Botswana trip

Thread: Botswana trip

Default Botswana trip

Good day all

As I mentioned in my post under the Namibian section, we are traveling to the Caprivi in December. But first we will be travelling to Tuuthebe, Baines Baobabs and Guma Lagoon Lodge before entering Namibia. Does anyone have any recommendations of points of interest along the route that we should be visiting.

My second question, we are staying at Baines for one night (probably not enough) how accessible would the roads be around the end of December should Botswana had its share or rain fall? We will be towing and camp trailer but also driving in a convoy.

And the last question, from Baines to Guma the GPS states 7 and half hours, is this realistic or should we plan for a couple of extra hours on the road, especially the portion between Baines and the main road?

Apologies for all the questions but you assistance will greatly be appreciated.
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. David Livingston

Default Re: Botswana trip

Kan ons saam gaan asb?
    Albert Gravett
    Isuzu KB6 3.0 D-Teq D/C 4x4 Auto
    ORRA Call Sign B66

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertG View Post
    Kan ons saam gaan asb?
    Ons moet nog oor daai een gesels.
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. David Livingston

I stayed at Baine's Baobabs on the 30th of October this year.

Here's a photo of the map they showed us at the gate near the main road:
    Name:  IMG_0755.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  316.9 KB

The section from point 1 to point 2 is sandy - not too challenging but I did see one vehicle get stuck and signs of where others had gotten stuck. Here's a video of what that section was like:

I picked out the worst parts of the track in that video. For most of it, I was just cruising at 30-35kph in 4lo. I don't know how the rains will affect the sand. It might compact it and make it easier or it might make it sticky. Someone with more knowledge or experience of the area might be able to tell you.

Once you turn off that section at point 2, there are two tracks to Baine's Baobabs. One is 12km and one is 14km. We were told to take the 14km track because the other one is apparently in poor condition. If you're staying in camps 2 or 3, that's fine but we had to drive across the pan because we stayed at camp 1. The pan was hard when we crossed but if it had rained a lot, I would not be too keen to drive across the pan. The 14km track was very firm and easy driving, with high clearance required in a few spots but nothing bad. I don't think the rains would have a big effect on it.

When you're heading from Guma Lagoon to Caprivi, Tsodilo hills are well worth a stop. Allow yourself a few hours there to do a hiking tour - it's well worth it.

Hope that helps,
    Tim.
    Last edited by tadhgocuilleain; 2019/12/06 at 02:27 PM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by tadhgocuilleain View Post
    I stayed at Baine's Baobabs on the 30th of October this year.

Here's a photo of the map they showed us at the gate near the main road:
    Name:  IMG_0755.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  316.9 KB

The section from point 1 to point 2 is sandy - not too challenging but I did see one vehicle get stuck and signs of where others had gotten stuck. Here's a video of what that section was like:

I picked out the worst parts of the track in that video. For most of it, I was just cruising at 30-35kph in 4lo. I don't know how the rains will affect the sand. It might compact it and make it easier or it might make it sticky. Someone with more knowledge or experience of the area might be able to tell you.

Once you turn off that section at point 2, there are two tracks to Baine's Baobabs. One is 12km and one is 14km. We were told to take the 14km track because the other one is apparently in poor condition. If you're staying in camps 2 or 3, that's fine but we had to drive across the pan because we stayed at camp 1. The pan was hard when we crossed but if it had rained a lot, I would not be too keen to drive across the pan. The 14km track was very firm and easy driving, with high clearance required in a few spots but nothing bad. I don't think the rains would have a big effect on it.

When you're heading from Guma Lagoon to Caprivi, Tsodilo hills are well worth a stop. Allow yourself a few hours there to do a hiking tour - it's well worth it.

Hope that helps,
    Tim.

Thank you for this, it will be a great help

I saw this photo on Facebook. This is Nxai pan this morning: