getting started on grid tied - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: getting started on grid tied

Warning to the OP. I have the Mecer / Axpert inverter. A great piece of kit, if used as a UPS. Like fluffy said, its a ups. Nothing more. There was even a video doing the rounds on this forum as how to connect the axpert to grid and it uses solar to run your home and feed extra from the grid when solar runs short, and batteries when grid is off, while charging from solar, and re-introducing grid when avaiable. BOLLOCKS. This system can not feed your home with grid and solar at the same time.

So it can work in 2 ways, buth as a ups only.
    1. Grid connected with batteries. Batteries charge from grid. As soon as grid fails, ups changes over to batteries in an instant. No electronics even notice this, just a flourescant light in the kitchen dies for 1/2 second. When grid restores, the batteries charge and wait.

2. Solar input with batteries. Now you are not connected to the grid. You charge and supply your home with solar and batteries combined to make up the load. If you have less load than what your panels can provide, you will charge batteries and supply power to the home. If panels are short of demand, you will get the extra power from batteries, not grid. At night you will use batteries. This means you will cycle your batteries every day, making your batteries way more expensive. You will not be connected to the grid and you need one huge setup to cover everything from batteries and solar alone.

I got this system as back-ups to start with, and wanted to expand to solar to feed the home during the day and run on grid at night. This system does not let you do that. I am quite cheesed as I was told by many "installers" of these inverters as well as sales staff that this is possible.

Luckily plans in life has changed, so hopefully if all pans out, i will build my home in 2 years, and do a proper off grid from the start with li-on batteries. So for now, I am happy with my ups system. Swambo works from home and I do admin at night. We were not affected by the latest round of load shedding at all. Can watch tv, work, laptops, charge phones, do washing etc as per usual. The DB was split so I dont run the stove, oven, geyser and kitchen plugs off the inverter. The rest is all ok, fridges, freezers, plugs and lights.

Bottom line is, there is no such thing as cheap solar.

Hope this helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

What really grinds my nuts is that all this solar expenditure is purely because of incompetence and BEE...

The same "qualified" engineers that bought trains that don't fit also designed power plants for Africa based on European coal characteristics..

The same "please protect me from yourself" crowd have destroyed everything else they touch as well...

Next will be sewerage plant failure on a grand scale, followed by water issues...

Rant over... Now I have to order R40k worth of batteries!

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    Warning to the OP. I have the Mecer / Axpert inverter. A great piece of kit, if used as a UPS. Like fluffy said, its a ups. Nothing more. There was even a video doing the rounds on this forum as how to connect the axpert to grid and it uses solar to run your home and feed extra from the grid when solar runs short, and batteries when grid is off, while charging from solar, and re-introducing grid when avaiable. BOLLOCKS. This system can not feed your home with grid and solar at the same time.

Bottom line is, there is no such thing as cheap solar.

Hope this helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Have you not thought of adding a grid tied inverter to the Mecer/Axpert. This way solar can reduce grid use and also charge the batteries for nearly free. The added investment in the grid tied inverter will pay for itself in a short period. You then still have the back up available during load shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Have you not thought of adding a grid tied inverter to the Mecer/Axpert. This way solar can reduce grid use and also charge the batteries for nearly free. The added investment in the grid tied inverter will pay for itself in a short period. You then still have the back up available during load shedding.
    I will wait untill I build my home in a few years, and then do it off grid from the start.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4