Discovery 3 What vehicle after a Landrover - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: What vehicle after a Landrover

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Just turned 61 and realised with a shock that in 4 short years it is Pension time ...
    The question entered my mind when I replaced the rear Discs/Pads and hand brake shoes on my Disco 3 at 3+K and wondered how a pensioner would be able to maintain such a lovely but expensive vehicle...

But the question stays, what other 4 x 4 SUV has got the space and driving pleasure like a Disco

I have been looking at 4 vehicles

Pajero, Suzuki V6(Petrol) Ford Everest and last "Fortuner"
    The answer is don't scratch where it's not itching. Any vehicle has risks and any new vehicle you buy brings in new risks or surprises.

One guy has a huge expense bill on his D4. Others have nothing. Others have that expense bill on his Prado. Over 5 years I've just serviced my D4 a couple of times, replaced tires twice and replaced a exhaust manifold gasket.

Keep your Disco and gladly pay the expenses which any other vehicle would have either way. Comfort wise you won't get anything near it.
    Last edited by George; 2019/12/05 at 01:51 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Life is too short not to scratch an itch

That's what my ex wife said also
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Thank you all for very positive inputs... Seems the Pajero is highly recommended and surely, Jello as said and Dirk confirmed: think with your head were service is available and the vehicle is reliable it must be the Tuna.

Yes budget is a factor; can not afford installment of new vehicle for 60 or 72 months...(That money must go to the Money market account)
    Cash buy max 150K or 100K deposit and max 36 months low installment (definitely less than 5 K per month Insurance included)

The Chevy yes I like--But could not find one in white (Henry Ford said it can be any color as long as it is black, mine is as long as it is white)

FL 2 is really a very nice vehicle with space but the 4 x 4 ability frightens me..
    In my retirement plan is a Aqua Quad when the paddling becomes difficult (Hope never BUT..) and I will need a beach driving capable vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    A direct comparison for comfort and ability for a disco 3 would be a vw Touareg T1 - however your cost of maintenance will be similar.
    Are going to retire in 4 years Moz ? or are you moving back to SA.
    either way you have still 4 years there so you have the option of importing something from Japan for similar cost but with a lot less mileage.
    Karol.. Ja thank you...Never looked at the Touareg..all I now it is very reliable and capable
    With all the red tape regarding Work visa's and DIRE in Moz nowadays it will be best to go back to SA...But not with a Tuna, might be "expropriated without compensation" (Loved that ..Thank you) or a Moz registered Jap import vehicle if it last four years.

Capt Chaos yes, serious crossed my mind to get D4 V8 Petrol and get Air suspension pump, Control arm bushes, etc...etc over the next couple of years so at the time the fountain dries up there is parts...and hopefully I can do it myself...

"You will never match the luxury you are used to. That said, you will get used to the new luxury very quickly, but you will forever look at other Disco's on the road and feel a tinge of pain in your heart. (Unless you go from D3 air suspension to solid axles, then you will never get used to it )"

This.... Dirk is my biggest problem...that picture of me in a "Something resembling a 4 x 4" and there this beast Land Rover is coming from the opposite side or passing in the next lane😢😢

Ja, that will be interesting to do a repair cost on all the favorites but I truly think there is very few if any other competent 4 x 4 with such a high repair and maintenance cost as the Discovery 3 and it seem the D4 as well
    (It is this stage where I wish for a time stand still but time will teach)
    Thank you all once again..
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

What is important is your contentment when driving the vehicle of choice. I have had a Pajero, really a great vehicle and have had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, maybe a favourite so far. I then asked a question why SUV and not double cab. I purchased a Ford 3,2 litre Ranger Auto double cab and would not swop it. I have comfort, packing capacity and it is very reasonable in costs per Kilometre. If I had to look at a SUV now it would probably either be a Pajero Sport, New Shape Everest with 3,2 engine or the LRD4 - there are some real bargains. I would not go back to manual gearboxes after having driven Auto in all different conditions. I hope you make the right choice. Remember trepidation and LR are renown bedfellows but most of the time the trepidation is brought about by "stories".Enjoy
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

So here's a thought... why not just get a well looked after D2. Cheap to maintain and run if it's looked after.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    So here's a thought... why not just get a well looked after D2. Cheap to maintain and run if it's looked after.
    Yes, and there is a couple of nice ones on OLX ...Good prices as well !
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

Just turned 61 and realised with a shock that in 4 short years it is Pension time ...
    The question entered my mind when I replaced the rear Discs/Pads and hand brake shoes on my Disco 3 at 3+K and wondered how a pensioner would be able to maintain such a lovely but expensive vehicle...

But the question stays, what other 4 x 4 SUV has got the space and driving pleasure like a Disco

I have been looking at 4 vehicles

Pajero, Suzuki V6(Petrol) Ford Everest and last "Fortuner"

LRTDV6, I presume you are intending to keep it for retirement, and are looking for something that is reliable and cheap to maintain and run

the fact of the matter is, all those vehicles in your choice are old... And will require a fair amount to maintain. And the Suzuki will cost even more when you fill it, and also have issues with spares availability and the cost of these spares are not to be taken lightly

The Everest, eats gearboxes and Universals - I know.. I've owned 2 - gearbox replacement R70k. The motors are very good,and they last for ever but.... those drive-trains... and they drive like crap
    The Pajero is fine, but spares are a problem of late.. and expensive, and you are going to battle to find one with less than 200k km. And after 300k km these things start costing money.. lots of it
    The Fortuner, is the lightest on fuel, and the cheapest and easiest to maintain.. but, finding a good one for decent money is going to be a bother.. and there are very few that are of good value..

I know this forum likes to suggest the Pajero, and also it is true that they are very good. But the age you are looking at, is difficult, and they will be needing care and maintenance.. And Mitsubishi, is not very well known to keep cheap spares and have them available...

My opinion.

If there is only one thing you take from my post, it is do not listen to these people who are recommending D2s... Unless you have time and money to look after it.. And a lot of both..

But what ever you decide, I wish you the best of luck
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2019/12/05 at 02:46 PM.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

The most important question is : how much do you have to spend??
    FJC - Just Cruising

Why not consider the Disco 2? Sure it's a downgrade in every way from the D3 but not by an enormous margin. The later TD5 engines are bulletproof and well understood. There are no fatal flaws (think TDV6 crankshaft)

Your running costs will be a tiny fraction of what you're used to on the D3
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

any second hand car is taking a chance for a retirement plan luck of the draw stuff, i would rather have a new cheapy on retirement and my old 4x4 in the garage to use when need be
    Last edited by vidalbum; 2019/12/05 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    any second hand car is taking a chance for a retirement plan luck of the draw stuff, i would rather have a new cheapy on retirement and my old 4x4 in the garage to use when need be
    New "cheapies" also break and can be costly.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Very sensible, I would agree.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Iím with this one, my 12 year old d3 v8 just have to do another 12 years , retired her to a holiday car only ( although my son,s canít keep there hands off her ) and most of the money spend on her goes towards mod,s . By now I know all the ins and outs of the d3 and are comfortable to fix most of the things that can go wrong . Just spend more money on a service on my bm,r than on the d3 the whole year ( maintenance wise )
    Using Tapatalk

Have you thought about a Nissan Patrol, either a later model 3.0 turbo diesel or the 4.8 petrol? At least it does give you the space you seem to need and most certainly the 4x4 ability.
    Those vehicles do last, the issues on the early 3.0 TD have been sorted and you get very good value for money.

Otherwise a Pathfinder? Speak to mcvoller, member on this forum.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

FL 2 is really a very nice vehicle with space but the 4 x 4 ability frightens me..
    In my retirement plan is a Aqua Quad when the paddling becomes difficult (Hope never BUT..) and I will need a beach driving capable vehicle
    You will be surprised how capable FL2's are!

I would say it is on par if not better than a D3 on sand.

Search for the post of JJJ(I think) where he did a Luderitz-Walvis(or some desert trip) in his FL2 - and the only vehicle that never got stuck!

And for sub R200k you can find late model, lowish mileage examples. SD4 = 140kw and 440Nm, low maintenance and very good fuel consumption.
    Last edited by thabogrobler; 2019/12/05 at 10:52 PM.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Iíve had my 2007 Fortuner now from early 2009 and got it with 25000km on the clock. After 10years (closer to 11years) and 200000km basically driving 99% of those kms myself the vehicle has performed flawlessly. Yes I look after it, not only service wise but also driving it properly...towing sensibly and while overlanding frequently never abuse it off road. I think if you treat the vehicle well it will mostly perform to your expectation. Major service items was 2 x clutches, set of brake disks and pads (2x brake pads). Iíve added a extra 2micron diesel filter. Anyway, the best vehicle is the one you love driving, trust and can afford to keep maintaining it. Biased as I may be, my choice would be the Fortuner.
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    Search for the post of JJJ(I think) where he did a Luderitz-Walvis(or some desert trip) in his FL2 - and the only vehicle that never got stuck!
    I would have loved to claim that, but no, it was the Luderitz/Saddle Hill trip with a 2001 Subaru Forester 2.0 GX.

However, if you go to Post #57 of the Freelander 2 Mods thread, you will find a link to Van Wildernis' trip report on the Solitaire/Walvis Bay Faces of the Namib expedition with his Freelander 2. A great read, even if it still does not convince you.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/12/05 at 09:53 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    You will be surprised how capable FL2's are!

I would say it is on par if not better than a D3 on sand.

And for sub R200k you can find late model, lowish mileage examples. SD4 = 140kw and 440Nm.
    Best buy you can make is a FL2. Both my kids on varsity drives them. The 2012 model we have is now sitting just under 370 000kms. Very reliable and not expensive to maintain, especially compared to a D3/D4. Very few places you can't go with them unless you want to do Baboons Pass and even then it might surprise you.
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.

Quote Originally Posted by retailer View Post
    Best buy you can make is a FL2. Both my kids on varsity drives them. The 2012 model we have is now sitting just under 370 000kms. Very reliable and not expensive to maintain, especially compared to a D3/D4. Very few places you can't go with them unless you want to do Baboons Pass and even then it might surprise you.
    Damn! 370 000km on a 2012!

I know of 2 older TD4's close to 500 000km with the minimum issues.

Was discussing the FL2's with a client who also runs one and we came to the conclusion there is not much that you can buy for the same money in terms of comfort, economy, capability and safety.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast