Discovery 3 What vehicle after a Landrover - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: What vehicle after a Landrover

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    Damn! 370 000km on a 2012!

I know of 2 older TD4's close to 500 000km with the minimum issues.

Was discussing the FL2's with a client who also runs one and we came to the conclusion there is not much that you can buy for the same money in terms of comfort, economy, capability and safety.
    Exactly, and they are getting scarce
    Die reŽn is 'n dag nader as gister.

As you will see, I came from a long history with LR. My dad was a LR dealer principal once, I just love the landys. But the maintenance and reliability issues are real. I spent R340k in 3 years on maintenance on my various landys. This kept me back in life, so I made the painfull decision to let go. It was painfull. 4 years on and I still stare at landys the way I used to. Driving past one in Kruger in my Ranger I envy the landy driver. Every now and then I get an itch to buy one again, only to drive past a broken down landy soon after, and the itch is gone, but the heartache stays. If one has never owned a landy, he will not understand the dillema the OP faces.

I went and bought the best new vehicle I could afford. The Ranger supercab base. No maintenance costs, the gearbox and clutch was replaced for free. Gearbox was actually not the problem, but out of warranty I would have had a hefty bill, and still have a busted vehicle.
    Said vehicle is underpowered, very basic, no cool factor at all, and not even 4x4.
    But it is new, has a factory warranty, service plan, and is reliable. Weigh up the pros and cons...

I have recovered from the landy bug financially, so now the time has come to get myself a Ranger Xls 4x4 auto.

If I was in your shoes, I would cut back on the vehicle luxuries, and get the best new vehicle you can afford asap and have it paid off when you retire. Last vehicle you will ever buy. You dont want to be 70 years old, with a 300 000km 4x4 of any make. this will eat al your money market savings in a very short time. Want vs need is the real deciding factor, but dont let the demons sway your decision.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    As you will see, I came from a long history with LR. My dad was a LR dealer principal once, I just love the landys. But the maintenance and reliability issues are real. I spent R340k in 3 years on maintenance on my various landys. This kept me back in life, so I made the painfull decision to let go. It was painfull. 4 years on and I still stare at landys the way I used to. Driving past one in Kruger in my Ranger I envy the landy driver. Every now and then I get an itch to buy one again, only to drive past a broken down landy soon after, and the itch is gone, but the heartache stays. If one has never owned a landy, he will not understand the dillema the OP faces.

I went and bought the best new vehicle I could afford. The Ranger supercab base. No maintenance costs, the gearbox and clutch was replaced for free. Gearbox was actually not the problem, but out of warranty I would have had a hefty bill, and still have a busted vehicle.
    Said vehicle is underpowered, very basic, no cool factor at all, and not even 4x4.
    But it is new, has a factory warranty, service plan, and is reliable. Weigh up the pros and cons...

I have recovered from the landy bug financially, so now the time has come to get myself a Ranger Xls 4x4 auto.

If I was in your shoes, I would cut back on the vehicle luxuries, and get the best new vehicle you can afford asap and have it paid off when you retire. Last vehicle you will ever buy. You dont want to be 70 years old, with a 300 000km 4x4 of any make. this will eat al your money market savings in a very short time. Want vs need is the real deciding factor, but dont let the demons sway your decision.
    My landy did 20 years without any problems , after my rebuild i got alot of problems . Most of the landies one sees next to the road is older than 10 years. Land Rovers arent nearly as unreliable as other brands owners make them out to be.

That being said if i was 70 i would buy a toyota corolla and leave my landy for the weekends.

Very hard choice for the op to make as Land Rovers are for me not just a car , i love them and i think the op feels the same.
    Last edited by Niela; 2019/12/06 at 10:56 AM.
    1996 300tdi Defender 110

AND HE IS HERE TO DO SOME BUSINESS WITH A BIG IRON ON HIS HIP

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    My landy did 20 years without any problems , after my rebuild i got alot of problems . Most of the landies one sees next to the road is older than 10 years. Land Rovers arent nearly as unreliable as other brands owners make them out to be.

That being said if i was 70 i would buy a toyota corolla and leave my landy for the weekends.

Very hard choice for the op to make as Land Rovers are for me not just a car , i love them and i think the op feels the same.
    Excellent advise....And as most of the times SWAMBO came up with the same Idea in her word:
    "Mens (That is me) moet maar 'n Plat karretjie koop dan spaar ons die landy vir die oudag"

Yes possibly the way I will go...because ...you know
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

Quite a few people have opted to keep old faithful in the garage for holidays and have a run about for the daily drive. The secret is keeping it in good trim during the non holiday times. Best of luck with your eventual choice.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

For me it would be a D4, D5 or the new Defender.

I wont get the same ride or capability in anything else.

I have personal issues that require this.
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Quote Originally Posted by rabbiddog View Post
    For me it would be a D4, D5 or the new Defender.

I wont get the same ride or capability in anything else.

I have personal issues that require this.
    Jip my swambo is difficult as well
    Using Tapatalk

To upset the apple cart somewhat as said before, unless you keep working after retirement your income stream dries up and its a question of how well you manage your funds thereafter, this includes budgeting for expenses.

Buy a new vehicle closer to your retirement if the current one is still OK.

I recommend that you invest the deposit now and add the monthly contributions diligently (keep your hands off it) until retirement, you should have enough funds then to buy a new vehicle cash that you can afford.
    It should at least give you for the first few years of retirement a warranty and maintenance.
    The reality will be that that amount of money saved will dictate to a large degree what you can afford given that you consider the running cost and "Type problems" known at that time that you buy.

Range Rover Vogue 4.4 TDV8
    1990 Classic Vogue SE
    1970 Classic 2 door
    1970 Classic 2 door

I have the same dilema excepting I retired 4 years ago with a 2009 D3 TDV6. I have have had the vehicle for 6 years now, just under 200 000kms. I too keep a spreadsheet on all expenses and my bill is just under R200 000. [About 2700.00 per month] This includes all servicing, tyres and non service related issues such as a HP gearbox flush, handbrake replacement, wheel bearings, air compressor, roof rack, front runner tow bar etc. etc. I love the vehicle but can't afford to buy a new one so barring catastrophic engine or gearbox failure it should be fine given that I do not thrash it, service every 12500kms and flush the gearbox every 40 to 50 thousand kms. If it does give up the ghost I shall look to a latish model Toyota or Pajero. I had a 2.8 swb Pajero before the Landy and enjoyed that car very much, but it would be close on 20 years old now if I had kept it.

Name:  IMG_6596.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  242.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Quite a few people have opted to keep old faithful in the garage for holidays and have a run about for the daily drive. The secret is keeping it in good trim during the non holiday times. Best of luck with your eventual choice.
    I fully agree!

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Just turned 61 and realised with a shock that in 4 short years it is Pension time ...
    The question entered my mind when I replaced the rear Discs/Pads and hand brake shoes on my Disco 3 at 3+K and wondered how a pensioner would be able to maintain such a lovely but expensive vehicle...

But the question stays, what other 4 x 4 SUV has got the space and driving pleasure like a Disco

I have been looking at 4 vehicles

Pajero, Suzuki V6(Petrol) Ford Everest and last "Fortuner"
    I'm 73 and drive a Disco 3 with 600K on the clock. It's has sleeping space for 3-4, roof can be elevated and there's a small stove, zink and water containers. So I live in it when going some where. It's difficult to find any 4x4 that'll give you the same pleasure and space. We have the same thoughts that you have, what's next?. Our debate includes: 1) A new Defender? Seems to be much like the Disco3/4. 2) VW California style with AWD and syncro, 3) as a last resort we are looking at a used Disco 4 ready to give it an overhaul and include the same equipment as in the old one. In this country that's the best option financially since we have 180% tax on cars and you loose 25% just being a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Out of interest, the Pajero in your line up is what is sometimes called the "Bos Pajero" - it was a sort of UN spec back to basics car and some did see duty in the role if I remember correctly. Steel rims, vinyl floor but running gear and engine all the same as the GLS Gen3's, was available 2005/ 2006.

From what I read here on the forum nothing but nothing can compare to a Disco so advice I do not have.
    Pal of mine has one, I think its the GLX ?? This one still stock standard, just above 100kkm, 1 owner. Also still has the original steel wheels. VERY cool car that!!

To OP.........dunno what budget/use/etc etc are, but, reading at what I'm reading, I'd say a nicely maintained Fortuner 3,0 D4D with reasonable miles should do it for you.

Really depends what your needs are - get the right tool for the jobb sort of thing.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Keep what you have!

Any of the other four cars you are looking at also need maintaining and servicing!

I was in a similar situation a few years ago!
    I worked out that it will be cheeper to keep my old Lady and maintain it regularly and properly, then spending money on a newer Car and also have maintenance cost there after!

I kept my old beloved Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Pal of mine has one, I think its the GLX ?? This one still stock standard, just above 100kkm, 1 owner. Also still has the original steel wheels. VERY cool car that!!

To OP.........dunno what budget/use/etc etc are, but, reading at what I'm reading, I'd say a nicely maintained Fortuner 3,0 D4D with reasonable miles should do it for you.

Really depends what your needs are - get the right tool for the jobb sort of thing.
    Petri

Ja, Thank you,
    Time to start thinking with the head and not the heart...Yes it all came down to a White Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4 x 4 Auto (Swambo, children, because they hope it will outlast me and they might get it......inlaws, garden Engineer, dishwasher replacement object, every body approved)
    Looking at 2014, 2015 mods Up to 250 K with 20% deposit and 48 months Finance if I buy now.
    Cash will deplete available funds(I will still drive the Disco and might be needed)...finance... 48 months left with stable income
    To high installment kill money market savings...
    Km ??...Well it is a Toyota..it never breaks and run up to milion Km ??

Sand Driving mostly
    Will be Daily and go on weekends and holiday, Kayak on roof and might pull Camping trailer (Challanger 4x4) or Jet ski or Skivee and launch as done with my Landy...

Why SUV and not double cab ? Loading space the same and not easy to help yourself with tools, groceries and stuff from the back.
    and a Canopy is a "Shlep" on and off

Very high Hi Jack risk yes....(Not as severe in area but will visit family in Gauteng once in a blue moon)
    Expropriation without compensation...even more of a chance

But hopefully it is reliable ....(I purposely din't said "More")
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful (Sold) Rusty
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ? (Scrapped) Could not last
    2011 Toyota Fortuner D4D 4x4 Man

Petri

Ja, Thank you,
    Time to start thinking with the head and not the heart...Yes it all came down to a White Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4 x 4 Auto (Swambo, children, because they hope it will outlast me and they might get it......inlaws, garden Engineer, dishwasher replacement object, every body approved)
    Looking at 2014, 2015 mods Up to 250 K with 20% deposit and 48 months Finance if I buy now.
    Cash will deplete available funds(I will still drive the Disco and might be needed)...finance... 48 months left with stable income
    To high installment kill money market savings...
    Km ??...Well it is a Toyota..it never breaks and run up to milion Km ??

Sand Driving mostly
    Will be Daily and go on weekends and holiday, Kayak on roof and might pull Camping trailer (Challanger 4x4) or Jet ski or Skivee and launch as done with my Landy...

Why SUV and not double cab ? Loading space the same and not easy to help yourself with tools, groceries and stuff from the back.
    and a Canopy is a "Shlep" on and off

Very high Hi Jack risk yes....(Not as severe in area but will visit family in Gauteng once in a blue moon)
    Expropriation without compensation...even more of a chance

But hopefully it is reliable ....(I purposely din't said "More")
    Buying in a VERY clean 2011 4x4 Tuna today, unfortunately Auto. PM me if interested.

Also have a 2012 Auto 4x4, high miler but excellent, belonged to family member, only long distance.

Petri when are you going to start a small website? I would like to keep an eye on your stock, as I want to upgrade sometime.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

Quote Originally Posted by jhw View Post
    I'm 73 and drive a Disco 3 with 600K on the clock. It's has sleeping space for 3-4, roof can be elevated and there's a small stove, zink and water containers. So I live in it when going some where. It's difficult to find any 4x4 that'll give you the same pleasure and space. We have the same thoughts that you have, what's next?. Our debate includes: 1) A new Defender? Seems to be much like the Disco3/4. 2) VW California style with AWD and syncro, 3) as a last resort we are looking at a used Disco 4 ready to give it an overhaul and include the same equipment as in the old one. In this country that's the best option financially since we have 180% tax on cars and you loose 25% just being a new car.
    Pictures or I donít believe , would really like to see your setup . V8 or diesel ?
    Using Tapatalk

Just turned 61 and realised with a shock that in 4 short years it is Pension time ...
    The question entered my mind when I replaced the rear Discs/Pads and hand brake shoes on my Disco 3 at 3+K and wondered how a pensioner would be able to maintain such a lovely but expensive vehicle...

But the question stays, what other 4 x 4 SUV has got the space and driving pleasure like a Disco

I have been looking at 4 vehicles

Pajero, Suzuki V6(Petrol) Ford Everest and last "Fortuner"

From the four you have on your list, the Pajero is the same class as your Disco.
    Even tho the Fortuner is a capable 4x4 it compares to the Pajero Sport, and Everest.

It is a difficult choice... All depends on what you want to do with the 4x4
    2006 Pajero GLS DiD LWB
    Echo 3 with Serengeti Trailer tent

!!! Ons gaan in Pa se Jero ry !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darron View Post
    Petri when are you going to start a small website? I would like to keep an eye on your stock, as I want to upgrade sometime.
    Darron, definitely something I just HAVE to do. Or not me - my son. I'm dom with these things.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast