Few notes on Ihaha

Default Few notes on Ihaha

Camped at site 9 from 19 to 24 November.
    Now, not a lot changed there. Same old ablutions (caretakers car was broken so we offered to bring the cleaners down to clean - Lion scare!) Old but relative clean, no hot water. Those bats freaked the women out and is making a mess, but we must tolerate them in their "hotel" to eat the mosquitoes!
    The campsite was free of overnighting baboons. I think it is because they now stay at the Ihaha jetty together with the police. Why they cant rake (hark) the campsites or making it a bit more attractive is not understandable
    Patrols by Police were visible but not frequent during the night (unless they do it on foot). Did not see the BDF. Lots of fisherman on the river (only a trickle of water maybe 50m?) and lots of cattle on Nam side. This is taking away the bush experience!
    We received reports of elephant, buffalo etc through the camp but saw only Impala and many birds which in itself is beautifull. Leopard spoor were picked up one morning near no 4.
    There is little black beetle coming out after dawn in massive swarms which is a real pest and drove us to tents early. Main meal was before dark. Can someone please advise on them and what repellant can be used. I picked up elephant dung and burnt it but it only helped for the "oewer muggies" (what is the English?)
    Roads are for 4x4 although I experienced problems changing between 4x4 and 2x4 so the last day I stayed in 2x4 without problems.
    Game viewing in Chobe is always magnificent. Big herds of elephants and buffalo on the plains. lions but no Leopard....
    We paid R2 850 (cannot remember the BWP value) for 5 nights for 2 people. Park fees were about BWP 1 740. (BWP 120pppd and car BWP 50pd)
    Will we go again. It is expensive! Maybe we will stay at Muchenje (BWP180pppn) or Chobe Lodge (Listen BWP 110pppn)
    The river is something special, and will always call us back.
    As a transport economist by training the bridge (and ferries) was of special interest to me and is nearing completion. We went over on foot for the experience, you may also come back a richer person. Observing the vibrant micro economies, cooking ladies, pedestrian trade over the border in things like those reed mats, interaction between truck drivers and local suppliers of goods and services, tourists making use of Livingston airport makes one think. The bridge will leave a lot of locals to rethink their daily income. I counted about 120 trucks waaiting to cross.

Default Re: Few notes on Ihaha

Thanks for that mate, not lot of changes then indeed.

Would you mind to post a picture of the bridge at this stage of construction?

Last saw it almost a year ago

Maybe add one for Ihaha as well just to match the title
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

2 photos taken at the beginning of November.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_01_1.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	550126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5944_1.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	550127  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post

Thanks Malcolm, looks like a genius masterpiece of engineering.

We can look forward to the use pretty soon
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Thanks for posting!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Are the Chinese contracted to build the bridge?

We also were just at Ihaha in November and had similar experience:

-We did not see any police patrols at all. Perhaps they were on foot and we missed them?
    -We only stayed one night, no issues with crime in any of the campsites that we heard of.
    -We were originally assigned campsite No. 7, which was overrun with a tremendous number of biting ants. One of the camp staff suggested we move to No 6, which only had a few. Nice that it was unoccupied, as No. 7 was unlivable. We would have had to camp somewhere else for sure, you couldn't stand for 2 minutes without being attacked.
    -The river was indeed very low, but the first rain had just fallen and it was nice to see the tiny beginnings of grass shoots popping up and buds coming out of shrubs and tries that only a week earlier had looked dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Are the Chinese contracted to build the bridge?
    Nope, Japanese finance this time.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Nope, Japanese finance this time.
    And the contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    And the contractor?
    Consortium of Bots / Zam and SA contractors.
    Joint management between Bots and Zam.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

I hope the bone fides of the Kazangula Bridge Financiers and contractors have shut the mouths of the eternal cynics that feel compelled to add their poison to every possible thread.

I have had enough of shotgun negativity.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Now where is that like button Thanks Stan
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I hope the bone fides of the Kazangula Bridge Financiers and contractors have shut the mouths of the eternal cynics that feel compelled to add their poison to every possible thread.

I have had enough of shotgun negativity.
    ??

In the end here is my photos of the bridge. The Mokoro is still there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brug .jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	553721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brug boom.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	351.3 KB 
ID:	553722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brug brug 1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	553723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brug brug.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	286.8 KB 
ID:	553724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brug Pont.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	553725

Please tell us some stories being told while having coffe or drinks or food in the shade of that tree? Hope it will stay there!
    Last edited by Williepiet; 2020/01/10 at 11:06 AM.

Apologies if Iím hijacking the post but itís inline with the heading. We camped at Ihaha on the 9th and 10th.

Firstly I believe this could be one of Botswanaís prime camping spots.

We where greeted by almost 20 giraffes next to our camp site on the fist morning while the mist was still rising over the grass plains in front of us.

Unfortunately this experience was overshadowed by a number of not so nice experiences.

Besides the fact that our camp site was double booked and had to move to stand 1 that is covered in ants and litter as well as a uninvited visitor.

On our fist night we had the Botswana Defense Force patrol the area, only to be approached by three armed BDF members asking assistance as their vehicle got stuck in the mud.

This was scary experience seeing thee shadowy individuals with AK47ís in the camp. But we jumped at the opportunity to recover a army unit.

I must add that it was strange that the a total of six soldiers could not push the cruiser out of the small mud pool they where stuck in.

After the recovery the BDF patrolled the area frequently by driving at high speed with lights on, in my option not to effective as itís a pretty predictable pattern.

However we feel a bit more assured knowing about the problems Ihaha has faced in the past.

On the second night things where quite different. Once again knowing of the issues at Ihaha we decided to put up portable alarm beams and some home made trip wires.

This evening there was no sign of the BFD and at about 23:00 after everyone went to bed one of the alarms triggered, both myself and my brother in-law got up only to see the two legged visitor running for the hills only to trigger on of the trip wires on his way out.

Not sure who got the biggest fright....

With all the excitement we didnít sleep much after the ordeal only to have the BDF suddenly driving patrols from 23:30 with a frequency of one each 30 min between patrols.

The most shocking part of it was the reaction of the staff and security officers, they where more worried about us writing the permit number in the registrar than the incident at the camp. This made us wonder if these incidents are not a inside job, but that is pure speculation.

We where lucky that nothing happened but this has put us off Ihaha for good.

Lastly looking at the state of the facilities vs the cost of the camp and park fees.... Itís not worth it.

A tin of paint and a couple of tiles does not cost a lot of money.

Luckily as usual the rest of our Bots trip was epic as always.

Hope this helps someone
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. David Livingston

Could you post details of your alarms - they seem to have worked well!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Could you post details of your alarms - they seem to have worked well!
    Sure the tripwire was something like this https://youtu.be/SaegLKRuFa0

Beams you can get at any big hardware store - https://stepbuildingsupplies.co.za/p...IaAoasEALw_wcB
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. David Livingston

Thanks - Most useful!

Quote Originally Posted by Henneri View Post
    Sure the tripwire was something like this https://youtu.be/SaegLKRuFa0

Beams you can get at any big hardware store - https://stepbuildingsupplies.co.za/p...IaAoasEALw_wcB