Sport or drive when towing





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Table View
    Age
    49
    Posts
    150
    Thanked: 41

    Default Sport or drive when towing

    Hi

    I have never pulled a caravan with my Amarok V6 before. Coming from a Wildtrak where the best option was towing in sport mode.

    Do I need to do likewise in Amarok, or just leave the gearbox to it's own devices. I'll be pulling a Bushlapa Boabab.

    Thanks

    2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1978

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    stick it in drive and forget about it.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,053
    Thanked: 265

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    I tow with a VW Transporter with DSG and tend to stick it in Sport mode. I believe the fact that it holds the gear longer in Sport makes it more suited to not let the engine labour or put undue strain on the box. I also like the fact that due to it being in a lower gear than normal it has some engine braking as well.
    I do find that when in Sport and towing that it never goes into 7th so might not be great for fuel consumption.

    CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    37
    Posts
    810
    Thanked: 666

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    I tow with a VW Transporter with DSG and tend to stick it in Sport mode. I believe the fact that it holds the gear longer in Sport makes it more suited to not let the engine labour or put undue strain on the box. I also like the fact that due to it being in a lower gear than normal it has some engine braking as well.
    I do find that when in Sport and towing that it never goes into 7th so might not be great for fuel consumption.

    CATS
    ^ This. Same principle as when towing with a manual box and you dont gear down on uphills because the "engine has enough power". If vehicles came with EGT warnings as standard nobody will do this.

    I would rather pay for fuel than a new gearbox / engine / head.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    586
    Thanked: 109

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    The Amarok has a ZF box, developed from the 6HP26 that is used across a whole range of vehicles, derivatives are also used in the Rangers btw.

    Not sure if the management system is the same as on the Disco 3 but generally the software is by ZF, the box's manufacturer so it stands to reason that its pretty much the same. Now when I started towing with the D3, a lot of guys in the UK were remarking that "sport is the new economy" and I tended to use sport a lot, especially for long uphills and overtaking.

    Edit, yes it is: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...n-Auto-Gearbox


    September 2018 I was towing back from Andante Game Farm one Sunday afternoon, outside was around 35 deg. Up the long stretch before Kranskop I found a gap in traffic to overtake a convoy of Copper tucks from Zambia and floored it in Sport. This was after driving slowly behind the convoy for a few kilos.

    By the time I reached the top of the hill, I got a transmission overheat, drive slow warning and at home fount that the box had expelled oil out the breather. Same thing happened in January back from Kimberley.

    Then only did I bother to read the Service Manual (Not Owners Manual) for the D3. In there was a paragraph that stated that the box has a mode to restrict performance when it overheats. BUT this program is disabled in Sport.

    This definitely contributed to me visiting ZF for a rebuild last month. so take heed of the link above
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    57
    Posts
    893
    Thanked: 556

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Why vehicle manufactures call it Drive/Eco etc and Sport mode I cannot understand.

    It should be simply called Cruise and Power modes
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    37
    Posts
    810
    Thanked: 666

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    The Amarok has a ZF box, developed from the 6HP26 that is used across a whole range of vehicles, derivatives are also used in the Rangers btw.

    Not sure if the management system is the same as on the Disco 3 but generally the software is by ZF, the box's manufacturer so it stands to reason that its pretty much the same. Now when I started towing with the D3, a lot of guys in the UK were remarking that "sport is the new economy" and I tended to use sport a lot, especially for long uphills and overtaking.

    Edit, yes it is: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...n-Auto-Gearbox


    September 2018 I was towing back from Andante Game Farm one Sunday afternoon, outside was around 35 deg. Up the long stretch before Kranskop I found a gap in traffic to overtake a convoy of Copper tucks from Zambia and floored it in Sport. This was after driving slowly behind the convoy for a few kilos.

    By the time I reached the top of the hill, I got a transmission overheat, drive slow warning and at home fount that the box had expelled oil out the breather. Same thing happened in January back from Kimberley.

    Then only did I bother to read the Service Manual (Not Owners Manual) for the D3. In there was a paragraph that stated that the box has a mode to restrict performance when it overheats. BUT this program is disabled in Sport.

    This definitely contributed to me visiting ZF for a rebuild last month. so take heed of the link above
    interresting. I guess one should always read the manual, who would have figured?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,710
    Thanked: 3642

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Why vehicle manufactures call it Drive/Eco etc and Sport mode I cannot understand.

    It should be simply called Cruise and Power modes
    Well, VW doesn't call it Sport. The S is for Special

    Just stick it in D and off you go. On the Touareg (different box I know) I use S in town, but the moment I hit the highway, i go to D and set the cruise control. No issue.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,922
    Thanked: 935

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Speak to the guys at ZF that rebuild the boxes and ask their opinion. They should have a pretty good idea. Nico is occasionally on this forum, so you could DM him.

    I think it also depends on what you are towing. I have been towing a rubber duck around that is around 750kgs, but have now just bought a bigger boat. I was down in Dbn last weekend doing the COF of both boats, and after hauling the new boat around, I swapped it to do the RIB, and I almost feel like the duck is not really towing. I can feel the duck for sure, but the new boat is a 4th and 5th gear affair on freeways, (mine is manual) and it a completely different business from towing a little trailer.

    I suspect my rig is on the wrong side of 2 tons, so if you are in that region, it would be very different from towing a venter or 750kgs trailer. I have always used my instantaneous fuel consumption as a guide. I know if 6th I max at around 16l/100km so when it gets to around 14, I would change down to 5th. In 5th it maxes out at around 19l/100km so I usually drop to 4th at around 16 etc. Not sure if this is good or bad practice, but so far the old girl is still going so touch wood, cant do too much harm.

    I know in the old days it was considered derigeur to install additional transmission coolers on autos that were used for towing. I am not sure if this is still a thing as with the lock up clutches in most gears these days, they probably don'y generate as much heat as they used to when the torque convertor was always slipping?

    I would say that as a general rule, just take it easy and as the load gets heavier, take it easier still. Towing my new boat down to Dbn last week, I was pretty much driving like a truck, and not overtaking too often. Using the gears down the long passes and just touching the brakes occasionally. Although the brakes work well enough, I think you need to change your driving style pretty radically when you are a +4ton train that takes a lot of stopping. Here the biggest issue with the v6 may be the ease with which it will pull those large loads.

    Good luck either way and enjoy the vehicle.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    otjiwarongo
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanked: 141

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    Hi

    I have never pulled a caravan with my Amarok V6 before. Coming from a Wildtrak where the best option was towing in sport mode.

    Do I need to do likewise in Amarok, or just leave the gearbox to it's own devices. I'll be pulling a Bushlapa Boabab.

    Thanks

    I towed in D on my 2.0.auto and it was fine. I only used S when it is a really steep uphill. I also towed in s when i towed off road in sand.

    The V6 have more than enough power so ill tow in D, that box is a gem and way better than your other brand autos. Dont listen to people that dont have experience of the brand.


    2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    586
    Thanked: 109

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Hein are you referring to experience of the brand VW or ZF?
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    PTA
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    I tow in D and only use Sport mode if I need to overtake quickly. The extra power and quicker response/longer gear holds is only beneficial to me with overtaking scenarios. If there is a big hill I just reduce speed and take it easy.

    Fuel disappears much more quickly in Sport mode

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    33
    Posts
    735
    Thanked: 825

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    So, here are my thoughts, mind you, I have no experience with the Amarok.

    Our platkar is a BMW 530D MSport. It has normal, eco, sport, sport plus modes. Keep in mind, this car is a SPORTS SALOON, in other words, IMO, it has been optimized to be sporty. So, in town I generally drive the vehicle in Sport mode, for the quicker throttle response. On long roads, I go down to Drive, and sometimes Eco. When I want to overtake, I do so in Sport again. Now, I will reiterate. The vehicle is classified as as SPORT SALOON, and should therefore be fine when driven like a sport saloon.

    My car is a Freelander 2. It doesn't have a Sport mode as such, but you can put the gearbox into tiptronic or whatever, which is basically a bit more sporty. I do not drive the vehicle like this, I drive in normal D and use the modes for when you need to. IE, when sand driving, it tells you to put it into "Sport" tiptronic mode. This vehicle is not a sports car, so why would I drive it in Sport mode, which it is not optimized for, all the time?

    Now, you have a Amarok. It is a double cab bakkie, so definitely not a sports car. Would I drive it in sport mode all the time whilst towing a caravan? No, use the mode when you need it. Perhaps if you need to overtake or go up a steep hill, though what does the owners manual say the "Sport" mode is for? Read at what gets enabled, and disabled when putting it into sport mode.

    Those are my thoughts.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    44
    Posts
    782
    Thanked: 172

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    stick it in drive and forget about it.
    THIS!

    The gearbox automatically senses the extra load (could be the tow box too) and changes it's shifting pattern... When I tow with my 2l, the gears are held longer, and it downshifts quicker as soon as the van is hooked up. This is one of the best things about the Amarok... plug in and forget
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanked: 746

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Or just gear down, as the need arises. That is what that lever is there for - or in the OP's case, those paddles (behind the steering wheel )



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    otjiwarongo
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanked: 141

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    Hein are you referring to experience of the brand VW or ZF?
    Well obvious the auto box in the Amarok, i know the zf is used in a wide variety of brands, what i also like is the zf box in the amarok if u tow it sense u have a heavy load and it down shifts automatically to reduce speed on very steep hills.

    i cant speak of other brands and there auto boxes even if it is a zf, as i do think they are setup differently for the specific use. i am now mechanic so can be wrong


    2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Harrismith
    Age
    45
    Posts
    196
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    S is for Special mode in the Amarok and not Sport mode. The special mode adapts faster to circumstances

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,924
    Thanked: 746

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewies!! View Post
    S is for Special mode in the Amarok and not Sport mode. The special mode adapts faster to circumstances
    Einste!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,710
    Thanked: 3642

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Well, VW doesn't call it Sport. The S is for Special

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewies!! View Post
    S is for Special mode in the Amarok and not Sport mode. The special mode adapts faster to circumstances
    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Einste!

    Ek is nie net n mooi gesiggie nie
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Table View
    Age
    49
    Posts
    150
    Thanked: 41

    Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

    Thanks fella's. Your comments are appreciated.No I haven't read the manual....I'll give it a go when I'm back home.

    2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •