97 Cruiser GX 80 Diesel vs 98 Nissan Patrol GL 4500 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 97 Cruiser GX 80 Diesel vs 98 Nissan Patrol GL 4500

Hi Petri,
    Very interesting question. The answer I think will come to personal preference. In my experience I have always experienced that the Nissan is the nicer vehicle than the Toyota counterpart. Nicer to drive, nicer or more comfortable interior and accommodation than the equivalent Toyota. Going back to old Corolla vs Sentra, Cressida vs Skyline, Cruiser vs Patrol and even Hilux vs Hardbody and later vs Navara. Having said this I also will tell you that I was sorry about every Toyota I have sold. Very much the reason why I hang on to my 2006Toyota Fortuner. The Toyotas just have the nack to seldom disappoint over the ownership journey. In your case the fuel consumption would be better on the Toyota but the Patrol is so nice. Thanks for the topic of discussion. Regards.
    Jan Lategan

'06 Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    '07 Mercedes C180
    '15 Nissan Navara 2.5 XE 2x4

Petri, that merlot 80 is a beautiful, original specimen, going by the photo you posted. Nothing better than seeing original toyota 80 series rims on an 80, or likewise with the 5 stud 105.

What i'd like to know from you is how you find the suspensions in each. Yes, they are very similar , both front and rear, but there are subtle differences. I imagine the front end of the 80 to be more compliant than the GU , but i imagine the rear end of the GU to be more compliant than the 80. Also, differemnces in sway bar strengths and location points/mechanisms etc all play a part.

Have you found either to be ahead of its counterpart? or is it so similar you would hardly notice?

I have 2 Patrols, a GU 4.2 Bakkie and a GU 4.2TD wagon,.. so it obvious than i like my Patrols, however, i remain a MASSIVE cruiser fanatic, so my questions are not loaded, im genuinely interested.

Whoever buys that 80 series 1HZ will be one of the lucky ones who own one, which is how i feel about patrols . as well i guess. Mechanical masterpieces, the both of them.

For the record: I prefer the manual hubs of the 80. Although many patrols came standard with manual (my Pickup being one of them),numerous units were fitted with auto lock hubs (like that of some cruiser 70 series models over the years), which i dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Kellermann View Post

For the record: I prefer the manual hubs of the 80. Although many patrols came standard with manual (my Pickup being one of them),numerous units were fitted with auto lock hubs (like that of some cruiser 70 series models over the years), which i dislike.
    The 70 Series Cruiser are not to be compared with the Patrols. Toyota equivalents for the Patrols were the 80, 100 and 200 series Y60, Y61 and Y62. The Patrol Bakkie is SUV based while the Troopy and 76 are bakkie based. We can go on till the next millennium pointing out what is better on a Patrol vs Cruiser. Fact is people boosting about Patrol drive trains should have a look at the facts. In my opinion the H151 Cruiser gearbox with its 5th gear on the main shaft and its gear driven transfer case is way stronger than any Patrol gearbox and the chain driven Patrol transfer case.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t=#post4254369

Patrols are good value for money. Few years ago I were about to buy a Patrol. Also had a good look at an 80 Series EFI with a new engine. Patrols and 80 Series Cruisers you can add 100 Series are going for 20 years plus.
    Many tiny things had make me go the Cruiser way although 70 Series and not comparable with the Y Series Patrols.

I have owned an 1976 FJ 45 Cruiser and a 1976 G60 Patrol bakkie. By the end of the 90`s no spares for the G60 were available in SA. You can still buy genuine Toyota spares for the FJ 45. The G60 Patrol become non existent while FJ 45`s still fetch record prices.

So my concern what will the situation be for Patrols 5 years down the line with Nissan providing spares. I have a really good look at Patrols considering buying one three years ago.

Bakkie wise looking at the 70 Series which I do not see as a direct competitor for the Patrol bakkie Nissan cannot match the 70 Series Cruiser with variety of engines and body shapes. The V8 diesel Cruiser is off-road king as a workhorse at this stage.
    Yes you can modify the TD4.2T to deliver serious power but being an indirect injection engine EGT needed to be closely monitored.

Patrols are great good value for money. Cruiser and I am talking 80 and 100 series will always have the edge on secondhand value but being 20 years plus old good examples are getting scarce.

If only Nissan had the Patrol bakkie available with proper engines like a 4.8 Petrol. Jy vang nie Gemsbokke met diesels nie
    Last edited by grips; 2019/12/04 at 10:49 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Just some real life info again.

Radiator on Patrol is R 9457, Thermostat R 247 = R 9704. I ordered those parts and got everything the next day at the Agents.

Radiator on 97 80 GX is R 11221, Thermostat is R 433 = R 11 654, they can have it in 4 days.

Just for comparison.

Yes and I know its Diesel vs Petrol.
    Petri ek weet van `n paar Patrol radiators wat op hoë kilos gegaan het. Miskien is ek oningelig maar ek weet van geen 80 Series radiator wat gegroet het nie.

Ek het 3 vriende met 80 seriese. Al 3 sin het.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek het 3 vriende met 80 seriese. Al 3 sin het.
    OK! Nou gou Land Cruiser club gesoek kon nie een kry. Jou vriende is ongelukkig.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/12/04 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    The 70 Series Cruiser are not to be compared with the Patrols. Toyota equivalents for the Patrols were the 80, 100 and 200 series Y60, Y61 and Y62. The Patrol Bakkie is SUV based while the Troopy and 76 are bakkie based. We can go on till the next millennium pointing out what is better on a Patrol vs Cruiser. Fact is people boosting about Patrol drive trains should have a look at the facts. In my opinion the H151 Cruiser gearbox with its 5th gear on the main shaft and its gear driven transfer case is way stronger than any Patrol gearbox and the chain driven Patrol transfer case.
    I wasn't comparing the 70 series to a patrol, i was merely stating that certain patrol models were released with auto-lock hubs, similar to that of certain 70 series variants, and indicated my dislike of the auto-hubs. i am in favour of manual locking hubs, hence my comment in favour of the 80 series hubs in question.

Further to this, if we talking rear diff ring sizes, the H260 patrol rear gear is bigger than any toyota 60 rear, at 10,5". But even looking at the smaller H233, diff strength is not just about size, its about configuration, hypoid, bevel, reverse cut /not revers cut etc etc, and nissan has that very well proven.

Spares was a thing to consider years ago, in the 80's and 90's, when one manufacturer held massive inventory and the other not, but those days are over. Toyota carries pathetic inventory these days, as well as nissan, for cruiser and or patrol, sadly its economics that ended that era.

Getting back on topic though, i prefer the full floater rear axle on the 80 to the patrol semi floater in the GU wagon. of course, the GU pickup,different story. however, in 15 years of patrol literature i have never seen anyone in distress over the semi floater ,so i guess it just my personal choice.

Petri, another question from my side, is how does each of them feel regarding steering and road feel / steering wheel feel?.. Considering the age of each.

OK! Nou gou Land Cruiser club gesoek kon nie een kry. Jou vriende is ongelukkig.
    Daai plastiek top op die 80 series se koeler kom los op n staduim, maar na genoeg kilos. Myne moes ek laat regmaak by +-400k km.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/04 at 11:14 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Hulle is egter almal bitter gelukkig met hul 80’s. Ek twyfel of n radiator wat erens in leeftyd vervang moet word, n voertuig maak of breek. Ek dink die een het n nuwe radiator van n plek soos silverton of iets gekry onder R1800.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

I wasn't comparing the 70 series to a patrol, i was merely stating that certain patrol models were released with auto-lock hubs, similar to that of certain 70 series variants, and indicated my dislike of the auto-hubs. i am in favour of manual locking hubs, hence my comment in favour of the 80 series hubs in question.

Further to this, if we talking rear diff ring sizes, the H260 patrol rear gear is bigger than any toyota 60 rear, at 10,5". But even looking at the smaller H233, diff strength is not just about size, its about configuration, hypoid, bevel, reverse cut /not revers cut etc etc, and nissan has that very well proven.

Spares was a thing to consider years ago, in the 80's and 90's, when one manufacturer held massive inventory and the other not, but those days are over. Toyota carries pathetic inventory these days, as well as nissan, for cruiser and or patrol, sadly its economics that ended that era.

Getting back on topic though, i prefer the full floater rear axle on the 80 to the patrol semi floater in the GU wagon. of course, the GU pickup,different story. however, in 15 years of patrol literature i have never seen anyone in distress over the semi floater ,so i guess it just my personal choice.

Petri, another question from my side, is how does each of them feel regarding steering and road feel / steering wheel feel?.. Considering the age of each.
    Yes I do agree with auto hubs vs manual, I also prefer manual locking hubs.

Only some of the station wagons like the 4.8 had the H260. H260 to be find in Patrol Bakkies. Can carry very heavy loads but is not much stronger than the H233 as they share the same pinions.
    There are two things on Cruisers I fail to understand. First is the choice of the R151 gearbox behind the 4.2 1HZ engine and the move from the 9.5inch front diff in the 60 Series to the 8 inch high pinion reverse cut find in most Cruisers.

But yes let us stick to Petri`s thread.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/12/05 at 05:30 AM.

The odd thing about Nissan world wide is that they have not always stuck to a parts-formula per model.
    Same models often sporting different mechanical components not always specific to a year.
    Almost as if they just used whatever they had on the shelf at the factory.

With zero spec changes noted by Nissan or bulletin releases regarding the component changes, its very strange.
    As basic examples (amongst many others), some 1st gear ratios on the same model and same year are different, various sway bars thicknesses and different tie rod ends, not consistant with a model/size/weight, and yes, even the diffs, although the H233 was used in most Patrol Wagon platforms, with the H260 mostly used in the TB48 GL Manual, and the Pickup, it was also found in some TB45 models, some TD42T, and some Old Spec ZD30, but not all of them, a vast minority. Even some of the diff ratios across same vehicles have shown differences, some ZD30 issued with 4.1 whereas most ran 4.3, and TD42T pickups running 3.9 and 4.1., usually these would be depenant on manual vs auto but they've both been found in manuals... It's a bizarre phenomenon! Annoying.

Grips i agree completely with what you said about the R151 and the change to smaller diffs on the 70 1HZ... WHY!!! it would have been so easy for them to keep the H151 platform across both diesel and petrol and keep that 60 series front and rear, a winning combo. Cant be purely economics, as they had already tooled up for the H151. unless they saw the economics in sharing platforms down the line with the hilux,? i'll never understand it.

The odd thing about Nissan world wide is that they have not always stuck to a parts-formula per model.
    Same models often sporting different mechanical components not always specific to a year.
    Almost as if they just used whatever they had on the shelf at the factory.

With zero spec changes noted by Nissan or bulletin releases regarding the component changes, its very strange.
    As basic examples (amongst many others), some 1st gear ratios on the same model and same year are different, various sway bars thicknesses and different tie rod ends, not consistant with a model/size/weight, and yes, even the diffs, although the H233 was used in most Patrol Wagon platforms, with the H260 mostly used in the TB48 GL Manual, and the Pickup, it was also found in some TB45 models, some TD42T, and some Old Spec ZD30, but not all of them, a vast minority. Even some of the diff ratios across same vehicles have shown differences, some ZD30 issued with 4.1 whereas most ran 4.3, and TD42T pickups running 3.9 and 4.1., usually these would be depenant on manual vs auto but they've both been found in manuals... It's a bizarre phenomenon! Annoying.

Grips i agree completely with what you said about the R151 and the change to smaller diffs on the 70 1HZ... WHY!!! it would have been so easy for them to keep the H151 platform across both diesel and petrol and keep that 60 series front and rear, a winning combo. Cant be purely economics, as they had already tooled up for the H151. unless they saw the economics in sharing platforms down the line with the hilux,? i'll never understand it.
    Very interesting post.

My 80 series EFI blew its radiator at 200000km, but I won't call it a weak point. It's the teeth of time.
    As for rear axles, all 80 series GX models, petrol and diesel sold in SA were fitted with semi floater axles, so no different to the Patrol. The grey import GXL and VX models had full floaters.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    …......OR you can buy this at R 50 000 more :...………..https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...20910216437109.
    I'm considering one of these as a daily, about 35000km per year for 3 years. Doable or stupid?Are the services every 10/15 000km on these? And what are service prices like? Tyre life on BF's?
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS D/C 4x2
    2014 Kia Koup T-GDi

EX: 2007 Lexus IS250SE,1993 Ford Sapphire 5.0 V8,2007 Hilux 3.0 D-4D D/C,2001 Hilux 2.7 Raider D/C

To be honest, you can't blame the manufacture (make) of the vehicle for radiator problems 200k or 300k km down the road, that is mostly due to the lack of flushing out the system. The radiators mostly "blow up" because it is probably half blocked up due to sediment (mostly from the tap water) in the radiator. If cleared out and properly flushed out, I doubt if any of these "blow ups" would have occurred.

But even that is only half of the story. The big issue these days why that happens is due to these moden aluminium radiators and their plastic tanks. These just cannot be stripped properly to be really cleaned out effectively. Once you take the plastic tank of the aluminium, due to the heat the plastic has endured over the years, the plastic "folds closed" and does not fit back on the core. If you try and pry it wider, it cracks. Even heating does not work, you can heat it, stretch it, fit a new seal and crimp it all back together and refit it, but it will not last a week when the plastic tank "closes" again and you end up with a leak.

Up and till about 3 or 5 years ago, you could buy new plastic tanks and fit new tanks on the core, but no more. Silvertons tell me now all you can do is buy a complete new radiator.

Old copper tanks could be removed and all tubes could be spiked open from top to bottom, and small leaks caused by this were soldered closed and the tanks resoldered to the core. It was as good as fitting a new radiator.

My Terrano cracked a plastic top tank and at the time I opted to have a new copper radiator made up from scratch. I based my decision on the fact I mostly travelled into Africa with the vehicle, and at least I would be able to have the radiator fixed in any small town by someone soldering it up for me. That radiator I had serviced twice after that and the sediment taken out every time was startling.

The radiator service company I used was in Ophirton in Jhb and these two younger guys knew their oates. They worked mainly on big mining machine radiators, but also worked on truck and car cooling systems. They told me that apart from the correct amount and concentration of antifreeze, one should use distilled water, rather than tap water in radiators, the only effective way to slow down this sediment build up in radiators. Unfortunately, the last time I went there, the place was closed and none of the places around their place could tell me where they went or what happened to their business.

(Maybe they were robbed one time to often and they packed up the business, as I did one time hear them talking of emigrating)
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/12/05 at 09:34 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    I'm considering one of these as a daily, about 35000km per year for 3 years. Doable or stupid?Are the services every 10/15 000km on these? And what are service prices like? Tyre life on BF's?
    I am now on my 3rd Patrol, and to use it as a daily driver is not ideal in cities. A solid axle vehicle generally does not make the best daily driver, they are heavy, is a BIG vehicle for traffic conditions and too large for most parking situations.

And fuel consumption in city traffic could possibly run to 25 to 30lt per 100km!!! (on the 4.2, 4.5 and 4.8). The 3.0 diesel will be a bit lighter, maybe around 18 to 20lt per 100km.

If you lived in a small town things would be different.

Service intervals are 15,000km as per Nissan's recommendations. Nissan service and spares are expensive, but many independents can realistically look after it well enough and aftermarket pirate service spares are generally freely available, making their servicing cost in line with other 4x4s. Tyre life is around 70 to 80k km, depending of your preferred level / type / terrain of use.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/12/05 at 09:57 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    All 105’s sold in SA had front and rear lockers then the ones I know of must have been bought outside the borders and imprted, and luckily here in Nam we have quite a range of imports available, so quite possible.
    And I think you are confusing the 4.5 efi in the 80 with the one in the 105 nope, there were two variants available destined for different markets, but as mentioned the high power output unit is deemed quite rare in africa and basically unknown
    Last edited by AboutAfrica; 2019/12/06 at 09:51 PM.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Well Guys, I havenet had this car long...….https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...wil-koop/page2

But my really really honest opinion??

Patrol 4500i (97/8 model GU) vs Cruiser 80 4,5 Carb?? Same condition, mileage, etc etc?? The Nissan - by quite a long shot.

Patrol 4200 GQ (93/4/5/6 model) vs 80 Carb?? I'm biased here, still the GQ.

Patrol 4800 GRX (05/06/07) vs Cruiser 4500i EFI 105?? …...….Lets just say I wont pay ONE Cent more for the 105.

Just a comparison...….....looking at 2 Cars now:

1) 2006 LC 105 EFI, car is MINT, 1 owner, 168000km......…......…...…...R 290 000 lowest.

2) 2005 Patrol 4800 GRX, 1 owner, MINT, 156000km...………………...……..R 187 000 lowest.

R 100 000 more for a similar sized car but with MUCH less features??

From my side - No Way. I dont see a single reason why.

The GRX is actually comparable to the VX 100 V8 Petrol...…...….
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Petri, true, the Land Cruisers you pay a lot more, but on the Flip side, when you sell you also get a lot more...
    The Patrolls are excellent value for money in my opinion, you get a lot of car for the price, and obviously if you are in the Market for one, you want to pay less, if you pay 100k less then surely you can take 100k less than the equivalent cruiser when you sell as well...
    One advantage with the cruisers in SA is available accessories, you get a lot more extras already made, simply due to the number of vehicles
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    Petri, true, the Land Cruisers you pay a lot more, but on the Flip side, when you sell you also get a lot more...
    The Patrolls are excellent value for money in my opinion, you get a lot of car for the price, and obviously if you are in the Market for one, you want to pay less, if you pay 100k less then surely you can take 100k less than the equivalent cruiser when you sell as well...
    One advantage with the cruisers in SA is available accessories, you get a lot more extras already made, simply due to the number of vehicles
    Very true CD, but the "basics" like roofracks, ladder, drawers, suspansion are readily available on the Trol.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast