Barberton To Ponto do Ouro





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10

    Default Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Hi

    I need some advice. We are leaving to Ponto do Ouro from Barberton this Saturday. I have never been to Mozambique, but have heard that both the Komatipoort and Kosi borders can be hectic around this time of year. So I am thinking of going through Swazi using one of the 2 routes below:

    Via Oshoek Borderpost:

    https://goo.gl/maps/iVrZ4KeVHCPWef3DA

    Or Bulembu Borderpost:

    https://goo.gl/maps/yVnFBXYdbpzi2oMy7

    Does anyone have recent experience with any of these 2 routes? Any advise will be appreciated. And what are the vehicle requirements for Swazi and Moz?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Oshoek is also quite a busy border post and obviously quite a bit longer route but with the benefit of tar all the way. I've never had any issues at Oshoek, just takes longer because there's alway a queue.

    Bulembu is my favourite border post and preferred entry point into eSwatini. The road from Barberton to the border is one of the most scenic drives in the country and fairly good tar. At the border we have nearly always been the only people there. Being quiet, they have more time to check your car's papers, etc. so make sure you have it all in order but with a friendly smile and good attitude I've never had any problems. They're just doing their job and are generally quite nice about it. Once you cross the border the 4Km from there into Bulembi is badly potholed tar and then becomes gravel to Piggs Peak, about 20Km. This road is used by a lot of forestry vehicles and the condition is never the same. Sometimes good, sometimes bad but with a high clearance vehicle it's not a problem and the views make up for the road when it's not good. Keep in mind Bulembu opens from 08:00 to 16:00.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Goba
    Age
    61
    Posts
    340

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Quote Originally Posted by Werner_LeR View Post
    Hi

    I need some advice. We are leaving to Ponto do Ouro from Barberton this Saturday. I have never been to Mozambique, but have heard that both the Komatipoort and Kosi borders can be hectic around this time of year. So I am thinking of going through Swazi using one of the 2 routes below:

    Via Oshoek Borderpost:

    https://goo.gl/maps/iVrZ4KeVHCPWef3DA

    Or Bulembu Borderpost:

    https://goo.gl/maps/yVnFBXYdbpzi2oMy7

    Does anyone have recent experience with any of these 2 routes? Any advise will be appreciated. And what are the vehicle requirements for Swazi and Moz?

    Thanks in advance.
    Hi Werner

    I have been through Oshoek On Sunday...Very nice and quiet...Road up to Manzini very good but from there to Siteki extremely frustrating..The road works and the "plat karretjies" stopping dead at every speed hump makes it a nightmare ...almost 2 hours on 70 km

    You need your "NATIS" on your name to exit Swaziland into Mozambique or a sworn affidavit letter from the bank or owner that you are allowed to use the vehicle in Swaziland and Mozambique

    Bulembo only operating from 08h00 (08h30 in Africa) but very nice. The road up to Piggs Peak was challenging the last time I used it.
    But once at Piggs Peak go towards Jeppies and then towards Namahaacha..(Check speed limits)
    Namahaacha to Boane is OK en just terrible once you turned towards Ponta new road
    (Turn about 300 m after crossing the Railway tracks in Boane) The pic is taken almost standing on the tracks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Requirements for car:

    Swaziland - registration document of the car. Or if still financed, a certified copy from the bank and a letter from bank authorising the vehicle to leave the country. Also a letter from your insurance stating the dates you're travelling and the countries you'll be visiting.

    A road tax is payable when entering Swaziland. It went up recently, I think it's now R100? If you're going to come back through Swaziland, tell them and they'll give you an extended permit so you only pay once.

    Mozambique -
    1) Registration docs and ZA sticker as above.
    2) At the border you will fill in a Temporary Import Permit with the car's details and listing whatever else you're taking into the country. Under the whatever else, I usually just generalise something like "camping equipment" and "electronic equipment". Never been asked about it, but I put it in just in case. The copy of this TIP needs to be kept with you and handed in again when you leave Mozambique.
    3) You will also need thrid party insurance. You can get it at the border, but it's saves time to get it before you leave home. Either at Outdoor Warehouse or online through DriveMoz. You'll need to take the registration docs and your passport if you go to Outdoor Warehouse.
    4) In the car you must have reflective vests (minimum of two) but strictly supposed to be one for each person in the car. I've not been asked to show this for the past few years, but rather be safe, the vests are not expensive.
    5) If towing, you'll need the yellow triangles on the front of the vehicle and the back of the trailer.

    Outdoor Warehouse have printed info sheets with all the necessary requirements, I hope I've covered everything.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Thanks for all the feedback. I have have most of the vehicle requirements. Yellow vests is not a problem. I also have a fire extinguisher just in case. I read that you need 2 triangles of a specific spec for Moz, but I only have 1, and it is apparently not correct.

    But besides that, would going through Swaziland be a better option than using the normal borderposts (Komatipoort, Kosi) this time of year?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Quote Originally Posted by Werner_LeR View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have have most of the vehicle requirements. Yellow vests is not a problem. I also have a fire extinguisher just in case. I read that you need 2 triangles of a specific spec for Moz, but I only have 1, and it is apparently not correct.

    But besides that, would going through Swaziland be a better option than using the normal borderposts (Komatipoort, Kosi) this time of year?
    Depends what your definition of "better" is. If you're in a hurry to get go Ponta as quickly as possible then Komatipoort will probably be the fastest. I don't think it wil be too busy till around the 16th. If you want your trip to be part of the holiday then Swaziland would be better and about the same distance.

    From the AA website - https://www.aa.co.za/vehicle-stickersRegulations are as follows:

    • Each side of your triangle must be 500mm long and 50mm wide, with a thickness of roughly 5mm.
    • The triangle must be uniformly covered in red reflective material.
    • The back of the triangle must either be uniformly white, or have a 5mm-wide white border.
    • The edge of the triangle must be yellow.
    • The reflective surfaces must be well-maintained.
    • The triangle must be visible from at least 100m in the presence of light.


    It is now compulsory for motorists to carry the reflective jackets when travelling to Mozambique. Your reflective vest must be made from polyester and it must be closable at the front and adjustable on all sides.
    The vest must be equipped with polyvinyl reflective strips, no less than 400mm wide, in yellow or green on the front, to the sides, and on the back of the vest. The vest must be worn when at the scene of a car accident, when repairing your vehicle on the side of the road and when reloading cargo that has fallen from your vehicle on to the road.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10

    Wink Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Quote Originally Posted by OffTheHamsterWheel View Post
    Depends what your definition of "better" is. If you're in a hurry to get go Ponta as quickly as possible then Komatipoort will probably be the fastest. I don't think it wil be too busy till around the 16th. If you want your trip to be part of the holiday then Swaziland would be better and about the same distance.

    From the AA website - https://www.aa.co.za/vehicle-stickersRegulations are as follows:


    • Each side of your triangle must be 500mm long and 50mm wide, with a thickness of roughly 5mm.
    • The triangle must be uniformly covered in red reflective material.
    • The back of the triangle must either be uniformly white, or have a 5mm-wide white border.
    • The edge of the triangle must be yellow.
    • The reflective surfaces must be well-maintained.
    • The triangle must be visible from at least 100m in the presence of light.


    It is now compulsory for motorists to carry the reflective jackets when travelling to Mozambique. Your reflective vest must be made from polyester and it must be closable at the front and adjustable on all sides.
    The vest must be equipped with polyvinyl reflective strips, no less than 400mm wide, in yellow or green on the front, to the sides, and on the back of the vest. The vest must be worn when at the scene of a car accident, when repairing your vehicle on the side of the road and when reloading cargo that has fallen from your vehicle on to the road.
    As long as we get there same day, at least before sunset. I don't want to drive in the dark. So not in that much of a hurry. And as a bonus, we would see a bit of Swazi as well. My aim is to get through border posts as quickly as possible, but the rest of the trip we can take it easy, but not too easy, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Werner_LeR; 2019/12/05 at 08:29 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Hi Werner

    Bulembo only operating from 08h00 (08h30 in Africa) but very nice. The road up to Piggs Peak was challenging the last time I used it.
    But once at Piggs Peak go towards Jeppies and then towards Namahaacha..(Check speed limits)
    Namahaacha to Boane is OK en just terrible once you turned towards Ponta new road
    (Turn about 300 m after crossing the Railway tracks in Boane) The pic is taken almost standing on the tracks
    This seems to be the best option. We are 50min away from Bulembo, so if we leave at 07:00 we should get there as the post opens. Does anyone have experience with the border post at Naamacha?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Quote Originally Posted by Werner_LeR View Post
    This seems to be the best option. We are 50min away from Bulembo, so if we leave at 07:00 we should get there as the post opens. Does anyone have experience with the border post at Naamacha?
    The drive up to Bulembu is beautiful at sunrise and there's the Geotrail info stops. Interesting to learn about the geology of the mountains, said to be the oldest on the planet. Don't rush it and enjoy the views. Namaacha is usually quiet, never had any hassles there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    42
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Thanks for all the help guys. We are all set and will travel via Bulembu, Namaacha to Moz.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ezulwini Eswatini
    Posts
    1,551

    Default Re: Barberton To Ponto do Ouro

    Quote Originally Posted by Werner_LeR View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. We are all set and will travel via Bulembu, Namaacha to Moz.
    With the recent heavy rain the Bulembe road is going to be a muddy mess with them logger trucks.

    No problem if you have a 4x4.

    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •