All vehicle modifications illegal? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: All vehicle modifications illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoP View Post
    Seems like as long as it passes roadworthy you good to go

The simplest test would be to take a modified vehicle for a roadworthy test. If anything fails, which might include even something as seemingly innocent as for instance spot-light positions, the car should probably not even be on the road.
    https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guid...in-sa-20170908

But, before you take your car in for an extreme makeover, you have to ask yourself it will still be roadworthy and if it might endanger other driversĒ. Remember, if your vehicle ends up not being roadworthy, you will have to make the necessary changes and restore it so that it can legally be on the roads again and take it through a roadworthy test again
    https://www.lawforall.co.za/2019/07/...-south-africa/
    That law for all web page was a good read, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Yes, it is, because if it was in law that all modifications were illegal, and things weren't worded correctly, then what stops them from fining or bribing you for #### at a roadblock?

Besides, they can't even keep un-roadworthy cars in check, why target people who actually spend money on their cars? 99.9% percent of the cases the modifications people pay to have done will be decent, and not affect your car, like in the articles instance, I highly doubt his lowered suspension is a threat on the road. Sure, he might have to go slower over speed bumps, but that's the same as a sports car going over those same speed bumps.

Instead of doing their job and keeping our roads safe, they target people who they think can afford fines. Just recently I was in a roadblock where they literally only pulled over BMW's and checked for fines, whilst obvious un-roadworthy cars were let through without a second glance.
    Eish! WHY then does my 21 year old Suuz get stopped / pulled over almost every time ?
    If they look at te Suuz, the clothes I wear, etc. Even half intelligent people could see that I cannot "afford fines".
    If they decided that the driver of the vehicle was un-roadworthy ... well that may be different.
    But then I have not had any modifications done to myself (yet).

I think it is just another poorly worded draft.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Overloading is also a modification, and the more serous one. Which seem most of the time is not an issue unless there is a weigh bridge.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

welll... take a cop car.... wiring in all the sirens and lighs, adding a light bar on the roof with blue and red flashing lights... sounds like modifications for me ?
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

I own two modified jeeps , purchased modified and they had a roadworthy done when I bought them , financed as well and insured for all mods, passed many a roadblock , never a word about it , just its big . But I am sure one of these fine days someone will pull out his tape measure and a fine will come with it .
    Just another way to turn up the screws to get more cash out of every motorist .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

If this is indeed the correct interpretation of the law as it stands - what an amazing escape clause for the insurers !!!

If so, why not yet utilized in refuting claims ?
    If legal, then they would be within their rights.

What an amazing profit boost it could be!

"Oh! You re-covered the seats or fitted a replacement roof lining and did not use the original manufacturer's spec.??"

I think that in practice this is not actually enforceable nor in the spirit of the legislation.

OK, Here it comes - "EISH". (STILL looking for that emoji.)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Perhaps, or the author of the article have just quoted very selective extracts from a much longer statement.

My take from the article:
    - Driving Ďdroppedí cars is a crime, as per the title
    - When considering modifying/enhancing a vehicle, changes may be illegal
    - Social media opinion doesnít make something legal
    Yep, that's what I took from the article as well.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

All things in life are relative. I see both sides of the argument here, but as long as taxis are permitted to drive the way they drive, and in the state of disrepair that some of them are in, I think itís quite inappropriate to focus attention on a well maintained vehicle with a few modifications.

when your house is on fire, put out the fire, donít check whether the fire extinguisher is out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    All things in life are relative. I see both sides of the argument here, but as long as taxis are permitted to drive the way they drive, and in the state of disrepair that some of them are in, I think itís quite inappropriate to focus attention on a well maintained vehicle with a few modifications.

when your house is on fire, put out the fire, donít go burn down the neighbors house because yours is burning.

Fixed that for you
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Fixed that for you

that is indeed an improvement! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post

when your house is on fire, put out the fire, donít check whether the fire extinguisher is out of date.

I hear you, and some days I probably agree with this sentiment, but at the end of the day, two wrongs don't make a right. Be the change you want to see.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

So I should pull the taxis over?

law enforcement and the courts should do their jobs. Starting with the murdering, the raping, the assaults, burglary, etc.. if they have time at the end of that, they can start on the taxis. And then, and only then, should they harass the generally law abiding. And once we have reached that point I’ll welcome it, because SA will be a much better place.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/12/09 at 04:04 PM.

In line with all the bs on this thread... the Law according to Arrive Alive et al... I thought I would add my own esoteric theories...

Our conversations with other petrolhead brothers and sisters have led to an evolving of hyper-advanced consciousness. Who are we? Where on the great circuit will we be awakened? We are in the midst of a perennial invocation of consciousness that will give us access to the multiverse itself.

Have you found your path? Traveller, look within and develop yourself. The totality is calling to you via atomic ionization. Can you hear it?

The automobile has nothing to lose.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I just came back from a country where they really don't care. Newest mod for the cool brigade is to have strobing LED lights mounted in the head and/or tail lights. So you're parked at the traffic lights and the car in front of you is trying to give you an epileptic attack. Super-irritating. Look at the nice JK for an example of what can be done if anything goes.

So I'm all for SOME sensibility.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoP View Post
    Seems like as long as it passes roadworthy you good to go
    Our car passed road worthy with a light bar....... even road worthy is subject to what someones knowledge is.

This is Africa, most cops don't even know the laws. Vehicle modifications are not illegal, if they were the cops wouldn't be allowed to modify their Bakkies and nor would the conservation guys. You also would never be able to insure the vehicles.

That guy in Durban had coil overs. That's far safer than most guys fitting lowering springs as their shocks remain in a constant state of compression, unless they shorten them, or worse they cut the springs. I think they need to be more specific with regards to the exact reason for saying his car was illegal. Being low cannot be a reason, as done correctly it's fine.

Same goes for changing mags, exhausts, aftermarket service and repair parts..... That comment is a joke, she doesn't know so made it up to sound intelligent.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Well, per definition of design specs, that would make al OEM aftermarket produck legal, since it was made and designed by the manufacturer. That would lead to only manufactures could modify vehicles aftermarket?

Wouldn't surprise me if issues like these arent driven by car manufacturers themselves?

Huge market that could be monopilitized?

In Germany it has been like that for decades. You need to either have a modification included into your vehicle documents. In that case you wouldn't be allowed to remove it, unless you have the documentation changed. This requires a roadworthy test at one of the test centres.

Otherwise, a lot of manufacturers for aftermarket accessories get a certificate for their product which states that it is legal to be used on a certain list of vehicles. E.g. Old Man Emu suspensions would come with this certificate and you would have to carry that certificate in the vehicle and show it in case you are stopped.

This obviously includes only safety relevant modifications or additions. The furry dice hanging down from your mirror or a dash cam won't fall under this, but after market rims would. Going outside the range of manufacturer specified tyre or rim sizes would require those to be included into your vehicle's documents.

A lot of members posting here also seem to have forgotten about the separation of the 3 state powers: legislative, executive and judicative
    The guys making the laws don't enforce them.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Ja, sy is reg, en

Ja, die WesKaap het reeds sowat twee jaar gelede afgekondig dat daar opgetree gaan word teen gemodifiseerde voertuie.
    Daar het dit egter meerendeels gegaan teen die warmgemaakte streetrods.

Maar ja, sy is reg. Ongelukkig weet ons nie tot watter mate nie.

Laat ons aanhou wat ons doen tot ons aan bande gelÍ word.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

The article posted by the op referred to "dropped" vehicles only, no mention of any other type of modification whatsoever.
    Now you only have to look at a "dropped" vehicle to see that it is unsafe.
    The wording of the statement by the spokesperson is unfortunate because it is vague and results in people imagining implications, some if which came out in this thread.
    The basis of law is common sense.
    Your aftermarket suspension, bullbar, aux lights, aux battery, replacement tyres, or even as someone suggested, bumper sticker will not get your vehicle impounded.
    With law being based on common sense, if your vehicle is modified in a stupid way which endangers other people, then you will run into trouble.
    Let's not haal die bobejaan agter die buld uit!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    welll... take a cop car.... wiring in all the sirens and lighs, adding a light bar on the roof with blue and red flashing lights... sounds like modifications for me ?
    and the internal modifications to accommodate police dogs
    トヨタ ランドクルーザー
    If it doesn't say "TOYOTA" on the grill then it probably isn't one.
    If you don't own a Cruiser you won't understand....
    2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4X4 AT
    ORRA call sign X224
    4x4 Action Group GP328-KZ

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast