Die hel - went up in flames

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Die hel - went up in flames

Hi All,

I am hoping that there is someone on the group with more information or advice.

I have just read that there was a fire in the hel this week and the pass is closed until the 2nd Dec, I have a trip planned to the hel on the 6th Dec.

Is all the accommodation burnt / closed in the kloof it self? Will I have to drive down and back up again same day?

**Please note that Gamkaskloof (Die Hel) will be closed from 26 November to 02 December as a result of the fire that broke out in the area on 25 November. The fire has been contained and is under control but the reserve will be closed to allow for mopping up operations. No members of the public will be allowed access to the area until further notice. Please contact Marinette on 087 808 5730 or email mailto:[email protected] for further enquiries. As a result we may not be able to answer the phone or respond to your email for a few days. This fire has already caused a lot of damage and will have a huge impact on our accommodation facilities. We are still trying to gauge the extent of the damage. The restaurant and our home is safe and we will be able to provide you with something to drink and eat. Please confirm that the road is open before you drive through. Please pray for us, we need all the prayers and support from our guests over the next few months while we rebuild.

Default Re: Die hel - went up in flames

Few pics in various papers..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1574830158798.jpg 
Views:	1232 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	549518
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

"No members of the public will be allowed access to the area until further notice. Private visitors may go to Fontein Plaas at their own risk. The restaurant is still operational. Please contact 087 087 8250 for further enquiries."

The area they are referring to is cape nature reserve.

Just for my understanding, are there only two places offering accomodation? (Cape nature and Fontein plaas)

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier View Post
    "No members of the public will be allowed access to the area until further notice. Private visitors may go to Fontein Plaas at their own risk. The restaurant is still operational. Please contact 087 087 8250 for further enquiries."

Just for my understanding, are there only two places offering accomodation? (Cape nature and Fontein plaas)

Hi,

I've also got a booking, but for the 20th, spending one night camping at Bo-plaas. From what I've read in the media, it's Fonteinplaas that was badly affected by the fire.

I thought I should give it some time before I enquire about the current status. Didn't want to hassle anybody in such a challenging time.

Please let me know how your trip goes.

The way I see it is that if the little shop and restaurant is still open they still entertaining the visitors.

All I need to establish is if they would allow me to put a tent up somewhere to overnight, I will try and give them a call during the week.

Just spoke to Francois van Boplaas and he says that their farm has not been affected by the fire.

Thus all bookings made still valid.

Pic shows extend if fire
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

We were thee on 1st December 2019. It was not closed but the lady at Gamkaskloof guest house told us that there was a possibility of the parks board closing the national park for a possible period of a month or two. Although the fire destroyed trees and other vegetation up to near the parks board offices and campsites, only one building of the guest house was damaged and it seemed only to a limited extent.

Before changing plans, I would definitely contact the guest house for updated information. It does not seem that thee is any plan, or need to close the guest house.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don't know what the big issue is...Surely fire in The Hell is par for the course?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Pic shows extend if fire
    That is sad.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Well that is the whole kloof so not much left.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    That is sad.
    It is sad. The guesthouse people were telling me that if the park is closed it means less traffic for them.

We had one night (15th) booked at the camping site and received an email that we could no longer be accommodated. I wish them luck, it's quite a setback for them. Hoping we can still drive down there, though, as I'd like to show swambo the place (and route, of course).
    Last edited by OomD; 2019/12/02 at 01:53 PM.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

Wow, hope the restored houses are ok. This valley can be a death trap?

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier View Post

For those that were asking, here is some info.

The fire in Gamkaskloof has destroyed all the vegetation between the farm Fonteinplaas (owned by Annetjie Joubert and managed by her son, Piet Joubert (Rooibaard Piet) and his wife Marinette Joubert). The private property has been mostly destroyed. The only facilities available are the kiosk (restaurant) and one building, Hendrik se Huisie. All the other farmhouses, the caravans, the campsite and safaricamp have been destroyed or damaged in some way or another and not available. All infrastructure, water, sanitation (ablutions) have been destroyed. It is a Godsend that their homes and the kiosk was spared. However this is their livelihood and as such they have no other source of income. This is a difficult time for them and they will need the support of people like us, people who appreciate what it is they do and where they live. So I plea to all in this community to open your hearts and help them. Details of a relief fund is available on their Facebook Page. I will indicate their account details below as well as details of other accommodation facilities available in the kloof.

Bank: First National Bank
    Account Name: Gamkaskloof Guest Farm
    Account: Cheque Account
    Account Number: 62174261314
    Branch Code: 210414

Cape Nature own the majority of the property in Gamkaskloof and as such have 11 farmhouses as well as camping facilities available. These are all operational, although please confirm the camping facilities as the campsite is at the foot of the Elandspas where the fire burnt up until.
    https://www.capenature.co.za/reserve...ature-reserve/

Fonteinplaas is privately owned by Annetjie Joubert, the farm is about 7kms from the foot of the Elandspas and the entire farm, all the land except their home, the restaurant and Hendrik se Huisie has been destroyed by the fire. They are mostly affected by this fire and hence are the ones desperately needing your help. Please try and support them by donations, ie. building materials, feed for their farm animals (sheep, pigs, chickens, donkey) and if you are there, please stop and offer them your condolences and stay for something to eat and drink, offer them some kind words of encouragement. I spoke with Marinette Joubert last night and these where her words, “Dis ongelooflik hoe mense ons ondersteun! Ek het nie woorde nie.....nie geweet hoeveel respek mense vir ons het nie.” But don’t stop, they still need a lot of help.
    mailto:[email protected] or 087 808 5730 during the day only
    http://www.diehel.com/ and http://www.gamkaskloof.co.za/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/857694034286910/

Boplaas is privately owned and situated on the very far end of Gamkaskloof, it is about 20kms from Elandspas, they have 3 farmhouses and a campsite that is undamaged and operational. You can contact Tannie Rykie on 0833066715 or mailto:[email protected] or their website.
    http://www.diehel.co.za/

Very small donation made.... every bit helps I guess
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Thanks for that update.

Post Re: Die hel - went up in flames

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    Very small donation made.... every bit helps I guess
    Thank you KurtG, if everyone that has been to Gamkaskloof made a small donation it would make a massive difference to their lives. To those that have not been there yet, put this on your to do list ��
    Last edited by Kevin van Blerk; 2019/12/03 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast