Avis Rant - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avis Rant

Default Re: Avis Rant

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Anyway, I got hold of an e-mail address for the branch manager. Sent her my version of events but she seems to be on vacation already. Sent the e-mail to a few others. Not holding my breath that I will get any form of response....

Well... I stand to be corrected twice in one thread.

First with doubting how effective fear of impalement by Datsun Go chassis might have on over all safety and now this.

Got an email back from the branch manager, profusely apologizing, and informing me that she took off the block on my rental contract and that they now consider the matter closed.

I will have to check how much of the money taken off my credit card gets returned....
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

If they hit your credit card, just report it as Fraud with your bank and reverse it.

Now come on and admit it you must have purposefully swapped the tire on your own
    Because no one before you could have hit a nail hard enough to get a flat and have survived that driving an Datsun go

Fact is probably that the guy who showed you the car did not catch the issue previously so now he was hoping to make it your problem
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    Now come on and admit it you must have purposefully swapped the tire on your own
    Because no one before you could have hit a nail hard enough to get a flat and have survived that driving an Datsun go

Fact is probably that the guy who showed you the car did not catch the issue previously so now he was hoping to make it your problem

Well Veneficus I must confess... I have a fetish akin to auto-eroticism... . The danger excites me... Having the Datsun GO tire is part of my "collection" of items I have kept, like a serial killer, over the years. To me there is nothing sexier than the Indian produced MRF tire when I think about the danger I was in, driving around in the GO... Oh my....{starts to make creepy moaning sounds}

Either that or apparently I wanted to make a swing out of a Datsun GO tire but then decided to replace it with a more expensive tire. (The one currently on the spare rim is a Goodyear!) Go figure...

I think you right in the latter part of your post though..
    Last edited by New; 2019/12/10 at 10:39 AM.
    "Grent" Vitara

It seems as if excellence is dying in SA. Selfishness, dishonesty, laziness and incompetence is becoming the new norm because most of the bastards get away with it. And the economy as a whole is suffering because of it. Management should step up and do some proper monitoring, but often management is just as useless. TIA...
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If they hit your credit card, just report it as Fraud with your bank and reverse it.

I can actually block and unblock my credit cards via app and I know that I can reverse certain payments. But, after the managers e-mail, lets see hat happens...
    "Grent" Vitara

Makes me think of the time when I rented a Polo from Windhoek airport for three days. I gave the car back, and next thing they wanted to nail me for travelling 7300 odd k's in three days. Yislaaik, I went to town with these okes and their manager. Especially when asking how they justify +/-2500k's per day. After weeks of fighting, they realized they made a mistake on the previous renter's contract or something. This happened in the same time when the prank was going on about e-tolls accounts. Ended up paying zero, "for all the unconvenience"
    Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab
    Suzuki Jimny -SWAMBO
    Merida 29'r for fun and pain.

Yup, avoid renting a Go if you can: https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...-trok-vasjaag/. In all fairness, this would have been fatal in any car.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Yup, avoid renting a Go if you can: https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...-trok-vasjaag/. In all fairness, this would have been fatal in any car.

wow. Would not of even survived strapped into the boot!

Must say, I had to get a rental from Avis in Croydon whilst the BMW was at the panelbeater. I found it to be an all round pleasurable experience, I saw few scratches on the car, which I took pictures of, and when I returned I stated they were there. They gave me no hassles and took no money off my card. They did not check for "same brand" spare wheel, or at least I didn't notice any such thing.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

I missed this thread as i was at home packing for a day trip on Tuesday 10th, lo and behold i arrived at Avis and the Picanto i had booked was gone and it was a choice between a Mahindra KUV or a Renault Kwid, took the Kwid thinking how bad could the frenchie be?

Its bloody freaking deathtrap on wheels! There is no brake action that could be discerned from the pedal, The clutch felt like the master was leaking as the pedal slowly bled through if it was kept in gear for long enough and started creeping. The gearbox from a Masey Feurgesan tractor is more civil as the first 3 gears whined like straight cut gears. As for that 3 cylinder engine, reminded me of a 1990 Isuzu kb250d from its wail and one would think it would at least be tuned sufficiently enough not to idle without a miss. I maxed out at 100kmh and that was scary as hell!

As for Avis, it is a norm that you expect to be scammed for something or the other, take pics all around when collecting and when returning go through the vehicle and take the clearance form to the small office and get that loaded immediately. i had an incident previously where they claimed the windscreen was cracked and that billed my credit card only to get hold of the returns manager who reviewed the CCTV footage and had it waived. However they kept swiping at my credit card during the period.
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT
    Paj DiD SWB Auto
    E92 335i 430kw at the wheels!
    VW G6 GTi DSG

The only problem I had with Avis is the "Safe Drive" option. You pay R20pd for this and attach the little tracker to the windscreen. I was told that if you drive within the speed limit, avoid harsh braking, cornering and stopping, you will get rewards as well as zero excess should there be a claim. Great that they reward you with careful driving, and they have tracklogs etc from the safe drive unit.

This was well worth the inconvenience of this Discovery tied monitoring, and we got rewards of a eg a milkshake at Mugg & Bean. The second time we hired the car using the Safe Drive option, I noticed that they deducted a lot more from my credit card than the quote I got when I booked the car, as in the region of R1500 for the weekend. On enquiring, they tell me you pay extra for zero excess! It's not included in the Safe Drive option, contrary what we were told by the chap who booked the car out to us.

That's the last time I used the safe drive option. My phone would also not sync with the unit all the time, and they said that the reward benefits only apply if you keep your phone synced with it. So no thanks, it's not worth the effort - you pay extra so that they can penalise you.

The Kwid and Datsun Go share a lot of parts (including the chassis) and in some comparisons the GO was actually rated better than the Kwid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish2604 View Post
    I missed this thread as i was at home packing for a day trip on Tuesday 10th, lo and behold i arrived at Avis and the Picanto i had booked was gone and it was a choice between a Mahindra KUV or a Renault Kwid, took the Kwid thinking how bad could the frenchie be?

Its bloody freaking deathtrap on wheels! There is no brake action that could be discerned from the pedal, The clutch felt like the master was leaking as the pedal slowly bled through if it was kept in gear for long enough and started creeping. The gearbox from a Masey Feurgesan tractor is more civil as the first 3 gears whined like straight cut gears. As for that 3 cylinder engine, reminded me of a 1990 Isuzu kb250d from its wail and one would think it would at least be tuned sufficiently enough not to idle without a miss. I maxed out at 100kmh and that was scary as hell!

As for Avis, it is a norm that you expect to be scammed for something or the other, take pics all around when collecting and when returning go through the vehicle and take the clearance form to the small office and get that loaded immediately. i had an incident previously where they claimed the windscreen was cracked and that billed my credit card only to get hold of the returns manager who reviewed the CCTV footage and had it waived. However they kept swiping at my credit card during the period.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

This reminds me of the fiat Uno that was dumped in SA because it wasn't allowed on European roads. Are the Go and Kwid allowed on European roads?
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

The GO is manufactured in India and Indonesia and only sold in Indonesia, India, Russia and South Africa. In its defence it was designed for use in developing countries only.

The Kwid is manufactured in Brazil and is also sold in SA, Indonesia, India and China. No European countries as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    This reminds me of the fiat Uno that was dumped in SA because it wasn't allowed on European roads. Are the Go and Kwid allowed on European roads?
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Kish2604 View Post
    I doubt that the Picanto was gone. Avis loves to oversell their vehicles. A while a go I booked a VW bus "or similar" and expecting to receive a VW, an H1 was given. Now I am not saying the H1 is a bad vehicle, but it is far from a VW. Upon questioning, I was told that the VW was replaced with the H1.

About a month ago, on a private trip to Jhb, I booked a Picanto and received a Kwid. Again the answer was that the Picanto was replaced with Kwid or Go and the "Website was not yet updated". Pretty lame for a big company like Avis, if that excuse is true, otherwise it is simple dishonesty in my book.

One useful ally in the Avis fight may be Moneyweb who did a rant a few months ago. One of the few ways to get attention. I have hired a fair bit and never been scammed but I guess I just get closer to that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    The GO is manufactured in India and Indonesia and only sold in Indonesia, India, Russia and South Africa. In its defence it was designed for use in developing countries only.

The Kwid is manufactured in Brazil and is also sold in SA, Indonesia, India and China. No European countries as far as I know.
    Thank you. So the BRICS arrangement has actually decreased road safety on SA's roads with vehicles completely unsuited for the roads. Follow the money.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

I recently rented a Mercedes Vito in Germany.
    Taking a corner too short, I basically cut off the mirror on a lamp pole.

The mirror could still be used, but all the plastic around fell off.

Needed to drop the keys in the safe.
    Surprisingly they even didn't pick it up and nothing was deducted.....

PS it was Europe Car ...
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2019/12/12 at 09:06 PM.

Rented a GO in EL and I started marking every scratch and dent on the vehicle off, guy obviously had better things to do so he wrote on the check sheet "multiple dents and damage all over"

Italy Europecar, 1st time LHD on RHS of road, I told her I don't want any excess as I'm GOING to bash it, she said they don't take rim or scratch damage into account, only major damage through paint. When I returned it he wanted me to wait to check for damage was basically new (car had 200km on it when I got it) I scratched boot and offside rim, he moaned, I pointed to zero excess, smiled and waved goodbye.

Renting thru Avis December in Orlando, will make sure of any damages, but I believe the cars all have keys in ignition and you just choose the one in your class and drive out? Maybe I upgrade to zero excess?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast