Would you?

Thread: Would you?

Default Would you?

If you could do a 6 day 4x4 trail through a pristine wilderness behind the back of beyond where you would see nobody else would you?
    Now I'm not talking about a nice safe little trip I'm talking about a place that has no roads, no cell signal, plenty of drifts, rocky mountains, dry rivers, no bailout points and only a GPS trail to follow.
    Big possibility of getting stuck, punctures and plenty of hard work.
    Fantastic sunrises, ice cold sundowners, dinner under the stars, toast cooked on a fire, plenty of wildlife and completely self sufficient.
    Just how adventurous are you? Is there such a thing as to far of the beaten track?
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

Default Re: Would you?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8i rocks View Post
    Is there such a thing as to far of the beaten track?
    Certainly, look at what happened to the two brothers who went hiking at Wolkberg recently. The key is to be prepared; lots of spare water, an additional battery for the vehicle, spare dry, light foods and perhaps a satellite phone. Fitness is also very important for in case you have to walk far to seek help. If all these are in order, just do it!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

I'm not asking if I should I'm asking if you would
    My main reason is that people seem to worry about there air bag suspension, electric gadgets, daily fuel consumption in traffic and so many acronyms that it makes my head spin.
    So I was wondering if people would take there prize 4x4's that where made for adventure on a trip that would test them both to the limit and probably dent, scratch and give there rides some character
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

I'm not asking if I should I'm asking if you would
    My main reason is that people seem to worry about there air bag suspension, electric gadgets, daily fuel consumption in traffic and so many acronyms that it makes my head spin.
    So I was wondering if people would take there prize 4x4's that where made for adventure on a trip that would test them both to the limit and probably dent, scratch and give there rides some character
    Yes

That's what my D3 was built for. We have been totally off the beaten path in the past with no issues.

The question you should ask is "would you be able to drive your 4x4 there"
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

Roads (includes tar to tweespoor tracks) = car = road = car = road ie the two go together. This is what 99 percent of overlanding involves - even over the Magadi pans. What is being suggested here is trailblazing - going out there and working out and making tracks = totally different ballgame. Who knows what all is required ? As a matter of interest anyone on the forum done any serious trailblazing?

If you could do a 6 day 4x4 trail through a pristine wilderness behind the back of beyond where you would see nobody else would you?
    Now I'm not talking about a nice safe little trip I'm talking about a place that has no roads, no cell signal, plenty of drifts, rocky mountains, dry rivers, no bailout points and only a GPS trail to follow.
    Fantastic sunrises, ice cold sundowners, dinner under the stars, toast cooked on a fire, plenty of wildlife and completely self sufficient.
    Just how adventurous are you? Is there such a thing as to far of the beaten track?
    Are you thinking of something like the annual Rhino Charge in Kenya http://rhinocharge.co.ke/? Or are you thinking about setting off through the bundu with a group of others?

And, yes, we do have many, many bush stripes on our Land Rover and much accumulated dust. We do go bundu-bashing, but in an environmentally-aware way. Tracks in the desert - or across the plains - once there never disappear.

We did that in Tankwa without even a GPS long before the park was open to visitors. No stalls along the R355 those days and no Africa burn. 100 km from anyone and spent 10 days completely alone. No cell and water at one windpump only. Roads were on a hand drawn map. Navigation was a challenge.

Pic of the 1973 Series 2A Landy in the Tankwa.

Name:  Near Leeuberg.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  680.4 KB
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)