Chances of Malaria in Etosha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chances of Malaria in Etosha

Hi all, my family and I rushed in and booked a trip to Etosha Okaukuejo camp over new years and we will be travelling with 3 small kids. After doing some research the malaria issue hit us. Paed says its a no go but sometimes I feel they have to say that.

Will using repellent and being vigilant over that time be ok or is it a no go totally?

Has anyone actually got malaria from visiting Etosha alone?

Default Re: Chances of Malaria in Etosha

How old is the kids?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    How old is the kids?
    4 months, 1 year and 4 years old

That is very young. Look Etosha falls in a malaria area. The risk is certainly there. Let's hope one of the doctors like Stan, sees your post. Or Tony Weaver. Their opinion about this can be trusted.

Personally, I will be reluctant with such young kids but I am very cautious (perhaps overly)with malaria.

Never heard of Malaria in Etosha ..

OK, I equally hate and love Malaria threads on the Forum.

Hate because, even after a medically qualified health care provider has answered the question, we would still rather hunt the anecdotal response that would better fit our unique situations. That, coupled with all the Malaria Chemoprophylaxis haters and other deniers on here it really gets painful to read.

Love because, for what little use it has on here, it is an opportunity to educate.

Now, I am sure the good Dr Weaver will be along shortly and while we wait for him I will share my 2c. Please be aware that I will not be gentle as I go.

To the OP, please:

1. Listen to your Paediatrician.
    2. Listen to your Paediatrician.
    3. Listen to your Paediatrician.

Reasons for listening to your Paediatrician.

1. Neither WHO, CDC or Dept of National Health recommend that children under 5 travel to a Malaria endemic area of which Etosha is one. Even with meticuoulous bite prevention and use of Chemoprophylaxis adults still get Malaria. Can you imagine preventing mozi bites in a 4 month old?
    2. Malaria in children are deadly. Childhood Malaria deaths makes up for 70% of 430K Deaths per annum. Severe anaemia, hypoglycaemia and Cerebral Malaria are common in Children who gets Malaria

"Children are at an extreme malaria risk as they can rapidly become seriously ill with malaria. Babies and young children under the age of five years should not be taken into malaria areas unless it is absolutely essential." - South African Guidelines for the Prevention of Malaria

As to the question, is there Malaria in Etosha? Well according to Etosha there is Malaria in Etosha...

Malaria in Etosha
    There appears to be on-going online debate as to the risk of malaria and related precautionary measures when visiting Etosha National Park. Here is a little breakdown of the main issues for your piece of mind before arrival at the park.

The general consensus would seem to agree that although using some form of repellent is always wise, the winter months are entirely malaria-free. After all, malaria mosquitos need water to breed, and you certainly won’t see much water around during Etosha’s bone dry winters.

However, most international health organisations advise taking some form of prophylaxis during the wetter months, roughly from November to June. This is really just to be on the safe side, with local doctors, guides and previous visitors to the park all agreed that the chances of catching malaria remain slim all year round. Recorded cases of the disease are few and far between. This is, in fact, true throughout most of the country, except in the northern Caprivi Strip region.

In terms of appropriate prophylaxes, Malarone is considered to be the best option for most visitors to Etosha who are not heading on towards areas such as Caprivi. Malarone is taken once daily, has fewer listed potential side effects than other pills and only needs to be taken for one day before entering a malaria zone and for only seven days after leaving again. But for visitors due to spend extended time in malaria zones further north after leaving Etosha, you pay per pill for Malarone and it certainly isn’t cheap. Doxycycline and Lariam are much more affordable for longer periods, but bring a lot more potential side effects with them, and must be taken for some time both before entering and after leaving malaria risk areas. Whatever the case, always make sure to consult your GP before going to the park as this information may be subject to change.

Apart from all of this, it is always wise to adhere to a pretty universal set of basic bush rules when in areas with lots of mosquitos: wearing long sleeves and full-length pants after dusk and, again, always applying some form of repellent to any remaining exposed areas, particularly feet and ankles.

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

Malaria Map for Nam.

Name:  namibia-base.png
Views: 372
Size:  42.0 KB

Bloemfontein

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Never heard of Malaria in Etosha ..
    Ai ou Peter, it is not about what you might have heard, it is about FACTS!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperCreepers View Post
    OK, I equally hate and love Malaria threads on the Forum.

Hate because, even after a medically qualified health care provider has answered the question, we would still rather hunt the anecdotal response that would better fit our unique situations. That, coupled with all the Malaria Chemoprophylaxis haters and other deniers on here it really gets painful to read.

Love because, for what little use it has on here, it is an opportunity to educate.

Now, I am sure the good Dr Weaver will be along shortly and while we wait for him I will share my 2c.
    I did not mean offence, Jeepers. You are clearly a doctor as well (I was not aware) and your post is excellent! I mentioned Tony because I know he has valuable tips about travelling with small kids in malaria areas which he did.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/11/30 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I did not mean offence, Jeepers. You are clearly a doctor as well (I was not aware) and your post is excellent! I mentioned Tony because I know he has valuable tips about travelling with small kids in malaria areas which he did.
    NOOOOOOO Lekhubu!!! No offence taken. I humbly bown down to Tony's clinical knowledge, experience and skill! I am a humble Paramedic that happens to be working in a endemic Malaria area, with a keen interest in Travel Medicine (I did complete the SASTM course in Travel Medicine but thats about it)!
    Last edited by JeeperCreepers; 2019/11/30 at 06:03 PM.

Bloemfontein

Lol, ok then

Bouquets and brickbats.

Bouquets for lekhubu and especially JeepersCreepers.
    A huge brickbat for Peter Betts.

In a thread mentioning children and malaria prophylaxis, it is worth noting that the excellent malaria prophylactic Doxycycline is not suitable for children less than 8 years of age as it affects developing teeth and bones.

Malarone should not be used in children less than 11kg in weight. The advice that children under the age of 5 years should not voluntarily be transported into a malaria area is sound and widely supported. If you decide to ignore this advice please get medical guidance on the dose of Malarone needed for each of your children as the dose is based on body weight. Mosquito bite prevention is almost as important. Mosquito repellent spray, long sleeves, long trousers, socks and shoes (especially when the sun is down). Spray tent and ablutions with insecticide aerosol and keep insect-proof gauze zipped up in tent or gauze on doors and widows of bungalows closed, etc, etc.

Just a final word of warning. If parents neglect the health of their children, resulting in a mortality, it is not impossible that they might be prosecuted under the Child Protection Act.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Bouquets and brickbats.

Bouquets for lekhubu and especially JeepersCreepers.
    A huge brickbat for Peter Betts.

In a thread mentioning children and malaria prophylaxis, it is worth noting that the excellent malaria prophylactic Doxycycline is not suitable for children less than 8 years of age as it affects developing teeth and bones.

Malarone should not be used in children less than 11kg in weight. The advice that children under the age of 5 years should not voluntarily be transported into a malaria area is sound and widely supported. If you decide to ignore this advice please get medical guidance on the dose of Malarone needed for each of your children as the dose is based on body weight. Mosquito bite prevention is almost as important. Mosquito repellent spray, long sleeves, long trousers, socks and shoes (especially when the sun is down). Spray tent and ablutions with insecticide aerosol and keep insect-proof gauze zipped up in tent or gauze on doors and widows of bungalows closed, etc, etc.

Just a final word of warning. If parents neglect the health of their children, resulting in a mortality, it is not impossible that they might be prosecuted under the Child Protection Act.
    Thanks Doc. Utmost respect for your opinion on this matter et al.

Bloemfontein

Depends also how much rain they had, and time of the year. The risk might be higher this summer as they already some good rains. I grew up in Outjo and none of us ever had malaria. But that said the risk are there.

In the Kavango and Caprivi the chances are significant higher to attract malaria.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/03 at 11:19 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

I am NOT a medical professional, but Stan is - take his advice. Etosha is a malarial area, and December is high risk. The last time I was in Etosha was over Dec/Jan and the mosquitoes were bad in Okaukuejo. The heat was worse, with temperatures regularly above 40degC. Personally I would not risk taking children that young into a malarial area like Etosha.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I am NOT a medical professional, but Stan is - take his advice. Etosha is a malarial area, and December is high risk. The last time I was in Etosha was over Dec/Jan and the mosquitoes were bad in Okaukuejo. The heat was worse, with temperatures regularly above 40degC. Personally I would not risk taking children that young into a malarial area like Etosha.
    that settles it ,thanks for the input ,will be visitng that area dec.

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    Hi all, my family and I rushed in and booked a trip to Etosha Okaukuejo camp over new years and we will be travelling with 3 small kids. After doing some research the malaria issue hit us. Paed says its a no go but sometimes I feel they have to say that.

Will using repellent and being vigilant over that time be ok or is it a no go totally?

Has anyone actually got malaria from visiting Etosha alone?
    Ek wil net byvoeg, Etosha het al goeie reen gekry, Tref voorsorg. Smeer genoeg rome met sitronella aan, en as jul kan vat muskiet nette vir die beddens saam. Muskiete is so lief om jou te kom byt as jy slaap. En trek as dit laat word, langbroeke en skoene aan, Ja ek weet dit is warm, maar smeer en spuit ook op die klere. Brand ook muskietkerse en coils saans.

En dan gaan sien jou dr en drink die nodige voorbehoeding. Veral met die kleintjies. Ek het groot geword in Otjiwaronge en ons het gereeld Etosha besoek. Daardie jare nie geweet van Malaria nie, maar dan moet ek ook se ek dink hul het beter muskietbeheer gehad.

Geniet Etosha en as jul siek word, gaan onmiddelik dr toe!
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Depends also how much rain they had, and time of the year. The risk might be higher this summer as they already some good rains. I grew up in Outjo and none of us ever had malaria. But that said the risk are there.

In the Kavango and Caprivi the chances are significant higher to attract malaria.
    mozzies don't need rain, they'll hatch in a puddle of dew if it doesn't evaporate fast enough
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Daardie jare nie geweet van Malaria nie, maar dan moet ek ook se ek dink hul het beter muskietbeheer gehad.
    Muskiete was daai tyd net so volop, jou heelnag wakker gehou. Ten spyte van beheer programme partykeer, wat nog steed geskiet partykeer.

But as said maybe too risky for small children.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/04 at 10:44 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    mozzies don't need rain, they'll hatch in a puddle of dew if it doesn't evaporate fast enough
    Dew puddle in that area after sunrise, no chance! Mozzies are there whole year, just more in the raining season
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/12/04 at 10:49 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast