Discovery 3 What vehicle after a Landrover

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What vehicle after a Landrover

Just turned 61 and realised with a shock that in 4 short years it is Pension time ...
    The question entered my mind when I replaced the rear Discs/Pads and hand brake shoes on my Disco 3 at 3+K and wondered how a pensioner would be able to maintain such a lovely but expensive vehicle...

But the question stays, what other 4 x 4 SUV has got the space and driving pleasure like a Disco

I have been looking at 4 vehicles

Pajero, Suzuki V6(Petrol) Ford Everest and last "Fortuner"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsibushi.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	549980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fortuner.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	549983  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

Default Re: What vehicle after a Landrover

Budget? That's the question I suppose. But looking at the examples you gave I'm guessing between R150k and R300k?

Some to add to your list:

Chev Trailblazer. I'm biased cause I had one and it was great. That 2.8 oil burner is just sublime. Plus, there are some good deals to be had since their value took a knock when Chev left. Now serviced and maintained by Isuzu dealers.

Prado V6. Never had one but from what I've read on here, people swear by them.

Pajerosport. People love them. IMO both this car and the Trailblazer was far better value for money than the previous generation Fortuners, plus you don't have to run out the mall every 11 minutes to check if your car has been expropriated without compensation....

Just some options...

Edit: I don't think any of these offer the luxury of the Disco, but all are maybe easier on the pocket to maintain.

In the end, a proper Pajero is probably your best bet.
    Last edited by Groenman; 2019/12/04 at 07:59 PM.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

From your list the Fortuner would be a good long term vehicle

I presume that you realise that with any other brand, besides LR, you only need one.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Just turned 61 and realised with a shock that in 4 short years it is Pension time ...
    The question entered my mind when I replaced the rear Discs/Pads and hand brake shoes on my Disco 3 at 3+K and wondered how a pensioner would be able to maintain such a lovely but expensive vehicle...

But the question stays, what other 4 x 4 SUV has got the space and driving pleasure like a Disco

I have been looking at 4 vehicles

Pajero, Suzuki V6(Petrol) Ford Everest and last "Fortuner"
    Out of interest, the Pajero in your line up is what is sometimes called the "Bos Pajero" - it was a sort of UN spec back to basics car and some did see duty in the role if I remember correctly. Steel rims, vinyl floor but running gear and engine all the same as the GLS Gen3's, was available 2005/ 2006.

From what I read here on the forum nothing but nothing can compare to a Disco so advice I do not have.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

You will never match the luxury you are used to. That said, you will get used to the new luxury very quickly, but you will forever look at other Disco's on the road and feel a tinge of pain in your heart. (Unless you go from D3 air suspension to solid axles, then you will never get used to it )

Repair costs are real unfortunately. Enough of that.

On your list, IMO either the Pajero or Fortuner. This is where head and heart comes in, but both are fine vehicles, go take each for a long drive and buy the one you like.

My personal choice is the Pajero.

Well Iím now one year on with my move from Pajero to Land Rover. Maintenace costs first year on both vehicles are on par. Fuel savings massive.

Incidentally, I paid the same price for breakpads on both vehicles. Disco4 vs Paj 3.8. Only difference is the sensor. LR wanted R900 but I got it from Brit4x4 for R150

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Well Iím now one year on with my move from Pajero to Land Rover. Maintenace costs first year on both vehicles are on par. Fuel savings massive.

Incidentally, I paid the same price for breakpads on both vehicles. Disco4 vs Paj 3.8. Only difference is the sensor. LR wanted R900 but I got it from Brit4x4 for R150
    Getting onto a dangerous topic now......
    2009 D3 TDv6 - 4 year ownership repair costs around R200k (I have a spreadsheet somewhere still probably). R130k for the engine in that R200k.
    2012 Jeep JK - 2 year ownership repair cost so far.........R1500 for a starter motor.

OP, something else, the Pajero's rear door opens to the side in similar fashion to the Prado, and the Fortuner opens vertically ike the Pajero Sport. I know it is a trivial thing but keep it in consideration perhaps, loading a roof rack from the rear on the Fortuner/ Pajero Sport one can't do.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

I know what would I have done. But I only had 2 LRs before for a short while each.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/04 at 09:39 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    2009 D3 TDv6 - 4 year ownership repair costs around R200k (I have a spreadsheet somewhere still probably). R130k for the engine in that R200k.
    2012 Jeep JK - 2 year ownership repair cost so far.........R1500 for a starter motor.
    You think that was dangerous, try this for size.

2009 Range Rover TDV8 Sport. Spent less on repairs in 10 years and 250K km, (never broke down once), than I spent on my 2009 JK in 2 years and 20K km, (broke down all 10 times I used it).

RR only really replaced the Turbo's. JK replaced everything except the paint. A bit TIC but close enough to the bone to really smart.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Pick the brand with the most dealer presence in your area. In your case, Toyota.

Doing a 1000km round trip for a service isn't intelligent.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

You dont want to do some research and share it here?

Compare actual maintenance costs of all your options, choose an item and price it.

IMO Fortuner maintenance isnt exactly cheap

I have the SAME problem in 2 years time.

Ive a nice D4 now.

it's probably better on the long run to keep it and hold a maintenance fund - compared to the hit on another NEW vehicle.

[I have to admit the Super Charged new defender grabs me]

{note defender with a small d }
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Ok, don't shoot me here, but can I give an option.

I loved our D3, but I also hated the crappy thing. The drive, capabilities and so forth was absolutely fantastic, but alas, the reliability was what killed me.

Anyway, do you plan on doing proper 4x4, or just some 4x4, I suppose is the biggest question.

If proper 4x4, well then I suppose I would go for a Fortuner, but beware of the hijack risk of them.

If not proper, have you had a look at the FL2? A bit smaller and not all the stuff the Disco has, but much more reliable, and cheaper to maintain. I paid 1600 for Discs and pads for rear, mind you, I did install it myself, and did buy from Safety brake and clutch.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Dirk, thatís exactly my point. My Paj was expensive. I spent R120k on mine in one year. Granted, thats the exception. Predominantly a Paj is cheap and reliable but it still remains a throw of the dice.

Zapiture,
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Pick the brand with the most dealer presence in your area. In your case, Toyota.

Doing a 1000km round trip for a service isn't intelligent.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Do this......if maintenance cost is your driver.

Zapiture,
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    If not proper, have you had a look at the FL2? A bit smaller and not all the stuff the Disco has, but much more reliable, and cheaper to maintain. I paid 1600 for Discs and pads for rear, mind you, I did install it myself, and did buy from Safety brake and clutch.
    This.

Edit: Why? Because it is as comfortable, if not more so, than a Disco. Has similar interior space. Brilliant fuel consumption. It is not a 'proper 4x4' but it does very well in most conditions.
    Last edited by douglash; 2019/12/05 at 08:41 AM.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

A direct comparison for comfort and ability for a disco 3 would be a vw Touareg T1 - however your cost of maintenance will be similar.

Are going to retire in 4 years Moz ? or are you moving back to SA.

either way you have still 4 years there so you have the option of importing something from Japan for similar cost but with a lot less mileage.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

We have a D3 and a Fortuner. Have done extensive trips in both (though the recent longer ones: three times Malawi and once Tanzania) were in our Fortuner.

The Fortuner doesn't compare in space, drivability, comfort. But power is pretty good (manual box), and its been very reliable. I don't like driving it that much, but having said that on an overland, my attention is definitely more environment and less vehicle, while trips with the D3 ("recent" north west Zambia and Kaokoland) are more vehicle attention (just cause I love it so much) and less environment. If you understand what I mean.

Maintenance on the Fortuner for us has been a lot less than the D3, though we just discovered the dreaded Toyota windscreen frame rust when we changed the windscreen. Otherwise its been fantastic. Put in an aftermarket rear air spring helper system, maybe jack up the front a bit, and you can load and go most places anything else can, though no traction control on the front (but diff lock rear). And being full time 4WD it beats the part timers in what for me is an important area. Option for low range with centre diff unlocked would be nice.
    Last edited by zoneout; 2019/12/05 at 12:29 PM.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast