Any Hilux V6 Auto owners? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Any Hilux V6 Auto owners?

Het al self baie prado v6 gery. Hy hou van opgewen te word.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

I prefer a Diesel, obviously in hardworking situations the petrol is better but in 99 percent of daily use situations the 2.8 diesel is adequate.

Question by Op is for someone that want to keep the vehicle for 25 years and drive 250 000km. I think the Toyota diesel will be cheaper to run.

My vote is diesel.
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    I prefer a Diesel, obviously in hardworking situations the petrol is better but in 99 percent of daily use situations the 2.8 diesel is adequate.

Question by Op is for someone that want to keep the vehicle for 25 years and drive 250 000km. I think the Toyota diesel will be cheaper to run.

My vote is diesel.
    Ek het nou deur swazi se posts gegaan, maar nerens die 25 jaar teen 10 000km per jaar gesien. Ek dit maar net seker gemis, is vroeg oggend...
    Maar, 10000km n jaar is baie min. So ek neem daar is kort afstande ook in. Diesels haat kort afstande.
    Rule of thumb by my ibt loopkoste/brandstof koste, en koopprys. As n voertuig minder as 15000km per jaar doen, petrol. Meer as 15000km per jaar, diesel. Die effek van laer brandstofverbruik kom net in as jy meer as 15000km per jaar doen, anders maak dit ekenomies nie sin nie.

As jy egter diesel of petrol verkies weens persoonlikke of ander redes, is dit natuurlik n ander saak.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek het nou deur swazi se posts gegaan, maar nerens die 25 jaar teen 10 000km per jaar gesien. Ek dit maar net seker gemis, is vroeg oggend...
    Maar, 10000km n jaar is baie min. So ek neem daar is kort afstande ook in. Diesels haat kort afstande.
    Rule of thumb by my ibt loopkoste/brandstof koste, en koopprys. As n voertuig minder as 15000km per jaar doen, petrol. Meer as 15000km per jaar, diesel. Die effek van laer brandstofverbruik kom net in as jy meer as 15000km per jaar doen, anders maak dit ekenomies nie sin nie.

As jy egter diesel of petrol verkies weens persoonlikke of ander redes, is dit natuurlik n ander saak.
    Ek stem, ek dink vir sy gebruik sal die petrol beter werk. Hy ry nie baie vinnig nie so die V6 se verbruik is darem redelik as jy mooi ry. Ook, as hy 2-de hands gaan koop, gaan hy 'n heelwat beter en nuwer V6 kan kry vir sy rande. En dienskostes buite die diensplan gaan ook heel moontlik aansienlik laer wees.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post

Ja Reenen jy is reg ek het Swazi en jk se posts deurmekaar gekry.

So ek weet nie waarvoor Swazi die bakkie wil gebruik nie.
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Interesting discussion.

I am seriously considering buying a V6. My trusty Colt Rodeo 2.8 TD now has 314KKm on the clock. Bought it new in 2001. I believe I have one more opportunity to buy again. (I am 61 this year). This buy has to last me till I am 85 if I am spared to live that long and still being active.

I dont travel more than 10KKm per year with the Colt so the Toyota will do the same providing my Corolla lasts which is my daily drive.

Here is my thoughts and questions.

If I drive slow and not really go over the speed limit will the additional fuel really cost more than the extra service on the diesel. On the Colt I changed oil and filter every 5 000km since it was out of warrantee. I believe the petrol engine can be done every 10 000km.

My Colt uses 11liter per 100 km town and open road combined and 14 liter per 100km towing the caravan. Will the V6 be really that much heavier. Doing no more than 120 for normal driving and no more than 100 when towing and even allowing speed to bleed off slightly on serious uphills.

I hear the argument about the diesel torque (and I have to qualify my statement that I have not towed with Toyota diesel ever) but my experience with a diesel is that once you are over 2500 RPM only the revs will climb but not really the speed. Is it different with the 2.8GD6 Toyota?

Lastly I wont have money to buy a new so what are the chances of buying more peace of mind. The V6 or the 2.8?

I really got good service from my diesels. Colt currently on 314KKm and before that Isuzu KB 280 sold on 296KKm which was a single cab and not ideal for a family that is why I sold it so I am not complaining about the diesel.

Thanks

Johan
    On both vehicles, the 2.8GD6 and the 4.0 V6 petrol the service intervals are 10,000 km.
    As to the consumption, the V6 would probably give you around 14 l / 100 km average and the 2.8 a lot better. Towing, the V6 becomes thirsty, you would be looking at close to 20 l / 100 km, depending on what you will be towing.
    The 4.0 V6 has got a very good reliability record, but I doubt that either the 2.4 or the 2.8 GD6 engines really would be anything to worry about.
    See here for fuel consumption when towing: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...mance-and-fuel
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2020/02/20 at 09:47 AM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    The V6 in the Hilux has always been a 5 speed and now in the GD6 a 6 speed.

After a V6 Fortuner and a V6 Prado, I bought a 2.8 auto GD6 in January.

Next time I will probably buy a V6 again!
    oh wow, shows you what I know. My mate had the older generation, and whenever I was a passenger, it sounded as if it was always hunting when driving on the highway, so I assumed it had 4. Probably his driving style.

Interesting discussion.

I am seriously considering buying a V6. My trusty Colt Rodeo 2.8 TD now has 314KKm on the clock. Bought it new in 2001. I believe I have one more opportunity to buy again. (I am 61 this year). This buy has to last me till I am 85 if I am spared to live that long and still being active.

I dont travel more than 10KKm per year with the Colt so the Toyota will do the same providing my Corolla lasts which is my daily drive.

Here is my thoughts and questions.

If I drive slow and not really go over the speed limit will the additional fuel really cost more than the extra service on the diesel. On the Colt I changed oil and filter every 5 000km since it was out of warrantee. I believe the petrol engine can be done every 10 000km.

My Colt uses 11liter per 100 km town and open road combined and 14 liter per 100km towing the caravan. Will the V6 be really that much heavier. Doing no more than 120 for normal driving and no more than 100 when towing and even allowing speed to bleed off slightly on serious uphills.

I hear the argument about the diesel torque (and I have to qualify my statement that I have not towed with Toyota diesel ever) but my experience with a diesel is that once you are over 2500 RPM only the revs will climb but not really the speed. Is it different with the 2.8GD6 Toyota?

Lastly I wont have money to buy a new so what are the chances of buying more peace of mind. The V6 or the 2.8?

I really got good service from my diesels. Colt currently on 314KKm and before that Isuzu KB 280 sold on 296KKm which was a single cab and not ideal for a family that is why I sold it so I am not complaining about the diesel.

Thanks

Johan
    Only comment I can add, are you considering buying the older generation V6's? Those you can pick up for a steal, a good one to add. The price of that and money you'll save compared to a newer 2.8, covers all fuel and maintenance costs on the V6

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    The V6 in the Hilux has always been a 5 speed and now in the GD6 a 6 speed.

After a V6 Fortuner and a V6 Prado, I bought a 2.8 auto GD6 in January.

Next time I will probably buy a V6 again!
    Interesting discussion!
    Is there anyone who can compare real life consumption between the old 5spd auto V6 Fortuner/Hilux and the new 6spd auto V6 Fortuner/Hilux. (I am leaving the Prado V6 out of this discussion because the engine is slightly different.)

Guillaume
    Guillaume
    Fortuner Epic 4.0 V6 AT

Thanks for all the feedback.

It seems as if I will be driving it with my right big toe and not the whole foot for most of the time.LOL Most of the time. I do remember my 1990 Hilux Doublecab with a Ford V6 in.....

My intention is to look for a 1 year or 2 year old with no more than 50 to 70 KKm on the clock.

It is surprising but it seems you can pick up the 2.8 diesels cheaper than the V6 for the same age and milage.

I know the new generation Turbo Diesels are good but my own opinion (no scientific evidence but just observing how many people drive) the odds are that you might pick up a turbo diesel which has been hammered and for the time I intend driving it I believe the V6 is more bullet proof.

Thanks

Johan

In 2012 I bought a V6 Fortuner with about 55000km on the clock. I came from a 2.8i Defender so I was used to the fuel consumption. At first the Fortuner was slighty lighter on fuel but then I added roofrack, long range tank, sparewheel carrier so it was more or less the same as the Defender. I sold it on 173000km in 2016. My reasoning for buying petrol at the time was that I would have paid R50000-R80000 more for a similar diesel. For that I could drive a lot before I broke even. To be quite honest, once you are used to that V6 sound (specially on sand/dunes), a high revving diesel just does not sound the same... except a V8 diesel...

So I sold the Tuna for a 3.2 Ford Ranger. At the time diesel sounded like the right option. Also, I found that tides have turned and that the V6s are not really cheaper second hand than diesels... Why I don't know. I opted for Ford after the 2 most ridiculous offers for my Tuna, one being from Toyota and the other from one of the biggest 2nd hand car dealers... Also, I wanted to stay with an auto and I didn't like the 4 speed boxes on the D4d Hilux...

Due to various reasons, I sold the Ford about a year ago. Took a huge knock on it but that's another story. I liked the Ford. Not very economical but it was nice. Sold it on 99000km.

So I replaced it again with a V6... This time I noticed again that the petrol bakkies are not necessarily cheaper so I looked for the latest model petrol of diesel with low mileage. Diesels in my budget range with low mileage were scars. Found a 2017 V6 in Stellenbosch with 33000km on the clock, alu canopy, aftermarket front bumper and suspension, Cooper St Maxx etc. slap bang in my budget. Did financing and all only to be notified the day after the bakkie has been sold to a cash buyer...

I eventually found another one. 2018 Durban South Toyota demo with 18000km on the clock... again slap bang on my budget. This bakkie I bought for R113000 below it's trade value which in my opinion made it a good buy. a Similar diesel would have cost about R100000 more so again that justified the V6. Without any extras I could reach up to 8.5km/l which actually made it lighter on fuel than my Ford. Then some extras happened... Alu canopy, roof rack, awning, full drawer system etc. The biggest difference in fuel consumption came when I fitted Cooper St Maxx...

I drive mostly with the power button engaged. I find it to hunt slightly less. Yes, I do weep sometimes when I re-fuel but I don't think I'll swop for a diesel easily. I bought the petrol to keep it long term. The consumption is very similar to what the Tuna was. It is a pity that Toyota did not upgrade the V6 with the Revo, I would have loved a dual VVTI on the bonnet.

I would not say the 2.8 or the V6 is better than the other. I think each has it's strengths. It mainly comes down to your own preference. The V6 is indeed a quite and smooth ride though.

M2c
    Toyota Hilux V6, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System,
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

I have had the V6 auto for a few years now and am very happy with it.

I use the vehicle for towing a Companion and it has more than enough power.

I see some people complaining about the gear-hunting when towing, which you can overcome by driving in 4th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    oh wow, shows you what I know. My mate had the older generation, and whenever I was a passenger, it sounded as if it was always hunting when driving on the highway, so I assumed it had 4. Probably his driving style.
    Nope, it was due to the crappiest cruise control in the history of man.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

Interesting discussion.

Thanks

Johan
    Hi Johan,

I can add for comparison sake that I have a Pajero which had the old 2.8TDi motor, now running with a 4.0L lexus - which is not 100% the same as the V6, but close enough for comparison's sake on consumption. Long road trip travelling at 110-115 (CPT-PTA-CPT), small trailer and 3 kids, returned 8.6km/l with the TDi. Speed was compromised due to high EGT's, just saying... With lexus, same trip and trailer, including Lesotho and 4 kids, 7 years later, the lexus returned 7.0km/l. Never felt inclines and overtaking puts a smile on your face every time. The V6 torque should be similar to the 2.8TDi you are currently used to, but double KW will be a revelation. With our big ORT, changing gears in the mountains is a fact, and last year returned 6.4km/l @ 95-105kph to KZN, but changing gears is part of the driving experience, not an issue for me.

This much is clear, the V6 should be a no-brainer, especially considering maintenance costs, short and long term. Best is of course to drive it and decide, Toyota and Colt is quite different.

youtube clips

Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Nope, it was due to the crappiest cruise control in the history of man.
    Still better than not have cruise control at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Hmm, I'm actually not so sure about that when it comes to the 4.0l V6 Toyotas. I also hated it, it's better when you just tap it down a gear when you near an uphill section, and then tap back into top once you're level again, but it's still the worst cruise control out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    I disagree with you.

It is so aggravating that I stopped using it.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I disagree with you.

It is so aggravating that I stopped using it.

My comments was meant to be tongue in the cheek as in "`n halwe eier is beter as `n lee dop"

Toyota is so far behind when it comes to technology in their cars its actually funny, next thing you are going to tell me is that they still have a green LCD clock on the dashboard

Or no automatic rain sensor, folding mirrors, heated seats and steering wheel , key less entry or key less start, memory seats, lane assist , navigation system, voice commands, apple carplay, built in bluetooth, ISO fix , motorised hatch , tyre pressure monitoring, emergency break assist. The competition is so far ahead most of time its not even funny.

Owning both these and going back to the previous shape Hilux with the 5 speed V6 and a Cruiser 79 V6 they both have their merits.
    The 2.8 diesel is a economical (unladen) daily cruiser but when you tow with it the picture changes dramatically and is gutless when revving it out - it loves 2000rpm and on the Auto this is where it lives all day long.
    The V6 engine drops out under (gutless) 2500 and works best over 2800-3000rpm and comes truly alive over 3500 rpm, but keeping it in the sweet spot requires fuel - lots of it - but it is glorious.
    I supercharges one of the V6's and it last longer when towing (does not drop out as quick) but still you need to keep it above 2800rpm range while towing a heavy load.

I run my old 5 speed V6 Hilux mostly in 4th gear and even got better economy by doing this - engine labours to much under 2500 rpm - it was designed to be a rev happy engine.

My advise, if you are buying for light daily use with the occasional heavy load or towing requirement and even the odd dune trip the 2.8 GD6 will do just fine. However if it is your regular tow and load vehicle or you want to really eat the dunes or travel Africa (diesel fuel concerns) and fuel is not a concern, restrict use of the overdrive gear and enjoy the smooth sound of a beautiful V6.

Maybe Toyota could add n electric motor to compliment the V6 and boost the power requirement at lower RPM...
    Hybrid bakkie...now that would be something

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by boffen View Post
    Get yourself a V6 Amarok you will not be sorry I'm not trying to deviate from this thread but just do yourself a favour and go and drive one you have nothing to lose I can positively confirm an ex Toyota drivers words ,"I never thought that the difference was that significant"
    Amarok V6 is the way to go !!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast