Data prices - big fight coming

Default Data prices - big fight coming

Our data prices are high what ever duopoly MTN and Vodacom say. Government is finally trying to do something - good 10 years too late. Will be a big fight. Something to read:
    https://www.fin24.com/Opinion/sunday...reach-20191207
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Default Re: Data prices - big fight coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Our data prices are high what ever duopoly MTN and Vodacom say. Government is finally trying to do something - good 10 years too late. Will be a big fight. Something to read:
    https://www.fin24.com/Opinion/sunday...reach-20191207
    Only applicable to prepaid.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Only applicable to prepaid.
    It doesn't matter. Originally prepaid call costs were sky high. Over R2/min. Minimum charge was one min and all unused time was lost at the end of the month. It was real gold mine for MTN and Vodacom. Totally changed. Next gold mine was SMS. How many jokes etc. were generated which were then sent all around. That was killed by more economical data based Whatsapp and similar. Data is now the gold mine. Time to get that down. When the prepaid comes down any contracts have to come also.

BTW you do get free 250 Mb per month at least from Afrihost. We have 4 of those free cards. Handy.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    It doesn't matter. Originally prepaid call costs were sky high. Over R2/min. Minimum charge was one min and all unused time was lost at the end of the month. It was real gold mine for MTN and Vodacom. Totally changed. Next gold mine was SMS. How many jokes etc. were generated which were then sent all around. That was killed by more economical data based Whatsapp and similar. Data is now the gold mine. Time to get that down. When the prepaid comes down any contracts have to come also.

BTW you do get free 250 Mb per month at least from Afrihost. We have 4 of those free cards. Handy.
    Nothing really change contract wise when they announced that data expiry needs to change.

In essence, the call for data prices to be be slashed is only for the sub 500mb.

The rest will stay exactly the same, so no change expected. Life will carry on and MTN and Vodascum will continue to manipulate the market.
    Sent from my iPhone

Default Data prices - big fight coming

Now they want free data, on top of free electricity, housing, education etc etc. Right....this means no one has to work for a living anymore. What is this world coming to?

Mind you, Afrihost is currently giving away 1GB per month on mobile, so I have 2 extra sims which I use to generate a hot spot from an older iPhone. Then you have MTN's Ska Wara sale and 'double your data'. I was getting 300MB for just 5 Rondts, valid 24 hrs, and I could stack a few of those bundles on top of each other for short term heavy use. So I switch between the MTN and Afrihost APN on my phone depending on who is offering the better deal, as MTN's offers are dynamic, so the offers change the more you use. Also, the MTN app itself is zero rated, so even if you run out of data you can still use the app to buy more with existing airtime or your credit card.

So like all statistics, I take these so called high data prices with a large mountain of salt, never mind a pinch. If you think about it, how can you get accurate statistics when prices are dynamic on a per user basis? In other words, I don't know what South Africans are complaining about in this case.

But you know what, let them keep the mobile data prices as sky high as they say they are as we all spend way too much time online as it is.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/12/08 at 11:22 AM.
    1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Now they want free data, on top of free electricity, housing, education etc etc. Right....this means no one has to work for a living anymore. What is this world coming to.

You know what, let them keep the mobile data prices high, we all spend way too much time online as it is.

And BTW, Afrihost is giving away 1GB per month, so I have 2 extra sims which I hot spot from an older iphone.
    Thank you.Government is fighting for free data.It will end up like electricity.Some pay lots and others pay nothing or very little.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek