Nitecore repairs (out of warranty item)

Default Nitecore repairs (out of warranty item)

Good afternoon all,

Has anyone here had any repairs to their older Nitecore torches? Seems my LED on my EA-8 has given up the ghost after being used a sum total of 10 - 15 times in the 5 and a half years I have owned it.

Everything else is working well, as it was checked by the Nitecore agents this morning. The LED is just glowing however, and not shining brightly. Celesti is unable to help other than by selling me a new torch as its warranty expired in August. They also dont have any spare parts here in SA, so Im quite desperate here to find the parts required...

If anyone has had repairs done successfully to out of warranty Nitecores, please share the details here?

Default Re: Nitecore repairs (out of warranty item)

I'd also like to know. I also have a Nitecore torch out of warrantee that stopped working.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

@Celesti is the one to ask: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum.../44032-Celesti

She does Nitecore, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    @Celesti is the one to ask: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum.../44032-Celesti

As per my original post, Celesti cannot assist once the torch is 5 years old or older...

Yes yes, been there, they cannot help.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

I missed that, sorry, don't know why. That's a bummer, to be honest. Can't you import parts yourself?

Hopefully Celesti sees this thread and gives some feedback.

I've always considered Nitecore to be a somewhat premium brand. (A bit like Leatherman etc)

Hopefully it's not just premium marketing............
    Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Yes at the price you pay it should have a lifetime warranty , my cheap LED torches have lasted over 5 years and used at least 2 times a week!
    If you only used it 10 to 15 times in 5 Years their is no need for a premium torch , just get a magneto from Builders etc it cost around R200 , I have had mine for around 4 years and cant remember how many times it was used, probably 200-300 times
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2019/12/09 at 03:36 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Yes at the price you pay it should have a lifetime warranty , my cheap LED torches have lasted over 5 years and used at least 2 times a week!
    If you only used it 10 to 15 times in 5 Years their is no need for a premium torch , just get a magneto from Builders etc it cost around R200 , I have had mine for around 4 years and cant remember how many times it was used, probably 200-300 times
    Well, the proof's in the pudding isn't it... prior to this torch, I had bought some cheap Chinese torches from someone else in Pretoria, and at the time thought that I'd replace them with nice Nitecore's at some stage. They're still working 100%, Ive only replaced their batteries (after about 6 years use).

When the time came, and this EA8 was advertised here on the forum, I decided to take the leap and 'buy the premium brand'. What I liked was the 1000 lumens with a long reach (490m) beam. So this was never going to be my campsite torch, rather my torch to keep at the ready in case something was heard in the bush around the campsite, or on the other side of the river etc. This is why it was so rarely used.

I've spent some time searching the web for a replacement LED, seems like I'm in for an 'Amazon click and pray' purchase, or even Bangood or the likes from China... I have the name and model of the LED, just trying to decide if its worth it or if I should just bin the thing and spend a few hundred rand on a cheapy that has a long beam...

Cool Re: Nitecore repairs (out of warranty item)

Quote Originally Posted by PajeroMan3500 View Post
    Well, the proof's in the pudding isn't it... prior to this torch, I had bought some cheap Chinese torches from someone else in Pretoria, and at the time thought that I'd replace them with nice Nitecore's at some stage. They're still working 100%, Ive only replaced their batteries (after about 6 years use).

When the time came, and this EA8 was advertised here on the forum, I decided to take the leap and 'buy the premium brand'. What I liked was the 1000 lumens with a long reach (490m) beam. So this was never going to be my campsite torch, rather my torch to keep at the ready in case something was heard in the bush around the campsite, or on the other side of the river etc. This is why it was so rarely used.

I've spent some time searching the web for a replacement LED, seems like I'm in for an 'Amazon click and pray' purchase, or even Bangood or the likes from China... I have the name and model of the LED, just trying to decide if its worth it or if I should just bin the thing and spend a few hundred rand on a cheapy that has a long beam...
    If you decide to bin it, I’d take it off your hands to give the Chinese LED replacement a go... ��
    Last edited by SAND; 2019/12/09 at 04:11 PM.

That makes sense not many cheap LED torches will do that , many say 800 etc Lumen but can not do more that 150m, if you only use it for that purpose than perhaps portability is not an issue , lots of plug into car lamps available that will do the job , (i Assume your vehicle is near your camp site)
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    If you decide to bin it, Id take it off your hands to give the Chinese LED replacement a go... ��
    That will work a good light is mainly due to the design and quality of the reflective surfaces and not the bulb(LED in this case)
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Ask on the BLF forum, they'll direct you to the correct parts and also some tips on troubleshooting. Very helpful guys:
    http://budgetlightforum.com/

You probably have a dry joint somewhere, it is very poor form of Nitecore not to offer any kind of out of warranty service, even just to reduce and reuse, less on the landfill because your torch must still look next to new so all the important bits like the body, seals, switches, reflectors will still be fine, just needs a little TLC so why should Nitecore's only option be to bin the device.

Thanks for all the replies guys... much appreciated, some research to be done tomorrow. Ill update here with my decisions going forward!

They also dont have any spare parts here in SA
    This part worries me. Is this only for the older units?
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

Nitecore.co.za, or Celesti here, isn't a warranty and repair centre for Nitecore, I found out. They're just a local reseller. They sell and handle in-warranty issues, but out of warranty they can't help, because they don't even do the spare parts required. Hopefully this works out, Nitecore is a pretty nice brand!

Nitecore.co.za, or Celesti here, isn't a warranty and repair centre for Nitecore, I found out. They're just a local reseller. They sell and handle in-warranty issues, but out of warranty they can't help, because they don't even do the spare parts required. Hopefully this works out, Nitecore is a pretty nice brand!
    Agreed. Their in warranty service as well as after sales service is top notch and so are the torches. I would be devastated if any of my Nitecores would just stop working, but then again, after 5 years of use there is sure to be an even better model out to satisfy the need for light in your life...
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

It is what i feared since i bought a few torches from them.

Spoke to them at last show and the dude mentioned very few back up problems. I questioned the reliability of the gen 3 ring thing on the MH torch as i do not wish to take special back up torches into the bush. Reply was v few but i had impression that they do not have repair service like for Ledlenser and Fenix.

Warranty too short and not well backed up IMO. Realise that 5 yrs is a relative lifetime in tech but still.....

Was ordering a new one yesterday and decided to kick idea into touch for now.

Have a Surefire dud due to battery tech and one Wolfeye dud due also to battery or switch. We have had cheapo Chinese in past but all were binned at some stage. Try nowadays not to bin stuff as it goes in landfills.

In the grand scheme of things Led flashlights are pretty low tech devices, the led tech and driver designs does keep on being refined but the basics remain the same year in year out.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/12/10 at 03:51 PM.

Love my 2 Nitecote Torches ..both over 5 yrs old