getting started on grid tied - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: getting started on grid tied

This was the purpose of this thread. My guy said x y and z. I thought “cool” he supposed to know the stuff.
    To cover bases I thought I would ask here. Glad I did. I think lots of people have benefited as a result. I’m very happy with the feedback even if it had burned a bit.

Maybe one of you more knowledgeable chaps can give me an idea of how I should get started?

Seems Jelo and I want to get the same results.
    Coverage during sun hours for most of the loads EVEN IF THERE IS LOAD-SHEDDING.

It sounds like this is now possible with a single inverter system that can keep the Eskom oukie safe whilst still powering my house.

Thoughts from the fundis?
    Hyundai ix35 2.0 crdi 4wd (Current, untill i get a proper 4x4 again )
    The Firetruck: Isuzu KB360 V6 4x4 (Sold)

I think this is the greatest business opportunity that has hit SA in years;
    1) Competent installers
    2) A solar installer body regulating installers, stds erc
    BUT, this comes at a cost, so the notion that solar is cheap needs to be corrected as well.
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2019/12/07 at 10:00 AM.

Is this stipulated in SANS anywhere?

"running in thick solid steel Bosal pipes through the ceiling and walls to the inverter to prevent catastrophic potential fires from extepremely high voltages."

An elec fence runs at 10 k Volts and it does not have to be in steel piping....

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Is this stipulated in SANS anywhere?

"running in thick solid steel Bosal pipes through the ceiling and walls to the inverter to prevent catastrophic potential fires from extepremely high voltages."

An elec fence runs at 10 k Volts and it does not have to be in steel piping....
    Neither does your car HT leads. Its all about the current.

While an electric fence may shock you, it will only deliver a few non-lethal millamps.

A high voltage PV feed will deliver an extremely lethal high voltage several amps, read as KILOwatts blow.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Neither does your car HT leads. Its all about the current.

While an electric fence may shock you, it will only deliver a few non-lethal millamps.

A high voltage PV feed will deliver an extremely lethal high voltage several amps, read as KILOwatts blow.
    I can recall seeing something like 46A at 52V coming down into my buddie's house from the panels on the roof. That is pretty lethal.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2019/12/07 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kershmeister View Post
    Seems Jelo and I want to get the same results.
    Coverage during sun hours for most of the loads EVEN IF THERE IS LOAD-SHEDDING.

Thoughts from the fundis?
    The answer is really simple.

Phase 1.

Lay our R25K for a Goodwe or InfiniSolar Grid-Tied Hybrid with backup facility.

Add as many PV panels as you can afford now.

Harvest the sun during the day to feed you load. Feed excess power back into the grid if you can or are allowed to.

Phase 2.

Modify you DB to separate essential (backup) loads and non-essential (grid only) loads

Add as many batteries as you will need or can afford to cover the backup during a loadshed.

Phase 3.

If, when and as necessary and you have the money. Expand the system. More PV, more batteries, another Inverter.

If you live in a windy are, add a wind turbine. (great for base load at night.)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Its way easier to just put a change over switch/contactor on the incoming mains and just switch to grid-tie inverter when the power fails.
    Not sure how the grid tie inverter will work when you switch to it during a power failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Not sure how the grid tie inverter will work when you switch to it during a power failure.
    Ja, I also don't follow this...

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    You need a grid tied with backup output facility.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

You need a grid tied with backup output facility.
    Which I understand as a 'hybrid' system??
    We do have a problem if the marketing people are using descriptions which aren't what is generally understood by that term.
    Li-Ion batteries have accepted abbreviations: e.g. LiFEPO4 lithium iron phosphate battery or LFP battery
    This makes it possible to differentiate between Li-Ion batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Which I understand as a 'hybrid' system??
    We do have a problem if the marketing people are using descriptions which aren't what is generally understood by that term.
    Li-Ion batteries have accepted abbreviations: e.g. LiFEPO4 lithium iron phosphate battery or LFP battery
    This makes it possible to differentiate between Li-Ion batteries.
    Or a Hybrid System is where a solar charge controller and an inverter are integrated into a single unit...?
    Last edited by SAND; 2019/12/08 at 09:20 AM.

Do yourself a favour and go get some real training before you do anything else. I was in this game for years before selling out and retiring and believe me half the advice and info you are being given here is wrong. Large proffesional companies like SMA and microcare offer free training courses and you would benefit from these even if you use an oppositions product. Buying 1 piece of equipment with everything built in may sound great till the simplest component fails. Good luck.
    Chris Stockwell
    Toyota FJ cruiser
    BMW 1600 GT M/Cycle

"If it ain't fun, I ain't doin it."

Quote Originally Posted by ryzen View Post
    Do yourself a favour and go get some real training before you do anything else. I was in this game for years before selling out and retiring and believe me half the advice and info you are being given here is wrong. Large proffesional companies like SMA and microcare offer free training courses and you would benefit from these even if you use an oppositions product. Buying 1 piece of equipment with everything built in may sound great till the simplest component fails. Good luck.
    Hi Ryzen,
    I'm an electronics man and on the one hand I agree with you regarding training but I don't think this is for everyone.
    Even if I wanted to do training I don't see much being offered especially SMA (I'm still trying to get a wall bracket for my unit from that IBC outfit)
    There's a lot to be gained by asking questions on forums such as this one.
    There's always someone who can clarify issues or add some encouraging comment I have found.
    This issue of the naming of a solar system is problematic because it isn't regulated so it's really confusing.
    Remember, there isn't a stupid question if you are really are wanting to know something.

Buy a sealed unit inverter, to avoid Gecko fries and coastal air damage
    Buy an inverter which has maximum flexibility in permutations: especially that it can switch from solar-only during day-time to Eskom without switching to battery and then Eskom. Useful when load-shedding can mean your batteries are depleted when the next shedding occurs, during the night
    Place panels, if possible, on two roof aspects, to ensure direct sun as the sun traverses the sky
    Occasionally, wash down the panels. Dirt and grime degrade performance
    Find a system that links to your PC so that you can change parameters from your desk. While undesirable, you may wish to adjust the cut-out voltage to a low level on a particular occasion
    My opinion: I distrust Li-Ion batteries due to potential fire hazard. My opinion only: Invest in a Super-Capacitor with the advantages of 1M plus cycles and very fast recharge times
    2015 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 DCI Tiptronic
    2000 Nissan Terrano II 2.7 tdi SWB

Quote Originally Posted by Traf View Post
    My opinion only: Invest in a Super-Capacitor with the advantages of 1M plus cycles and very fast recharge times
    The batteries that come with these are still just batteries based on current technology.
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    The batteries that come with these are still just batteries based on current technology.
    I thought the super cap is the battery

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I thought the super cap is the battery
    If he is refering to the sirus "super capacitor" then as far as i understand they are equiped with Li-ion batteries as per their website. I dont think a pure super cap battery replacement exist. People offcoarse want them to exist (im one of them) but in reality they dont.

There is a thread that already exist under this "alternative energy solutions" regarding super caps i think its better we discuss it threre otherwise this thread will be totally derailed. Hint hint 2so , thin wheel vs wide wheel in mud , what came first chicken or the egg type of conversation :-)
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Hi fellow load shedders.

I will share my lessons of living off grid 100% for almost 7 years. (Thankfully thats over now)

Most people think "lets slap up a couple of solar panels and a 12 volt truck battery and all our woes will be gone"

Think again...

In 2013 I paid about R75K for a 1.5KW solar system. (Designed to expand at a later stage to 3KW)

We had a 3KW Victron inverter, solar world panels x 2 @ 240 watts (I think or perhaps 280 watts), microcare MPPT controller, 8 x 6 volt Trojan batteries (48 volt system), victron battery monitor, DB board with surge arrestors and breakers etc...
    Also included was about 7 draw string lights, a Kelvinator fridge / freezer which utilizes about 80 watts, all the wiring, hardware and labour to install the solar equipment.

I made the frames for the panels to be bolted onto the roof along with a shutterboard box to house the batteries. (+- 3-R4K material and labour)

At that point I already had a Ryobi 5.5kw genset I had bought for R3K (They cost around 10 - R12k today) (it also eats about 3 litres of petrol per hour)

This is the most important aspect of a solar system:

Batteries...THEY WANT TO BE FULLY CHARGED (at least 90% capacity at night time)

Should your batteries require charging via the genset it usually happens whilst adverse weather is about, ie. raining...

Now you discover its really not so lekker to fuel up a genset in the rain and working with electricity...

Now you decide "lets spend more money" and build a small garage for the genset...

See where I am going...(Please read in between the lines, genset service, petrol blah blah)

The moral of the story is, its a huge inconvenience to ones life, it costs alot of money, you cannot run your whole house off solar and batteries unless you own a bank.

My advice would be is to slowly replace old appliances with energy +++, get a decent diesel genset with a ATS for load shedding.

Anyway that is my experience with good quality solar equipment and I would much rather have eskom and start the genny when need be.

Aahh hah
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

R22,300 for Prime 6kVA unit

If you split your DB and remove the highest use items then that one should be able to handle most house holds with reasonable usage

It technically could run some of the high usage items but if you start using them together then you can have issues

Also looks like they at least over specked the engine taking into account +-20% power loss between sea level and Gauteng and then preferred max 80% constant use they appeared to have specked this engine decently

One thing to remember with Diesel Generators is that it is better to run them at decent usage rates constantly (they really do not like being run below 30%)
    So do not try and take too much off these

https://www.bundupower.co.za/gen-die...hp?mod=BP6500S
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2019/12/11 at 06:41 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast