Plumbing - what would cause an "expansion relief valve" to leak?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Plumbing - what would cause an "expansion relief valve" to leak?

My Google skills is not too shabby, but for the life of me I am unable to positively identify this device.

I know its description is to do with relieving expansion in the cold water supply to my geyser.

But what is the bottom, bulbous object do?

I am having a situation where water is dripping out of the "spout" part of the relief valve.
    To the tune of 15L/day.

Why would it leak?
    Is this device serviceable?
    Which part(s) is serviceable?

What do I tell the plumber to bring so that he/she can arrive, repair/replace and leave in a single visit, without having a nagging feeling I am being B.S.'ed?
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C
    '10 Toyota LC150 4.0V6 VX
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Default Re: Plumbing - what would cause an "expansion relive valve" to leak?

But what is the bottom, bulbous object do? It's a spring, which will open the valve at the top when there is too much pressure. And this is why water is dripping out of the top. The springs get old eventually, and they open under less pressure.
    Why would it leak? Probably reached it's end-of-life.
    Is this device serviceable? I don't think so. But don't think they are very expensive.
    Which part(s) is serviceable? As mentioned above, I don't think they are serviceable. However, if they are, it will be the bottom, bulbous object, as you called it.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

My geyser expansion valve did the same, brand new, replaced it, still leaked. Later on I realised that for some reason the previous owner had a pressure valve only on the half of the house, so that geyser was directly on the main water feed and not connect to the main water pressure valve, added a second one that feeds the bathroom, geyser valve stopped dripping, tested my water pressure more than 8 bar!. Now with the 4 bar valve installed geyser valve stopped dripping.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    But what is the bottom, bulbous object do? It's a spring, which will open the valve at the top when there is too much pressure. And this is why water is dripping out of the top. The springs get old eventually, and they open under less pressure.
    Why would it leak? Probably reached it's end-of-life.
    Is this device serviceable? I don't think so. But don't think they are very expensive.
    Which part(s) is serviceable? As mentioned above, I don't think they are serviceable. However, if they are, it will be the bottom, bulbous object, as you called it.
    Thank you for education Ian.
    The house was built 2 years ago and bought it off plan.
    Developer says is a filter and that it is dirty?
    It is the blockage that js causing the leak.
    I do not believe him, for various other reasons.
    Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by staalwol View Post
    My geyser expansion valve did the same, brand new, replaced it, still leaked. Later on I realised that for some reason the previous owner had a pressure valve only on the half of the house, so that geyser was directly on the main water feed and not connect to the main water pressure valve, added a second one that feeds the bathroom, geyser valve stopped dripping, tested my water pressure more than 8 bar!. Now with the 4 bar valve installed geyser valve stopped dripping.
    Do think closing the house emergency stop tap a bit, effectively "choking" the supply a bit would help?

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    Do think closing the house emergency stop tap a bit, effectively "choking" the supply a bit would help?
    With all taps closed the pressure will be the same. All taps are closed most of the time. Opening a tap will just have a lower flow and pressure in the system if you choke the main inlet. The moment you close the tap being used in the house the pressure in the entire system will be the same as the mains.

That is a Multi valve.

It contains a:

Stop Cock

Pressure regulating valve

Expansion valve

If the geyser is filled with water and then being heated it will expand and cause dripping from the 15mm port which is normal.

If it leaks continuously it might be dirty or simply worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Martingx View Post
    That is a Multi valve.

It contains a:

Stop Cock

Pressure regulating valve

Expansion valve

If the geyser is filled with water and then being heated it will expand and cause dripping from the 15mm port which is normal.

If it leaks continuously it might be dirty or simply worn out.
    This is exactly the scenario.
    Is the parts serviceable?

Or is a complete replacement process?
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2019/12/02 at 08:52 PM.

Buy a new one already.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Very seldom worth repairing not that expensive and you can get it without the stopcock. Its called a mono valve. keep the pressure rating the same as the geyser spec.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Buy a new one already.
    Gaan maak gis man.

Very seldom worth repairing not that expensive and you can get it without the stopcock. Its called a mono valve. keep the pressure rating the same as the geyser spec.
    Master answer, thank you.

Still more than R 1,000.00 excl. labour?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Buy a new one already.
    In actual fact, apart from it being a learning curve, I am holding the developer liable, perhaps errenously?

The warranty states 5years, the developer says 6months from hand-over.

In the meantime I need to have it fixed.
    Last edited by swakop_toe; 2019/12/02 at 09:20 PM.

Default Re: Plumbing - what would cause an "expansion relief valve" to leak?

If its still within 5 years contact kwikot themselves

2.5years so far.
    Thank you @martingx

@Dirk , gaan ons ooit weer die Tappitalk "like" knoppie terug kry?

PRV - pressure regulating valve.

If it drips it is doing its job.

When the water heats up, it expands. This expanded water need to go somewhere and the drip is where it is going. It prevents too high pressure in the tank.

According to spec, thwse valves can drip 1.5% of the volume of the geyser per cycle- thus upto 2.25L on a 150L geyser. A cycle starts everytime that you open a tap/the thermostat switches on.

When I get to a valve that drips too much(2.25L/cycle is way too much for me) I always suggest to the client to replace as repairs are seldom sucessful.

Kwikot(my least favorite brand) has a 3 or 5 year guarantee on the tank and 1 year on all accesories.

Valve costs around R1000 excluding labour.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

No, install exactly the same there is currently in.

Firstly, according to SANS 10254(iifrc) spec there needs to be a stop valve within arms reach from the geyser and changing to a mono valve might create a problem.

Secondly, a multi valve is longer than a mono valve, thus the pipe needs to be extended. Not worth the cost amd hassle.

Most geysers can handle up to 600kPa but make sure the PRV and safety valve have the same rating.
    Last edited by thabogrobler; 2019/12/02 at 10:11 PM.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What he said, Kwikot will ask for a proof of purchase etc. You can just explain to them that you bought the house 2 years ago and that you can provide them with proof of this, usually something like an occupation certificate. Also explain to them that it is the plastic valve which as far as I know has 5 year warranty.

Many times some grid in the device causes the constant leaking, from pipe repairs some where else on the Mun network. If it can be opened, clean it an try again.

As said you need to reduce the pressure for the geyser as it cant take take the municipal pressure necessarily, but to reduced the geyser only, for a shower don't work so nice. If you open the cold tap the hot tap get choked. Better to have the pressure valve on the entire house.
    Johan Kriel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast