Police clearance - tip

Default Police clearance - tip

Police clearances are issued in Pretoria in one "special" location. Takes time if you do not go there twice or use external party (cost money). Papers can get also lost if you go via your local cop shop. Reason for the delay is that police doesn't have manpower for the deliveries - info given by a person in the department issuing the clearances.

Family member in George was tipped by the office that in the same building there is a PostNet. You can send to that PostNet and they take the papers in to the police and also collect them and send them to the person requiring them. Papers were in George the next day.

I do not have the telephone numbers or the PostNet name. Find out, call and confirm and also find out how that return delivery is paid. Must be cheaper than using external party.

P.S. Cops have PLENTY manpower but they are generals. Generals don't work...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Default Re: Police clearance - tip

I have always couriered my application up and the certificate back, on advice from the ex-WO of Sea Point SAP back in the day. He also gave me the phone number for the office, but apparently they don't answer any more.

A currently serving officer told me recently that even SAPS members now take a ticket and join the queue for reports from them.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Do they still allow the PostNet route? I thought they stopped allowing that?
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

I used to take mine into PTA myself. This was apparently stopped. It now takes 4-6 weeks if you go to your local police office.

Apparently the visa places have a way to do it where it only takes 3-4 days at a cost of R3500!

Clearly there is something corrupt in the "short" process.
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2019/12/09 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macjohnw View Post
    Just call that PostNet office. Why would use of PostNet not allowed?

SWAMBO has to have the clearance every year. We used to go to Pretoria. The area is not one of the best. High crime. Last time cops were just standing when one bloke was harassing people with heavy steel pipe. At the end I took the pipe away and step son sold it as part of a scrap steel
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by macjohnw View Post
    some time in the beginning of the year SAPS stopped all courier of police clearances and it had to be posted by the SAPS internally, this has now stopped and now you can go back to coriour again,
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    some time in the beginning of the year SAPS stopped all courier of police clearances and it had to be posted by the SAPS internally, this has now stopped and now you can go back to coriour again,
    Ah, thought it sounded right, thanks.
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

PostNet in Pretoria does this police clearance thing - R800.00 plust the cost of sending to that PostNet

Does anybody know if they still accept walk in customers?
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Just call that PostNet office. Why would use of PostNet not allowed?

SWAMBO has to have the clearance every year. We used to go to Pretoria. The area is not one of the best. High crime. Last time cops were just standing when one bloke was harassing people with heavy steel pipe. At the end I took the pipe away and step son sold it as part of a scrap steel
    Had problems outside of Pta before, so started couriering it in, but now we use local police station who take it in and collect, always been reliable and pretty quick. (famous last words, waiting for a certificate now)

This is the nice thing about living in a tiny Karoo town that had to look for the forms when i came to do my first one at the local station over a decade ago. They do about two a year now. Fill in forms, present ID, fingerprints, get receipt, pay and forget. Police do all the rest and it arrives within 6 - 8 weeks and is delivered to my door by the patrol van.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

SWAMBO went to Pretoria on her own yesterday. There is a parking garage across the street. No issues, one person in front of her. Quick. Lady said that many come there to speed up. Going with Smart and combining with something else far less than R800 plus other costs.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    SWAMBO went to Pretoria on her own yesterday. There is a parking garage across the street. No issues, one person in front of her. Quick. Lady said that many come there to speed up. Going with Smart and combining with something else far less than R800 plus other costs.
    R800? The notice at the entrance at my police station says R144.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    R800? The notice at the entrance at my police station says R144.
    R800 is the cost PostNet in the same building charges to receive the application, take it to the cops, pay, collect and send back via PostNet.

If you want the papers quickly you either take them to Pretoria, courier or use Postnet. SWAMBO went as we are near. Using PostNet is viable to those in outside areas. I suspect two courier may cost more. PostNet has proper human touch.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart