How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Braunschweig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 478

    Default How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Dear forumites, we will be heading for Nairobi in a few weeks and I am not sure if we have Chosen the Right way to Exit Karen towards Ol Pejeta. Thanks to the Information kindly provided by Stan Weakley in his SlowDonkey Blog I came up with the attached route - can anybody confirm that I did not mess up the driving instructions? A big thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Hi Anne

    Normally that would be the way to avoid the centre of Nairobi going on the Southern By-pass, through Kikuyu, Wangige, Ndenderu, on to the Limuru Road, and thence on to the Northern By-pass to Ruiru.

    However, there are major roadworks at the junction with the A104 (shown on your map as Gitaru) where an interchange is being built. Also the road from there to Wangige and Nderunderu is being repaired and might still be closed.

    The roads through central Nairobi are not as bad as when Stan was there in 2015 with new highways built. I will get back to you with a recommended route once I have checked with my family in Kenya.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/12/05 at 02:10 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Lisbon
    Age
    56
    Posts
    350
    Thanked: 211

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Hi Anne,

    Good to know you are heading to Kenya and surely you won´t regret it. I have not done that path so I cannot help you. WW is already on top of it, and so you will not be better informed elsewhere.

    Have a great trip and then share it with us!

    AP

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,722
    Thanked: 3875

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Anne don't worry, you will get through the traffic of Nairobi, but for certain, WWs advice to come will make it much easier for you. Enjoy and feed us some info after your return.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Over the Christmas period, driving in Nairobi is blissful - little traffic.

    Do not go on the Eastern By-pass as Google might recommend. It goes through some of the less salubrious places on the outskirts of the capital city.

    Here is a map I made on Google Maps to show you the easiest route through central Nairobi. Follow this:

    https://goo.gl/maps/rEnxhtZ4apZPomNU7

    EDIT: Actually, that wretched Mr Google can move things without authority from me (!), so here is a description.

    The Hub - Karen roundabout - Ngong Road - Southern By-Pass - Langata Road - Nyayo Stadium - Uhuru Highway - past the National Museum - Parklands Road - and then join the the Embu-Nairobi Highway A2.

    Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/12/05 at 07:03 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Braunschweig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 478

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    WW, thanks so much for this useful information. I was already wondering why google was so reluctant to lead us via Gitaru - now I know why and will certainly follow your advice.

    Coming back from the Mara we will have the same problem: Normally I would drive via Sekenani Gate - Narok - Mai Mahiu - Gitaru and the Southern Bypass - does it still make sense? (Google is not so reluctant in this case) or do you have a different recommendation?

    @apfac and Stan: thanks for your good wishes. We will report back on our experience and I am pretty confident that we will not lament dust and drought this time

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post

    Coming back from the Mara we will have the same problem: Normally I would drive via Sekenani Gate - Narok - Mai Mahiu - Gitaru and the Southern Bypass - does it still make sense? (Google is not so reluctant in this case) or do you have a different recommendation?
    I have a lovely, lovely route for you from near the top of the escarpment back to Karen. It is, apparently, called the D411. Effectively, it runs parallel (ish) to the main Nairobi-Nakuru road (A104) and the turn-off is off the “old” escarpment road a few miles after the main ascent from the Rift Valley. You will be coming up this “old” escarpment road from Mai Mahihu. This D411 is a good tarmac road winding through shambas and woods near the edge of the Rift Valley. We drove it a few times in August. No heavy trucks and very little traffic, but quite a few villages and schools.

    I will send you a route map in the next few days.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2019/12/06 at 01:05 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    We will report back on our experience and I am pretty confident that we will not lament dust and drought this time
    Indeed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Braunschweig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 478

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I have a lovely, lovely route for you from near the top of the escarpment back to Karen. It is, apparently, called the D411. Effectively, it runs parallel (ish) to the main Nairobi-Nakuru road (A104) and the turn-off is off the “old” escarpment road a few miles after the main ascent from the Rift Valley. You will be coming up this “old” escarpment road from Mai Mahihu. This D411 is a good tarmac road winding through shambas and woods near the edge of the Rift Valley. We drove it a few times in August. No heavy trucks and very little traffic, but quite a few villages and schools.

    I will send you a route map in the next few days.
    I think I found the d411 in Google maps, there it is called b3 and runs parallel to a104 without touching gitaru.

    Again, a big asante sana!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    I think I found the d411 in Google maps, there it is called b3 and runs parallel to a104 without touching gitaru.

    Again, a big asante sana!
    The B3 is the “old” escarpment road (built by the Italian prisoners-of-war in the Second War). The “new” escarpment road is the A104 (new in that it was built about 40 years ago!). You will see the D411 turning off the B3 about 4 kms before (coming from Mai Mahihu) the B3 merges with the A104.

    The trucks have to go down the escarpment on the B3; they are not allowed on the A104 between that junction with the B3 and Naivasha town.

    I will send a map in a day or so.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Age
    56
    Posts
    898
    Thanked: 803

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Anne, all the best with your trip. So looking forward to read about your Kenyan adventures! Safari njema.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,537
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    As promised, here is a map I made showing the D411.

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cq...5V&usp=sharing

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,722
    Thanked: 3875

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Got it for next time. Perhaps my Nairobi traffic errors and getting lost are over! Nothing is foolproof.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Braunschweig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 478

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Anne, all the best with your trip. So looking forward to read about your Kenyan adventures! Safari njema.
    Thanks ortelius, have a great and safe trip as well!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Braunschweig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    430
    Thanked: 478

    Default Re: How to exit Nairobi/Karen towards Thika

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    As promised, here is a map I made showing the D411.

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cq...5V&usp=sharing
    Asante sana, your sound advice is much appreciated

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •