Another car plunges down cliff where Herolds Bay family lost their lives - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Another car plunges down cliff where Herolds Bay family lost their lives

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...vered-20200129

Hopefully the council does something soon...
    What do you want the coucil to do?
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Default Re: Another car plunges down cliff where Herolds Bay family lost their lives

I am not at al familiar with the road.

Could someone explain what makes this road so dangerous? We have loads of passes and roads with drop offs, but this one seems to attract a lot of accidents lately?

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post

Could someone explain what makes this road so dangerous? We have loads of passes and roads with drop offs, but this one seems to attract a lot of accidents lately?
    Not accidents, murder-suicides.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Vandag in Rapport. Die seun se verhaal soos vertel aan die mense wat hom langs die pad aangetref het.

Tragies.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

I have a question for people who was been there and know that road/parking/viewing area...

Why the danger? Why so many accidents/tragedies happening there? Is that road really so dangerous? Many people speculate about the causes...accidents, self-death etc. Either or, both are sad and tragic and my heart goes out to the victims' loved ones.

I ask this question because there's many places similar with huge drops like say Chappies etc. and you hardly hear of fatal accidents there or cars going over.
    2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT DC 4x4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by Swys14 View Post
    I have a question for people who was been there and know that road/parking/viewing area...

Why the danger? Why so many accidents/tragedies happening there? Is that road really so dangerous? Many people speculate about the causes...accidents, self-death etc. Either or, both are sad and tragic and my heart goes out to the victims' loved ones.

I ask this question because there's many places similar with huge drops like say Chappies etc. and you hardly hear of fatal accidents there or cars going over.
    No need to speculate, just read the news regarding each case. Murder-suicides.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Sad to hear the lad's explanation..
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Sad to hear the lad's explanation..
    For those without access to Rapport, what is the explanation pls?
    Bruce Hunter. 2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    For those without access to Rapport, what is the explanation pls?
    The boy said - My mom didn't want to live anymore, that is why she drove into the sea.

There have been accidental deaths there, 2 that I know of that were young people drinking and driving and then leaving the road at speed late night/early morning,. But the last 3 vehicles that went over there were all suicide, sadly two of the 3 were mothers taking kids with them..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brannas View Post
    The boy said - My mom didn't want to live anymore, that is why she drove into the sea.

There have been accidental deaths there, 2 that I know of that were young people drinking and driving and then leaving the road at speed late night/early morning,. But the last 3 vehicles that went over there were all suicide, sadly two of the 3 were mothers taking kids with them..
    I agree with Jens's deleted post. I get it that you can be so down to commit suicide. It must be a terribly dark place, and I can't condemn or judge their actions in their suicide. But to take loved ones on the same journey is not something I can comprehend.
    Mike Lauterbach

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post

The road is not unsafe.

It has a fairly large drop and that is why it gets used/abused
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WernerDL View Post
    I understand from the article that the council cannot do anything as the land on which this road is, is privately owned. At least they can make a fire under the owner, although it seems the owner is willing to do something - even out of his pocket.
    Why would a private land owner want the public all over his land, which no doubt brings with it littering, making fires, causing havoc and multiple suicides and other deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Why would a private land owner want the public all over his land, which no doubt brings with it littering, making fires, causing havoc and multiple suicides and other deaths?
    From local newspaper after previous incident

Road belongs to DTPW
    According to Jandré Bakker, head of communications at the Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works (DTPW), the road is under the jurisdiction of the DTPW as it was proclaimed a provincial road in 1958. The owner of the land therefore has no legal right to close it or make any changes to the road.

"This road provides access to areas of tourism and recreational value. The DTPW attended a meeting facilitated by the George Municipality to discuss options for improving safety on this road; alternatively closing it to the public. Those at the meeting were not in favour of closing the road," he said.

Residents vote against closure
    The landowner referred the paper to a member of the Herold's Bay Residents and Ratepayers Association, who told the George Herald that, during a meeting with members of provincial government, the municipality and environmental affairs on 27 January, the residents of Herold's Bay voted to keep the road open.

"We would like to keep it open and along with the owner, we are searching for solutions. As the road is a provincial road the owner bears no responsibility for the safety of the public using it. In the meantime three areas have been identified as hotspots and we are in the process of putting up barriers.

"A request to close the road until the work is completed was refused as the road is a public road.

"We are looking at various other factors for a long-term solution," he said.
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    From local newspaper after previous incident
    Interesting, how could you have a provincial road on private property, that's not something I recall hearing of before?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Interesting, how could you have a provincial road on private property, that's not something I recall hearing of before?
    If a road is built through private property is that portion not bought from you and you no longer own it. The same happens with power lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Swys14 View Post

Good question. I know this road quite well.

There are many places with cliffs and so on, particularly around Coffee bay, and there are a fair number of car wrecks between Gordons Bay and Hangklip. With the higher walls and barriers fewer than in the old days. I have seen a student roll his dad's Audi coming back from Hangklip hotel a few decades ago.

The Garden Route from Knysna to Mossel Bay has a very large population, that piece of road is quiet, nobody around, and now infamous.

I would say if one is in a state to contemplate going through with something like this, then you don't have to think too hard about where.

Van Stadens Bridge used to be used to some degree by jumpers despite the fact that there are thousands of buildings, bridges and high places that one can jump from.

Why did Van Stadens bridge get this macabre record?
    JP Botha
    Kleinbaai
    Gansbaai

Its my hometown.

Nothing wrong with the road. Its gravel with a cliff. Beautiful views, popular with fishermand and spearos. Great lookout.

As long as you dont drive like a moegoe there is no reason you wont be completely safe.

As for suicides, the people will just go elsewhere.

its very sad but its bot the roads fault.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kreefstert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    If a road is built through private property is that portion not bought from you and you no longer own it. The same happens with power lines.
    The only time they wouldn't buy it outright would be if it was a servitude but that doesn't seem to be the case here?

Another one today. So sad.Name:  IMG-20210220-WA0032.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  82.1 KB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Look, lets be very honest.

This is NOT an accident. Driving off that cliff is and never will be an accident.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast