have 6hours use of the router. Total cost about R600 battery included.

Currently busy with a load test on a premium quality 7Ah battery with new name and without the charger connected since 13h00 the battery is still on 12.68V after 9 hours with a Huawei B315 LTE-A connected. Very impressed with this brand.

Easiest and fastest is to get one of these and add 1/2 alarm batteries.

https://www.alarmtec.co.za/battery-c...mp-p-1605.html

Cheap modem/routers use about 200-300mah. Giving you around 20h/ battery
    “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

I also built a loadshredder in a high lid ammo box on wheels. I took a small UPS (500w) and removed the 7Ah battery, and connected it to a 100Ah deep cycle. To assist with charging, I also added a solar charger. Added some 12V outlets to connect camping lights. Can run my laptop, modem, hifi and TV for 8 hours.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

A mini UPS is all that's required for internet power backup.
    It should work seamlessly without you needing to plug cables in and out. (and definitely no twisting stripped wires together!)
    So not only should it have the designated DC plugs for the routers/Wi-Fi's etc. but also the DC voltage should be correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi.Oost View Post
    Easiest and fastest is to get one of these and add 1/2 alarm batteries.

https://www.alarmtec.co.za/battery-c...mp-p-1605.html

Cheap modem/routers use about 200-300mah. Giving you around 20h/ battery
    Hmm now that seems like a great thing - will work nicely for my setup, and I allready have a couple of good 7AH batteries and then there will be no need for me to connect & disconnect the power all the time manually.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (new problem child)
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

These are just under R400 ex vat each from supplier, got a few and going to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Hmm now that seems like a great thing - will work nicely for my setup, and I allready have a couple of good 7AH batteries and then there will be no need for me to connect & disconnect the power all the time manually.
    Then this option for a intelligent charger that does not over charge at R175 will also do at a much cheaper price.

PM for details.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CHARGER20180510_130137.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	550747

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post

These are just under R400 ex vat each from supplier, got a few and going to try out.
    Does it include a power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Does it include a power supply?
    This is a great price and device. The 4 x Li-Ion batteries are worth nearly R400. The input is 12V so one would need to use the routers original power supply to charge.

May be the next model might be charged from a cell phone 5V charger.

Another version but with only a 2200mAh battery but has internal power supply. It would still last most load shedding periods. Priced at R480.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-ups___MAR2581.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	550783
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/12/13 at 01:18 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast