Avis Rant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avis Rant

Default Avis Rant

So had the horrid experience of needing to commute in a Datsun Go. I have previously made fun of them when they stated that a Datsun Go inspires safety and thus that that is to be considered a safety feature. I stand corrected. That is true. Going 120km/h on the highway in rainy conditions in a Datsun Go is and adrenaline rush like skydiving and I am sure could void your life insurance. But it is true. I actively tried to drive more cautious due to fear of dying by collision with a bicycle or large bird. But I digress....

Avis.

Got my horrid little car just before closing time on the 3rd of December 2019. Checked with a certain person for dents and scratches. (I have never had a problem before). Quickly check at the back and he shows me the spare and jack etc.... I particularly remember the spare to have been upside down. Looks like someone had got a flat tire in the past. It was checked if it is inflated.

Today I return the horrid little car. Exactly the same person that inspected it going out, inspects it again. I see him checking the spare. He pauses. Later he asks if I had a flat. I said no. He asks why the spare is not the same brand as the others tires. I pull up my shoulders. How the hell would I know. And here comes the blame.

I hear him tell others that I had changed the spare wheel. He asks me to sign an "incident form" as if I had been in an accident. I refuse to sign it as the form particularly mention that you accept liability and they can subtract what they want from your credit card. I ask him why he is doing this as it was him who inspected the vehicle with me in the first place. He denies it until I show him his signature...

I am fuming. Another lady said I MUST sign the incident report from. I fill in that the vehicle and spare is exactly the same as I got it from them and scratch out the parts that says I admit liability and the credit card parts.

While I am storming out another employee comes running and said he wants to see this spare. He checks and he says this is fine, Avis replaces all they tires with that brand. I ask him to go and tell that to the guys inside. He does but they pull up their shoulders. Same employee says that the guy who inspected my vehicle said very rude things to me behind my back. Don's care about that actually...

Waiting for a new Tyre to be added to my bill... What the hell would I want with a Datsun Go tyre!!!

Tried to lodge a complaint but they seem to have made that particularly difficult...
    Last edited by New; 2019/12/09 at 04:40 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Default Re: Avis Rant

Avis in SA is well known to scam renters on tyres. Google it. They tried it on my wife in Cape Town. Gave her a tyre that was leaking slowly. She only had the car a day. She noted it on the form when she returned it, as she’d needed to top it up. No comments then.

weeks later, get an invoice for a new tyre.

it was only after I insisted they provide a photo of the damage, and promised to eviscerate them on social media in SA and US that they backed down. I’m quite sure there is a deal between Avis SA guys and a tyre vendor.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/12/09 at 04:49 PM.

I kneel before your heroism and rejoice in your being able to recount this story of bravery In fact, I think I will crack an ale and offer you a toast, cheers.

Tis I that now digresses. What a bunch of twatwaffles.

Good to note the possible spare wheel scam though. Go to Hello Peter and report there as well as their FB page if they have one.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Sorry to hear, that least you didn't have to deal with those sharks at Thrifty...

I always take pictures as the person takes me around the car and again as they sign it in. I get funny looks and it takes a bit longer but I feel more comfortable that way. That and NEVER just hand the keys in on return. Go over the car with the staff and make them sign that all is as it should be in front of you.

{now Thrifty, where did you put that 13l of fuel you billed me for, the tank was filled 300m from your site!}

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I kneel before your heroism and rejoice in your being able to recount this story of bravery In fact, I think I will crack an ale and offer you a toast, cheers.
    You talking about my bravery in attempting to max out a Datsun GO on the highway? Most would say that that was utterly devoid of any form of intellect...

Cheers! Soon...
    "Grent" Vitara

Had a similar "fuel" experience with Europcar a year or two ago. Also claimed vehicle had been damaged - one had to virtually crawl underneath to see the scratches on the mudguards. No way those were visible when we inspected it at the start of the rental.

I don't think the company per se is involved - just a scam run by employees at the depots.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

If I know for a fact I am not to blame, I will not make the fight easy for them. I can really shout and scream and empty a room.
    Because we travel so much, when I do a vehicle inspection with a rental, the cellphone comes out and I take pictures of all corners, windscreen, current damage, especially plastic hubcaps and the bottom part of the front bumper. Never thought of the spare wheel, so that will be added to my list. Seems I have dodged a few bullets there...

Paying for something I did not take would feel as if I am admitting to it...I just will not accept it. Our company luckily books through an agent, which makes the fighting easier. Luckily so far I had no issues except when the one car got damaged by a dronkgat in the car-park of the hotel where I was staying. Next morning I saw the damage and went ape! When I stayed there again, they had the parking fenced off and there was a guard.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    You talking about my bravery in attempting to max out a Datsun GO on the highway? Most would say that that was utterly devoid of any form of intellect...

Cheers! Soon...
    For scientific purposes:

1. What was the terminal.... I mean maxed out speed and;
    2. What would you estmate the sound level to be and;
    3. What sound was the highest: 3.1: engine; 3.2; wind; 3.3 your screams
    4. What level was the vibration: 4.1 teeth rattling; 4.2: bowel loosening or; 4.3 both

:-)
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

I rent smallish cars regularly at OR Tambo. Just the one size bigger than the Datsun GO.

I haven't had any problems with Avis nor Hertz. I used to rent at First Car Rental for quote some time until they tried to rip me off with KM driven and petrol, after I returned the vehicle after filling up at the Engen Sky shop.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    For scientific purposes:

1. What was the terminal.... I mean maxed out speed and;
    2. What would you estmate the sound level to be and;
    3. What sound was the highest: 3.1: engine; 3.2; wind; 3.3 your screams
    4. What level was the vibration: 4.1 teeth rattling; 4.2: bowel loosening or; 4.3 both

:-)
    1. I chickened out at just under 140km/h on the odo. True speed might have been 85km/h...

2. The engine sounds like a monster, but you get overtaken by guys on scooters... The wind sound drones out the radio and you can hear every little klippie that kicks up. That sounds like bullet holes in the chassis. If I may guestimate.... I do not know much about decibels having only been able to afford the stanard "six by nine" speaker in student days, but I measured the sound by "drops of blood per km" according to the amount of hemorrhaging out of ones ears... By that measurement method, about 2.5 drops per km....

3. None of the choices. My prayers were the loudest...

4. This is a tricky one. Since you are in any case stressing like a journalist caught by an extremist group known for beheading, a loose bowl is a given even before you turn the key. Lets say you could put some used bullet brass casings in a bucket of rough sand, and by the end of your trip to your local Wooolies at the Engine garage the casings would be sparkly clean like new....

"Grent" Vitara

Anyway, I got hold of an e-mail address for the branch manager. Sent her my version of events but she seems to be on vacation already. Sent the e-mail to a few others. Not holding my breath that I will get any form of response....
    "Grent" Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    Never thought of the spare wheel, so that will be added to my list. Seems I have dodged a few bullets there...

Who in their right minds will check if the spare wheel is the same brand as the other tires?! But yes, seems one will have to take a photo of just about everything....
    "Grent" Vitara

Oh, don't get me started with Avis ORT...

I have the unfortunate privilege of having to travel to JHB for work every so often and usually rent a car. Twice now I've returned a vehicle in exactly the same condition as I've received it, it's inspected with no problems and then a few hours/ day later I get a phone call about damage to the vehicle. Both times with Avis. The second time they were being really hardegat about it

Never again will I rent from Avis.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Thankfully you good folk are paying Avis for all the Govment cars that go missing like IEC etc.
    Very noble 🤣🤣
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

AVIS's service has slipped a lot unfortunately in the last 2 years. They used the be pretty jacked up and efficient, and their staff very friendly. Somehow they have managed to change the whole culture of the company in the last 2 years.

They stuffed a booking of mine up recently and I ended up having to drive a Renault Kwid from ELS to PLZ.

Now that was a sphincter puckering experience of note !
    Those KWID's should be banned on open roads and from doing more than 100 KMH - strictly city use only !

Quote Originally Posted by ZookBug View Post
    AVIS's service has slipped a lot unfortunately in the last 2 years. They used the be pretty jacked up and efficient, and their staff very friendly. Somehow they have managed to change the whole culture of the company in the last 2 years.

They stuffed a booking of mine up recently and I ended up having to drive a Renault Kwid from ELS to PLZ.

Now that was a sphincter puckering experience of note !
    Those KWID's should be banned on open roads and from doing more than 100 KMH - strictly city use only !
    Kwid and Go! are basically the same 'thing' (I hesitate to call them 'cars')!

I refuse to take either for rental.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

My brother came to visit me from the States, rented a Fortuner from Avis and had a fantastic Kruger holiday.
    Returned the vehicle and all was well until he got back and saw he was charged an extra $500 (almost R8000!) for the car.
    When he enquired, they said the indicator lens on the left mirror was cracked and that is what a replacement costs.
    He requested proof of this as well as a reason this was not mentioned when he returned the car, the response was basically F you, you will pay.
    He then asked why they had taken R8000 when he had taken maximum insurance with a maximum excess of R5000.
    Once again the reply was F you, pay.
    So he queried the whole transaction with his bank in the states who reversed all charges (including the cost of the rental) and closed the card account.

So he emailed them and told them if that is their attitude, F you, you get nothing...

He is generally a very honest guy, but when you treated and scammed like this, being dodgy kind of feels good....

You have cellphone in your pocket so take pictures of every angle and every little nick and scratch on taking delivery. That way there is no dispute when returning the car.
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Many years ago as I used to work at Avis, I ran their Truck commercial workshop, their slogan was We Try Harder and they were the top car rental company in S.A,
    However since Barloworld took it over it must be one of the worst vehicle rental companies, we no longer use them.
    Only worked there for 2 years as my wife thought that 80 young rental ladies and 4 male managers were not good ods!
    Neil Sauls

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Who in their right minds will check if the spare wheel is the same brand as the other tires?! But yes, seems one will have to take a photo of just about everything....
    It is ridiculous at best. And just to think the time you have to invest to sort out an unnecessary mess. Boggles the mind...
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast