Garmin Overlander- how to create routes by using POI on device itself?

Default Garmin Overlander- how to create routes by using POI on device itself?

For many years I done my trip and route planning on my GPS device (Nuvi500) only. You could select a POI as starting point and another POI as destination and it would calculate distance and time. I do not know if I am missing something but this can not be done on the Overlander device itself? It can calculate routes from your current position but not from a POI to another one. I phoned Navworld and they said I must use Explore map on a computer, do route planning and export it to my device. I am not good on computers and can not understand that this is not possible on the device itself? Am I missing something, please help?
    Ps 16:5

Default Re: Garmin Overlander- how to create routes by using POI on device itself?

Yes it seem it will start the route from where you are, then you can add multiple POIs. Then you can edit it.

Try do the planning on Basecamp and export it to the Overlander direct, cant remember if that worked or not.

Else create an Explore Account and import the route from Mapsource or Basecamp, a GPX file, convert it to a route in Explore map and save it. Or you can create a route in Explore and export it to the Overlander. Straight forward. That I have done some time back.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/04 at 10:11 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Default Re: Garmin Overlander- how to create routes by using POI on device itself?

Thanks Johan, by adding multiple POI I can get the information I need. This helps a lot. I shall look into the map on computer thing.

On the Overlander I miss also a Tracback routing function?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    On the Overlander I miss also a Tracback routing function?
    Yes seems that's not available. However it can do tracking. Not sure how to use that yet.

I haven't played a lot with the thing yet. Bought it after after the last trip, and just checked some functions , and put it away. Looks like I must start using it before the next trip.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Overlander_OM_EN-US.pdf
    Johan Kriel

Johan, thank you for that owners manual

If you go into Explore on the Overlander you can create routes there from any point it seems
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/06 at 06:40 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Over the weekend I looked into Explore and even there routing is always from your current position. You can create a route from Waypoint A to Waypoint B, but calculation is always from your current position but give 3 options- first go to point A, closest entry point to the route or directly to point B. By chosing to go first to the start of the route (point A), calculate and then scroll down on the turn off function, you get the information about the total trip, current position to point A, Point A to point B.