VW Vivo 1.4 normally aspirated or New Polo 1tsi_Opinions Please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default VW Vivo 1.4 normally aspirated or New Polo 1tsi_Opinions Please

If you had to choose between a New Polo Vivo 1.4 normally aspirated engine, or the new Polo with the 1litre tsi engine,
    what would you choose, and why? Scenario: Car will be kept for at least 5 years, in the Cape Town area. Combination
    of 60% city driving, 40% highway. Daily driving of 70km.

Current price of Vivo 1.4 Comfortline: R206 800. Average fuel use: 5.9L/Km
    Current price of Polo 1tsi Trendline: R256 400. Average fuel use: 4.5L/Km

Polo Fuel saving over 5 years: R23 490 (So there will be a fuel saving of R23 490 over a 5 year ownership if the 1tsi is chosen, theoretically)

Opinions please. Please focus on the two models above, and avoid other engines/brands.
    'Unless you are a pregnancy test,...take your negativity elsewhere.'

2013 Mazda BT-50 3.2

Default Re: VW Vivo 1.4 normally aspirated or New Polo 1tsi_Opinions Please

Will it be finansed? because then the fuel saving is offset by the higher interest paid.
    How does servicing cost compare? warranty?
    Same type of luxuries?
    The new polo will probably have higher resale value in 5 years time.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    Will it be finansed? because then the fuel saving is offset by the higher interest paid.
    Same type of luxuries?
    Don`t bet on it. Polo vivo resale value is some of the best around. I actually like the new vivo shape more than the new Polo. The 1l on the Polo is quite a bit more spirited than the 1.4 Vivo. If you were to keep it longer than the 5 years, I would put my bet`s on the 1.4 to be cheaper on maintenance. The 3 cyl 1L is quite a hi-tech piece of equipment, being turbo charged and all. Millions of the 1.4 has been built and around, parts relatively cheap. Best of luck with your decision.

Groetnis

Koos

Hi, Neil:

- Yes, it will be financed, with no deposit if possible.

- Good question. I will consider extending the 3 year factory warranty to 5 years for peace of mind. But I reckon the service cost of the more
    advanced tsi engine will be higher. Something to consider for long term ownership.

Same type of luxuries?
    - No. I took the "Nice" specced Vivo, and the cheapest 1tsi Polo. So it is not a apples with apples comparison regarding spec level. I'm trying to
    make the decision based on engine only.

- Good point. Better resale value might even out the price gap a little?

2013 Mazda BT-50 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    Don`t bet on it. Polo vivo resale value is some of the best around. I actually like the new vivo shape more than the new Polo. The 1l on the Polo is quite a bit more spirited than the 1.4 Vivo. If you were to keep it longer than the 5 years, I would put my bet`s on the 1.4 to be cheaper on maintenance. The 3 cyl 1L is quite a hi-tech piece of equipment, being turbo charged and all. Millions of the 1.4 has been built and around, parts relatively cheap. Best of luck with your decision.

Groetnis

Koos
    Thanks Koos.

Just for arguments sake.. Even if the tsi car works out to be more expensive (obviously), will the pleasure of daily driving of the tsi car (vs the 1,4) make up for the difference?
    Last edited by HotWheels; 2019/12/06 at 12:36 PM.

2013 Mazda BT-50 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by HotWheels View Post
    Thanks Koos.

Just for arguments sake.. Even if the tsi car works out to be more expensive (obviously), will the pleasure of daily driving of the tsi car (vs the 1,4) make up for the difference?
    Not so sure. Wife owns a 1.4 Vivo, and I drive it often. Solid enjoyable drive. I have not driven a 1L yet, so can not really comment on the experience. For town/city driving and a longer trip now and then, I must say the 1.4 is more than up to the job. On long distance, 2 persons and baggage in the car, keeping between 115 and 120 km/h, we easily maintain 16km/litre. Best achieved on a 800km round trip to the Free state on one occasion was 17,1 km/L. The thing I enjoy most about the Polo`s is that it feels like you are driving a much bigger car comfort wise. Which ever you decide on, none would be a mistake in my opinion.

Groetnis

Koos

Hi Hotwheels
    I have a new Golf 7 1400TSI with the DSG transmission, an absolute pleasure to drive (swambo wheels) but to commute to work from Somerset West to Airport city every day I purchased a used 2018 VW Up with 62000 km ( the industrial fall out at work just ingrains itself into the paint work hence the used Up) It has the 1 Liter 3 cylinder naturally aspirated engine I am quite amazed at this little vehicle, comfortable to drive all the mod cons and runs long quite happily with the traffic, 615km on 31 liters of fuel on the last fill up. I would seriously look at the new Polo 1LT I see it also comes with a service plan which the Vivo does not.
    What ever decision you make I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

Just my 2c worth
    Regards
    Neil Sauls

Take the least slow one

Haha.. Ja m0lt3n.. I wish I could. I just took the tsi Polo for a test drive. What an amazing engine. Very good torque and accelaration, both from standstill and from 80 to 140 on the highway. I test drove the 1.4 Yesterday, and the two engines is day and night. Just go and drive both, and decide for yourself. BUT.. But now... BECAUSE it is so good, you can get yourself into speed fines quick quick. AND because you will want to go quick quick, you will burn just as much fuel as the 1.4 in my opinion. So I just voided my own argument for getting the tsi to save on fuel..

So, I think, if I had the extra R50 000, I would get the tsi. But I do not. Both are great cars, but different animals.

Neil: thanks for the info on the Up! It made me consider putting it on the shortlist. Is it really user friendly on the highway?

Hi Nick
    I have owned many vehicles in my time, I bought the Up as a run around, just to give you an idea we came back from Paarl last Sunday, took the Up, driving down the highway I was at 140 with 3 adults. The car was Just cruising felt safe and steady on the road. Road holding is good, brakes are good comfortable (i am 1.89m tall and overweight with swambo and a heavy on the backseat) Yes I am impressed, a/c works well brakes are good and its reasonably stable in the Cape South Easter, no rattles either. It also has a 5 star safety rating. My son tells me it,s safer than a Volvo cos being small it's harder to hit
    Suggest you take a test ride and take one with some km on it

Regards
    Neil Sauls

Hi Neil,

Thanks. Did you take an extended warranty on the Up when you bought it? My only concern with the Up is that glass door at the back. It may be quite expensive if you had to replace it out of warranty?

I like the design of the Up a lot. I will go and do a test drive soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSmit View Post
    Hi Neil,

Thanks. Did you take an extended warranty on the Up when you bought it? My only concern with the Up is that glass door at the back. It may be quite expensive if you had to replace it out of warranty?

I like the design of the Up a lot. I will go and do a test drive soon.
    That is what insurance is for?

Hi Grim. About a year ago, I had to replace the engine on my BT50 due to overheating. Cost: R80 000. I had Motorite Mechanical Warranty, but they only
    paid out R6500. I also have comprehensive insurance with Outsurance, because the bakkie is financed, but they covered exactly R0, like in R zero . Very
    frustrating

Maybe insurance will cover the glass if you specify it at additional monthly fees?

Quote Originally Posted by NickSmit View Post
    Hi Grim. About a year ago, I had to replace the engine on my BT50 due to overheating. Cost: R80 000. I had Motorite Mechanical Warranty, but they only
    paid out R6500. I also have comprehensive insurance with Outsurance, because the bakkie is financed, but they covered exactly R0, like in R zero . Very
    frustrating

Maybe insurance will cover the glass if you specify it at additional monthly fees?
    An insurer (Outsurance eg) would not cover mechanical failure unless its as a result of an accident. Eg. Gearbox casing cracked as a direct result of an accident.
    I've had glass replaced a few times over the years, break ins, stone chip which later cracked, and once from sitting in the sun, closed the car door, and crack, there goes the windscreen. Every time the repair was covered by insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWheels View Post
    If you had to choose between a New Polo Vivo 1.4 normally aspirated engine, or the new Polo with the 1litre tsi engine,
    what would you choose, and why? Scenario: Car will be kept for at least 5 years, in the Cape Town area. Combination

Polo Fuel saving over 5 years: R23 490 (So there will be a fuel saving of R23 490 over a 5 year ownership if the 1tsi is chosen, theoretically)

Opinions please. Please focus on the two models above, and avoid other engines/brands.
    1) The 1,4's only drawback, and thats the ONLY one, is that its underpowered. Underpowered is subjective I guess, but ja - the TSI will have more torque, overtake easier, so in terms of "overtaking easier" I would also put some safety factor in that.
    2) In town, robot to robot driving or heavy traffic, I think the above will be less noticable on the 1,4.......the TSI (may) have a bit of "lag" at low RPM?? I dunno, have never driven a 1,0 TSI, only the 1,2's.
    3) If I had to choose between a N/A 1,4 Polo or a high tech 1,0 TSI in 5 years' time, lets say each with 100 000km on the odo, I would rather condider the 1,4 engine EVEN AT THE SAME PRICE..............my opinion.

I know you asked "only the 2 cars"..........but why not look at the 1,6 Vivo Much more drivable than the 1,4, but it still has that "old school" fundamentals, and that 1,6 VW engine is legendary.

Happy Hunting..........!!
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Ok, Thanks Grim. Next time I feel something is up with my bakkie, I will aim for the nearest bus..nose first

Sorry, missed this in OP:............

Combination

I would look at the Comfortline 1,4, at R 50k less.

But ja once again, sorry I know you only wanted the TWO comparisons.........look at the 1,6 too.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Sorry, missed this in OP:............

Combination

I would look at the Comfortline 1,4, at R 50k less.

But ja once again, sorry I know you only wanted the TWO comparisons.........look at the 1,6 too.
    Totally agree with Petri. My eldest son has a 2018 Vivo Maxx 1.6. Real pleasure to drive in town or high way. I am talking under correction, but I think the 1.6 is just a stroked 1.4. Stephan will know.

Groetnis

Koos

My daughter has the 1.4 auto. Sluggish in town, but bearable (When I drive, I do so in "S")
    But one you hit 120/open road, it is unstoppable and will do so kilometer after kilometer.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksmit View Post
    ok, thanks grim. Next time i feel something is up with my bakkie, i will aim for the nearest bus..nose first

;d;d;d

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast