How to organise/classify a record collection

Default How to organise/classify a record collection

Swambo and I have just managed to bring about 100 vinyl records weighing nearly 30kgs from SA to Belgium, my prized collection that's been in storage for over 10 years, a collection thats taken me the better part of 25 years to curate. A big thumbs up to Ethiopian Airlines for their very generous luggage allowance of 51kg per frequent flier club member. We had lots of other collectibles in our luggage too. It was fun hiking this lot on and off trains and then up to our flat once we got back to Belgium.

This record collection is in addition to the other 100 odd albums we've already collected in Europe, and it's still growing.

Thing is I have mentioned vague numbers as I don't actually know exactly how many and what it is I have. I've ended up buying a few doubles because of this. So here's my question: How would you / do you classify your record collection? Would you put CCR and John Fogerty, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks, Neil Young and Crosby Stills & Nash together, or would you put it all in alphabetical order? Or how about Rock A to Z, Pop A to Z, Reggae A to Z etc?

What I am busy doing right now is putting it all into one spreadsheet in alphabetical order which I can then consult on my phone when we are at a market/shop and I see an album I like. This is also useful if someone is looking for a particular album I don't really want to listen to anymore, at least I can tell you if I have it or not.

So, show us your collection, and tell us how you organise it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8516.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	549733
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Default Re: How to organise/classify a record collection

I have about 1100 LPs and nearly 900 CDs and the only way I keep track is by using Music Collector. This is on my desk top & laptop PCs as well as my cellphone, the latter being very useful when fumbling through music sales. Take a peek at their website:

https://www.collectorz.com/music/music-collector

I bought this app manyyears ago because I got fed up with buying doubles, triplicates of albums that I already had

I also use Movie Collector from the Collectorz website as well, this lists the DVDs that I have. Bought for the same reason as above.

https://www.collectorz.com/movie/movie-collector

Give it a try, there is a free version but only limited to 25 albums if I remember correctly bt at least you will see if it is worth your while. Works for me!

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    I have about 1100 LPs and nearly 900 CDs and the only way I keep track is by using Music Collector. This is on my desk top & laptop PCs as well as my cellphone, the latter being very useful when fumbling through music sales. Take a peek at their website:

https://www.collectorz.com/music/music-collector

I bought this app manyyears ago because I got fed up with buying doubles, triplicates of albums that I already had

I also use Movie Collector from the Collectorz website as well, this lists the DVDs that I have. Bought for the same reason as above.

https://www.collectorz.com/movie/movie-collector

Give it a try, there is a free version but only limited to 25 albums if I remember correctly bt at least you will see if it is worth your while. Works for me!

-F_D
    Thanks for that, I took a peek. It does look interesting, and I really don't mind buying software, once off. But they want Ä29-95, almost R500, per year. I suppose though that would be useful if you have 1000's of LP's, CD's etc. Unless the yearly fee is for some kind of support and you can keep the full software even if you unsubscribe.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Must agree that I am also dead against an annual fee for any software. I bought Music Collector, Movie Collector & MP3 Collector many years ago for a once-off fee, which they still honour. The first two are very easy to work with, you simply enter (or scan) the bar code in and it completes the entry for you. The collection is saved on your desktop but the apps are available for cellphone viewing as well and you can run through the list when purchasing new DVDs or CDs.

There was another one but I cannot recall the name of it now, I won a year's subscription but never really used it so I guess I deleted it, can't find anything on it now.

Your last hope is probably making an Excel spreadsheet listing the CDs & records, will be better than nothing.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

I found a free album organiser on the 'net, don't know how good it is but it certainly looks fairly comprehensive, perhaps give it a try and report back?

http://www.gsoft4u.com/

Just some of the many features stated:

• The program creates the collection's database in a Microsoft Access format, so if you want later, you can use it, without the help of the program.
    • The user can create as many as different collections wants.
    • Accepts all kinds of musical media (cd, lp, dvd-a, audio files etc.).
    • Specially customized to add and edit classical music albums.
    • Retrieves data from the Internet, such as cd info, album cover, artist information, tracks, and the lyrics of each track etc.

Name:	3.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	877.6 KB 
ID:	549886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	549887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	962.3 KB 
ID:	549888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	549889

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

I found a free album organiser on the 'net, don't know how good it is but it certainly looks fairly comprehensive, perhaps give it a try and report back?

http://www.gsoft4u.com/

Just some of the many features stated:

• The program creates the collection's database in a Microsoft Access format, so if you want later, you can use it, without the help of the program.
    • The user can create as many as different collections wants.
    • Accepts all kinds of musical media (cd, lp, dvd-a, audio files etc.).
    • Specially customized to add and edit classical music albums.
    • Retrieves data from the Internet, such as cd info, album cover, artist information, tracks, and the lyrics of each track etc.

Name:	3.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	877.6 KB 
ID:	549886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	549887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	962.3 KB 
ID:	549888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	549889

-F_D
    Thanks for the tips! I will look into it. In the meantime Iíve just finished a basic spreadsheet that both me and Swambo can also see on our phones, only 241 albums, for now. But as the collection grows we will need to better classify, especially where things are physically located, and not just whether we have it or not.

Right now reggae, rock, pop etc are all in the same A-Z, but we might want to separate those things as time goes by.

All our CDís have been ripped to iTunes and stored away. So that takes care of their classification.

So here is our entertainment centre, complete with old iPod for streaming, and a cassete walkman that still works, for nostaligic sake:

Nice! Technics SL1200? I have one of those in my TT collection too. I would suggest lifting your speakers somewhat, you want them at ear-height when you're seated in your favourite chair. Try toeing them in slightly as well.

I've been playing aropund with Music Collection, not as versatile as Music Collector, but it's free and can import album data and cover images from discog. Give it a try!

It can also import/export to/from an Excel file as well, csv or txt.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Also been using Music collector for years (3000+ records)
    2002 LC 100 VX TD - Safari Snorkel, Stofpad protection, OL Bull bar with winch, FR R-rack, OME suspension
    2009 Subaru Forester - my Platkar
    Echo4 Trailer

Nice! Technics SL1200? I have one of those in my TT collection too. I would suggest lifting your speakers somewhat, you want them at ear-height when you're seated in your favourite chair. Try toeing them in slightly as well.

I've been playing aropund with Music Collection, not as versatile as Music Collector, but it's free and can import album data and cover images from discog. Give it a try!

It can also import/export to/from an Excel file as well, csv or txt.

-F_D
    Thatís actually a brand new Audio Technica TT, pretty much an exact replica of the SL1200, but the price difference is significant.

Those are B&W DM23 bookshelf speakers, but there are used stands for them which I have seen online. After the Minister of Home Affairs approves my application I do plan to raise them.

There is a neat app that you can download for free called DISCOGS gives you the value of your collection, and you can use it to check that you do not buy doubles like I have..

https://www.discogs.com/app

"A day without laughter is a day wasted"
    M.Benz GL350CDi Be AMG 8) AKA "worshond"
    KTM 1190R Adventure