Default Editing MP4 video

Hi

I need some advise on free software to edit MP4 videos please. I record videos of me and the boys while riding motorcycle on an action cam.

I basically just want to create short videos of the action parts of the ride. Currently the videos are about 15 min long (action cam breaks them into their own segments so it is not an hour video for example). I want to edit it to just have a video of say 30s.

Thanks
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

Default Re: Editing MP4 video

I use a Mac and it comes pre-installed with iMovie which does everything I need. The Windows equivalent was Movie Maker, not sure if it's still included with Windows. I've never used it, but ShotCut seems to be a popular free download.

Windows Movie Maker is fine for amateur edits, just takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. Most of the freeware is a waste of time and only allows limited actions unless you upgrade and pay.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/11/27 at 06:23 PM.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

OpenShot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

I use Openshot to edit and compile our videos for YouTube. It is free and uses a timeline function making editing easy. It is a bit resource hungry so if you are running a celeron laptop it will be a bit jerky but still very usable

You could use VSDC if you have a low end PC. I also use that depending on the type of video I am doing
    Last edited by Chris G; 2019/11/27 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    My Life Loving It

I bought Cyberlink Powerdirector a few years ago. It has way more functions than any free software out there, though not the best video editing software available. But at the price I cannot complain.

They run specials on their website regularly. I ordered and paid via PayPal. No issues.
    Anton van Kampen

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Thanks for the replies.

I tried Openshot on my laptop but it did bog it down quite badly. It is a basic laptop that I mainly use for work which might be the problem.

I have not gotten time to look at VSDC but will try it and see if that works.
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

I recommend Movavi for quickly trimming down motorcycle ride videos. It's user-friendly, accessible, and supports various video formats, including MP4. You can select the start and end points and create 30-second highlights. For more options, check out a video cutter list in this article.
    Last edited by jac123; 2023/11/15 at 06:18 PM.
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D GLS
    2002 BMW K1200 RS (vir die mooi weers dae)
    2004 Smart 450 cabriolet (for driving to work and back,it only sniffs on fuell,700 cc TURBO)
    2001 Audi A6 Avant (Platkar)
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8

I use Videopad video editor. The free version has quite a lot of functionality that is more than sufficient fir what I am doing.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

So, I have also had a look-see for video editors...
    On Windows I used Sony's Vegas MovieStudio, and what a brilliant piece of software it WAS. It was bought out by anuvver company, and "made redundant" in favour of its own much more expensive product. At just about the time I switched over from Windows to Linux Mint)

So I looked around, and 2 candidates made the short-list: DaVinci Resolve and KDEnLive.

I am a Linux user, and DaVinci Resolve did not want to install on my i7 laptop with Linux Mint 21...

Downloaded KDEnLive in 2021, and it ticks all the boxes for me. Yep, there is a learning curve, but that is not insurmountable.

And it lives on Windows, Mac OS and Linux (YeeHa!!)

Since July 2021 I have not used anything else, and it has LOTS of features, and it is for FREE, but you can make a donation to them...
    Link to KDEnLive website: https://kdenlive.org/en/
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dewets View Post
    So, I have also had a look-see for video editors...
    On Windows I used Sony's Vegas MovieStudio, and what a brilliant piece of software it WAS. It was bought out by anuvver company, and "made redundant" in favour of its own much more expensive product. At just about the time I switched over from Windows to Linux Mint)

So I looked around, and 2 candidates made the short-list: DaVinci Resolve and KDEnLive.
    sudo
    I am a Linux user, and DaVinci Resolve did not want to install on my i7 laptop with Linux Mint 21...

Downloaded KDEnLive in 2021, and it ticks all the boxes for me. Yep, there is a learning curve, but that is not insurmountable.

And it lives on Windows, Mac OS and Linux (YeeHa!!)

Since July 2021 I have not used anything else, and it has LOTS of features, and it is for FREE, but you can make a donation to them...
    Link to KDEnLive website: https://kdenlive.org/en/
    As a Linux user, I use flowblade. If you're running mint, you should probably just be able to install it just by sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install flowblade.

It's OS/X and Linux only unfortunately, but I use Linux pretty much exclusively and only fire up a Windows for reporting / specific project purposes.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

My son uses Microsoft Clipchamp for school videos which gets the job done and you can pay for the premium version if you want.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Quote Originally Posted by jac123 View Post
    I recommend Gihosoft Free Video Cutter ...
    Thread bump of the week? One month short of four years.

Still interesting, though.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.