getting started on grid tied - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: getting started on grid tied

This was the purpose of this thread. My guy said x y and z. I thought “cool” he supposed to know the stuff.
    To cover bases I thought I would ask here. Glad I did. I think lots of people have benefited as a result. I’m very happy with the feedback even if it had burned a bit.

Maybe one of you more knowledgeable chaps can give me an idea of how I should get started?

Seems Jelo and I want to get the same results.
    Coverage during sun hours for most of the loads EVEN IF THERE IS LOAD-SHEDDING.

It sounds like this is now possible with a single inverter system that can keep the Eskom oukie safe whilst still powering my house.

Thoughts from the fundis?
    Hyundai ix35 2.0 crdi 4wd (Current, untill i get a proper 4x4 again )
    The Firetruck: Isuzu KB360 V6 4x4 (Sold)

I think this is the greatest business opportunity that has hit SA in years;
    1) Competent installers
    2) A solar installer body regulating installers, stds erc
    BUT, this comes at a cost, so the notion that solar is cheap needs to be corrected as well.
    Last edited by NewLandy; Today at 10:00 AM.

Is this stipulated in SANS anywhere?

"running in thick solid steel Bosal pipes through the ceiling and walls to the inverter to prevent catastrophic potential fires from extepremely high voltages."

An elec fence runs at 10 k Volts and it does not have to be in steel piping....

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Is this stipulated in SANS anywhere?

"running in thick solid steel Bosal pipes through the ceiling and walls to the inverter to prevent catastrophic potential fires from extepremely high voltages."

An elec fence runs at 10 k Volts and it does not have to be in steel piping....
    Neither does your car HT leads. Its all about the current.

While an electric fence may shock you, it will only deliver a few non-lethal millamps.

A high voltage PV feed will deliver an extremely lethal high voltage several amps, read as KILOwatts blow.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Neither does your car HT leads. Its all about the current.

While an electric fence may shock you, it will only deliver a few non-lethal millamps.

A high voltage PV feed will deliver an extremely lethal high voltage several amps, read as KILOwatts blow.
    I can recall seeing something like 46A at 52V coming down into my buddie's house from the panels on the roof. That is pretty lethal.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; Today at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kershmeister View Post
    Seems Jelo and I want to get the same results.
    Coverage during sun hours for most of the loads EVEN IF THERE IS LOAD-SHEDDING.

Thoughts from the fundis?
    The answer is really simple.

Phase 1.

Lay our R25K for a Goodwe or InfiniSolar Grid-Tied Hybrid with backup facility.

Add as many PV panels as you can afford now.

Harvest the sun during the day to feed you load. Feed excess power back into the grid if you can or are allowed to.

Phase 2.

Modify you DB to separate essential (backup) loads and non-essential (grid only) loads

Add as many batteries as you will need or can afford to cover the backup during a loadshed.

Phase 3.

If, when and as necessary and you have the money. Expand the system. More PV, more batteries, another Inverter.

If you live in a windy are, add a wind turbine. (great for base load at night.)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3