Any Hilux V6 Auto owners?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Any Hilux V6 Auto owners?

Hi All,

Im looking at replacing my Fortuner with a Legend 50. Is the V6 Auto a good alternative to the 2.8? Im tired of diesels😎 (Consumption is not a concern).

Thanks.

Default Re: Any Hilux V6 Auto owners?

Not a Hilux but Fortuner story.

After one 2.8 Terracan, 2 D4D Fortuners and one 2.8 GD-6 I too got tired of diesel and purchased the Fortuner V6.

Man I miss 450Nm at 2000rpm that the GD-6 offers, I mean I really miss it.

You have to DRIVE the V6 to really get it going, unless an auto you will go nuts with all the gear changes on slopes where the 2.8 would glide up without changing. I am finding gearing down rather irritating.

Go take the V6 for a long drive 100km on a hilly known road and compare the two. The drive difference despite the same everything else is markedly different for me.

On the positive side the ride is quieter and appears more refined because of this.

Also not sure how both vehicle get the same gearbox despite the vastly differing engine characteristics

I knew the V6 was going to be costly and at 14l/100km I was not wrong and it was expected. For and extra 5l/km one would have expected some really great performance increase, not for me.

The jury is out for me, but one thing I do know for certain, my next vehicle is a turbo diesel. kW ain't no substitute for Nm.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Not a Hilux but Fortuner story.

After one 2.8 Terracan, 2 D4D Fortuners and one 2.8 GD-6 I too got tired of diesel and purchased the Fortuner V6.

Man I miss 450Nm at 2000rpm that the GD-6 offers, I mean I really miss it.

You have to DRIVE the V6 to really get it going, unless an auto you will go nuts with all the gear changes on slopes where the 2.8 would glide up without changing. I am finding gearing down rather irritating.

Go take the V6 for a long drive 100km on a hilly known road and compare the two. The drive difference despite the same everything else is markedly different for me.

On the positive side the ride is quieter and appears more refined because of this.

Also not sure how both vehicle get the same gearbox despite the vastly differing engine characteristics

I knew the V6 was going to be costly and at 14l/100km I was not wrong and it was expected. For and extra 5l/km one would have expected some really great performance increase, not for me.

The jury is out for me, but one thing I do know for certain, my next vehicle is a turbo diesel. kW ain't no substitute for Nm.
    Thanks Andrew. Excellent feedback, highlighting my concerns. Much appreciated.

I had a similar experience with my Heritage V6 auto, with cruise control engaged the auto gearbox hunts even at 120 on the slightest of hills and it can be rather annoying. A friend of mine had the Prado V6 and said that it did that same thing.

I've now gone back to a diesel with a BT-50 3.2 auto with 470 NM and there is no more hunting for the right gear.

However, if you can live with the hunting for the right gear and the high fuel bill then you might just love the 4.0 V6.
    To be completely honest I miss the V6, the sound of the motor and the smooth ride, no turbo lag, it was great.

I guess it depends on what you want out of your drive and the distances you travel, Diesels have their pros for sure but the V6 is also really good to drive.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi123 View Post
    Thanks Andrew. Excellent feedback, highlighting my concerns. Much appreciated.
    Get yourself a V6 Amarok you will not be sorry I'm not trying to deviate from this thread but just do yourself a favour and go and drive one you have nothing to lose I can positively confirm an ex Toyota drivers words ,"I never thought that the difference was that significant"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to boffen For This Useful Post:

Thanks All. Unfortunately in Swaziland there is no VW dealership, so this is not an option. Its really between the Ranger and the Hilux, and the Hilux just seems to last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by boffen View Post
    Get yourself a V6 Amarok you will not be sorry I'm not trying to deviate from this thread but just do yourself a favour and go and drive one you have nothing to lose I can positively confirm an ex Toyota drivers words ,"I never thought that the difference was that significant"
    Does the Amarok auto have low-range?

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Does the Amarok auto have low-range?
    No

1st gear in the auto is regarded as the donkey, crawling gear.
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi123 View Post
    Hi All,

Im looking at replacing my Fortuner with a Legend 50. Is the V6 Auto a good alternative to the 2.8? Im tired of diesels😎 (Consumption is not a concern).

Thanks.
    Hi,

Got mine now for about 8 months. 2017 Revo, 4x4, 4.0, V6, 38 000kms.

Great drive on the open road, great on the dunes in, great on the beach sand, great off-road ... extremely impressed with it's capabilities ... has never let me down ...

I've had no issues with the gearbox hunting for the right gears ... I've just change my driving style a little ...

That 4.0 V6 engine has a beautiful sound to it ... especially when overtaking ...
    However i feel that for a 4.0 V6 it should have more power ... just me ...

HORRENDOUS fuel consumption ...

All in all I'm a happy V6 owner ...

Had a few diesels before and i'm just not up for the repairs & maintenance again ... I wanted piece of mind and i'll gladly pay that extra on the fuel bill for it ...

Tim.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Timo7811! View Post
    Hi,

Got mine now for about 8 months. 2017 Revo, 4x4, 4.0, V6, 38 000kms.

Great drive on the open road, great on the dunes in, great on the beach sand, great off-road ... extremely impressed with it's capabilities ... has never let me down ...

I've had no issues with the gearbox hunting for the right gears ... I've just change my driving style a little ...

That 4.0 V6 engine has a beautiful sound to it ... especially when overtaking ...
    However i feel that for a 4.0 V6 it should have more power ... just me ...

HORRENDOUS fuel consumption ...

All in all I'm a happy V6 owner ...

Had a few diesels before and i'm just not up for the repairs & maintenance again ... I wanted piece of mind and i'll gladly pay that extra on the fuel bill for it ...

Tim.
    Do the new V6 auto's also come with a 4-speed, or have they changed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Hi,

6 speed...

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    The V6 in the Hilux has always been a 5 speed and now in the GD6 a 6 speed.

After a V6 Fortuner and a V6 Prado, I bought a 2.8 auto GD6 in January.

Next time I will probably buy a V6 again!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

I have now scratched around on Google and came to the following conclusions: (I can not vouch for the accuracy of the data, it is the internet after all)
    The statement that the Amarok has a "crawler gear" doesn't hold water. Sure, it is mentioned in write-ups, so I assume VW has put that phrase out there. The gear ratios of the V6 Amarok and the new Pajero Sport are pretty much the same. But of course the Pajero has a 2.6 ratio low range. The top gear ratios are also the same and both do approx 120kph at 2000rpm, so I'm assuming similar diff ratios as well.
    The 2.8 diesel Toyota has exactly the same gear ratios and diff ratio as the 4.0V6 petrol model. If that is true, then it explains the complaints coming from V6 owners in general. Most "caring" manufacturers will at least drop the diff ratio on the petrol model to allow better cruising access to the higher portion of the torque curve.
    Can someone please check their owner's manual and confirm I got accurate info on the Toyota ratios.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/02/19 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    ......so I assume VW has put that phrase out there.
    VW never claimed 1st to be a crawling gear...ignorant people did.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

Interesting discussion.

I am seriously considering buying a V6. My trusty Colt Rodeo 2.8 TD now has 314KKm on the clock. Bought it new in 2001. I believe I have one more opportunity to buy again. (I am 61 this year). This buy has to last me till I am 85 if I am spared to live that long and still being active.

I dont travel more than 10KKm per year with the Colt so the Toyota will do the same providing my Corolla lasts which is my daily drive.

Here is my thoughts and questions.

If I drive slow and not really go over the speed limit will the additional fuel really cost more than the extra service on the diesel. On the Colt I changed oil and filter every 5 000km since it was out of warrantee. I believe the petrol engine can be done every 10 000km.

My Colt uses 11liter per 100 km town and open road combined and 14 liter per 100km towing the caravan. Will the V6 be really that much heavier. Doing no more than 120 for normal driving and no more than 100 when towing and even allowing speed to bleed off slightly on serious uphills.

I hear the argument about the diesel torque (and I have to qualify my statement that I have not towed with Toyota diesel ever) but my experience with a diesel is that once you are over 2500 RPM only the revs will climb but not really the speed. Is it different with the 2.8GD6 Toyota?

Lastly I wont have money to buy a new so what are the chances of buying more peace of mind. The V6 or the 2.8?

I really got good service from my diesels. Colt currently on 314KKm and before that Isuzu KB 280 sold on 296KKm which was a single cab and not ideal for a family that is why I sold it so I am not complaining about the diesel.

Thanks

Johan

Here is confirmation that the petrol and diesel Toyotas share the same ratios in gearbox and diff.
    https://www.toyota.com.au/86/~/media...ure-140917.pdf
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/02/20 at 05:27 AM.

Over many years I have studied gear ratios for the many conversions I have done over years. Toyota tend to keep gearbox ratios the same but alter diff ratios.
    Excluding the 4.2 Diesel 70 Series Cruiser the rest with the H151 gearbox have the same ratios but the diff ratios are different.

On the Prado the auto v6 and auto 2.8 have the same gearbox and diff ratios. The manual 2.8 have a lower diff ratio.
    With modern electronic controlled auto boxes I can see why they are not bothered doing ratio changes. Slip and the rpm at to where the box should change can be altered by programing. Even functions reading torque are programed in.

I own both a v8 76 and v6 79 Cruisers. With the v8 I hardly touches the gear lever on the open road the v6 you need to stir that lever to keep it happy. The 1GR V6 loves refs.

End of 2018 coming back from a West Coast trippie my son were driving the v6 and he complained that he could not keep up with the v8 I were driving. Had to slow down and wait for him up Spektakel Pass. This year I were in the v6 up the Aninous pass with me in the v6 I had no problem matching the pace of the v8. I just kept the v6 in its power band even if it means changing down to 3rd gear. Daardie v6 moet gil anders trek hy nie.

That is where my love for big petrol v8`s come in. You have the torque of a diesel but twice the power of a diesel. Way better to have 300kw and 600nm than 200kw and 600nm.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Grips,
    Elecronics in the transmission can't change the fact that the V6 is cruising at such low revs that the engine has no power. It has to change down for the smallest hill.
    I agree with you, the electronics make sure that it happens, but people used to diesel cars do not take kindly to the constant gear changing of the V6.
    If only Toyota had dropped the diff ratio....

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Grips,
    Elecronics in the transmission can't change the fact that the V6 is cruising at such low revs that the engine has no power. It has to change down for the smallest hill.
    I agree with you, the electronics make sure that it happens, but people used to diesel cars do not take kindly to the constant gear changing of the V6.
    If only Toyota had dropped the diff ratio....
    Ek nie meganies so op die ball nie, maar is om die diff ratio stadiger te maak, maar nie net dieselfde as om altyd in een rat stadiger te ry nie?
    As jy nie hou van die ratio nie, ry net altyd in een rat stadiger, en gebruik nooit top rat nie.
    Dan behoort dit jou net in 1ste rat te pla, maar jy spandeer baie min tyd in 1ste rat, en die v6 het genoeg grunt om weg te trek in sy ho eerste.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek nie meganies so op die ball nie, maar is om die diff ratio stadiger te maak, maar nie net dieselfde as om altyd in een rat stadiger te ry nie?
    As jy nie hou van die ratio nie, ry net altyd in een rat stadiger, en gebruik nooit top rat nie.
    Dan behoort dit jou net in 1ste rat te pla, maar jy spandeer baie min tyd in 1ste rat, en die v6 het genoeg grunt om weg te trek in sy ho eerste.
    Reenen dit is die ding. Die v6 verg `n heel ander ry styl as `n diesel. Jy moet sy gat roer hy hou van revs. Dit is maar met die handrat ook normaal om die kierie te roer. Ek verstaan dat ouens wat aan diesels gewoond is nie van aanhoudende ratwisselings hou nie. Maar dit is ongelukkig hoe jy die v6 moet ry. Dink 5de en 6de is altwee overdrives op die Toyota auto box.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast