Sport or drive when towing - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Sport or drive when towing

Casper, I have now done 25k with my v6 of which about 20k was towing my Xplorer. I stick it D and forget about it. That Amarok does not even know about the Xplorer. Fuel consumption 13,5 l/100km. But wind as any caravaner would know is a much bigger factor with any caravan than towing in D or S.
    The only time I change out of D is to M when negotiating mountain passes like the Outeniqua pass, purely for better control.

The discussion about towing in S when you drive a suitably powered vehicle is predominantly a braaivleisvuur discussion.

Enjoy your Amarok driving it which ever way tickles your fancy. The 'Rok" can handle it.

2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion A/T
    2019 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Highline
    2015 Jurgens Xplorer

I have just travelled from dbn up to Hillcrest with my new boat on the back. Completely unrelated to your v6 auto as mine is the 90kw manual.

Anyone who knows this road will know there are serious hills the whole way from dbn to Hillcrest with fields hill probably the most severe.

With 150ltrs of fuel, 30ltrs of water and several rods reels etc, I pretty sure I am
    Well north of 2toms now and I was amazed how the little trokkie pulled up the hill, without excessive effort.

I am sure the v6 would despatch the same conditions with effortless disdain so I am sure you will be fine which ever mode you decide to tow in.

Interesting topic, and hope you guys do not mind if I change this (slightly)

I tow a Sprite SC Offroad - 1400 kg - with a Touareg V6TDi .... my very first auto vehicle so I am still learning! On a very long downhill during our last flower tour in the West Coast I found the vehicle to continuously increase speed with the Caravan behind (no foot on the accelerator) resulting in me using brakes extensively. Speeds were not high (20 - 30 km/h), thus not activating the caravan brakes too much, but too high for us to do sightseeing, and furthermore I did not want to overheat the brakes. I therefore put the auto 'box in Manual 2nd or 1st for short periods, to bring the speed back into check. Acceptable or not?
    1984 SJ 410 ("Ben Laden" ) sold
    2013 Jimny ("Seuntjie") Wizerd rock sliders and underwear, Steering damper
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 ("Moeder") DASTEK chip (Sold)
    2010 Audi S3 ("Silvo")
    2013 VW Touareg V6 TDi ("Geit")
    2 bicycles ("Blitz" and "Monstrosity")
    2014 SYM 300i GTS Scooter ("Babatjie")

We have a VW with a DSG gearbox. The owners manual says nothing about increased power when in "S" mode. All it says is that it will change to the next gear at higher revs.

My thinking is that torque is key when towing, and higher revs does not increase torque. Why would one then want to shift to a mode taking the revs out of the torque band? That does not make sense to me.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Poen,
    Consider wheel torque....
    The higher the gear, the lower the actual torque going to the wheels to push the car forward. If there is a 20% ratio difference between two consecutive gears, then the second you change up you reduce torque to the wheels by 20%.
    Also remember actual work an engine can do is expressed as kilowatts and kW is torque x revs x a constant. That is why on most modern diesel engines with a flat torque curve from say 1800 to 3000 rpm, the kW curve keeps climbing until the torque curve takes a dive and then the increase in revs isn't enough to keep the kW curve climbing.
    In most cars you will thus have much more power on the wheels at say 3000rpm in 4th than at 2000rpm in 5th. The 3000rpm option is obviously more noisy and most probably more thirsty. We are thus happy to cruise in the higher gear, but there is better performance possible in the next gear down.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2019/12/09 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Wassermann View Post
    Interesting topic, and hope you guys do not mind if I change this (slightly)

I tow a Sprite SC Offroad - 1400 kg - with a Touareg V6TDi .... my very first auto vehicle so I am still learning! On a very long downhill during our last flower tour in the West Coast I found the vehicle to continuously increase speed with the Caravan behind (no foot on the accelerator) resulting in me using brakes extensively. Speeds were not high (20 - 30 km/h), thus not activating the caravan brakes too much, but too high for us to do sightseeing, and furthermore I did not want to overheat the brakes. I therefore put the auto 'box in Manual 2nd or 1st for short periods, to bring the speed back into check. Acceptable or not?

On my Auto Amarok there is also about no engine braking, so I will often put the box in manual on down-hill passes while towing my caravan,
    to save the brakes.
    Herman Meyer.

AG0017 ORRA AG38
    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto ,
    2015-02-03: Bush Lapa Miskewer 394.

Quote Originally Posted by hermanm10 View Post
    On my Auto Amarok there is also about no engine braking, so I will often put the box in manual on down-hill passes while towing my caravan,
    to save the brakes.
    My Amarok downshifts when going downhill, but only in certain scenarios... I think it's got something to do with how hard I brake, and then release... but it does do it, so you can get some engine braking assistance
    Last edited by BobMabena; 2019/12/09 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    My Amarok downshifts when going downhill, but only in certain scenarios... I think it's got something to do with how hard I brake, and then release... but it does do it, so you can get some engine braking assistance
    yes my auto did it as well, especially when its very steep, pass between citrusdal and piketberg and the one between Nieuwoudtville and Van Rhynsdorp, it shifted down from 8th to 3rd on its own in D

2017 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2