Going camping - Tent advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Going camping - Tent advice

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this topic has been discussed... if you know of such a thread please comment with the link.

So for foreseeable future we have decided to start camping again. Kids are now old enough to really start enjoying camping and since myself and my wife used to love camping when we were younger I'd like to give them the same experience. Wife is onboard and now its time to start looking for a decent tent...

Since we have been out of the camping game for a while now I honestly don't know where to start looking for the right tent... this is where I need your advice

I am aware of most of the big brands (Coleman, tentco, campmor, oztent etc).

1) Do I go canvas of nylon? Weight is probably a consideration; however I would prefer sturdiness and longevity over all out weight savings.
    2) If Nylon any suggestions on a quality brand? Canvas is covered by tentco and campmor (great quality from what I have read)
    3) We are 4 people (4yr old twins and us two). Do we go dome tent with an extension or lodge type tent? (I'm trying to figure out if a lodge tent is just overkill in terms of weight and setting it up)
    4) Any suggestions on where to buy? Do I look at used tents?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Andrť

Default Re: Going camping - Tent advice

I take it that you and the missus have camped before and enjoyed it so starting with a cost effective tent like a Camp Master is not required in order to keep the cost down in the event that you dont like it.

If you intend camping often, like often, then go with canvas as it will be more durable and cost effective in the long run.

My preference would be for a lodge as they generally have better head room.

And my opinion regarding size, if it says 4 person its actually a 2 person
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

To make sure the wife was happy, we went for the Oztent RV5. We are 3 with a 5yo. We have the front room. It was pricey but the only way to make sure we can go camping! The tent is bulky but it is the only thing I put on the roof. Easy to install and nice to be in. I am glad of my choice and I am sure I will sue for a long time.
    I usually prefer to go for better quality than cheap. Less headache on the long run

See here: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-tent-question

This should cover most of your questions.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Go with a 3x3 Bow tent from Tentco or Campmor for starters.

http://www.tentco.co.za/index.php/qu...ow-tent-detail

When the kids get bigger/older add an extension.

http://www.tentco.co.za/index.php/qu...ension-combo-s
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/11/27 at 09:21 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Go with a 3x3 Bow tent from Tentco or Campmor for starters.

http://www.tentco.co.za/index.php/qu...ow-tent-detail

When the kids get bigger/older add an extension.

http://www.tentco.co.za/index.php/qu...ension-combo-s
    we as a family evolved from this to a trailer tent.
    Good product, down side is size and one person can set it up, however 2 is recommended

If you do go this route make sure the tent you buy is the one as in first link. They sell these deals for slightly cheaper but you get a tent that is not as nice a attached. Upgrade the tent to safari bow, the verandah makes a huge difference when you camp and only setup the tent. And the windows are also better than the normal bow tents. You have canvas on both sides of the mesh that can open and close for better insulation in cold and open for better/cooler in summer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nc6qccLQTtg

Ive literally been researching and reviewing for weeks now. Weíre a family of 6, but I camp alone with 2-3 of my kids at any given time mostly. My old tent is a Natural Instincts SiŽsta II but I need help to put it up. Itís got two rooms which I love and it massive. However ive just bought the Coleman Instant Pitch 10 man tent because sukkeling with a tent is the biggest pain in the butt of camping. I chatted to a user here ZX10- he has one and after hearing what he had to say I bit the bullet. I practiced on my lawn and it took me 15min to put it up and down (without the rain fly) itíll definitely be easier to get it in the bag with two people but itís not impossible for one. Itís big, my husband can stand in it- heís 1.87m. I canít wait to use it. Watch YouTube videos. Especially with little kids setting up camp and breaking down needs to happen fast imo. Their patience run out and they want to go play and explore, not hang around for two hours waiting for me.

ps not sure why my pic uploads upside down
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would start with a 3x3m dome tent and a separate 4.2x3m gazebo with a couple of side panels rather than a tent with an extension. Before you know it, the twins will need/want their own tent then you can add another (perhaps 2x2m) dome tent to your setup. The separate gazebo and tents gives you more flexibility in camp set-up configurations. The two tents used mainly as bedrooms and the gazebo as the living area.

NOTE: I'm not talking about the common instant-up concertina gazebo's. They're a waste of money. I'm talking about a proper Safari Gazebo (https://www.howlingmoon.co.za/shop/g...o-3-0m-x-4-2m/) made of the same material as your tent. Tied down properly they can handle bad weather as well as your tent can. The size and weight is not much different than a tent's extension. Advantages are that you can put it where you need it. Can also be used separately on day-trips without the tents. I opted for the Howling Moon gazebo as it comes with aluminium poles which makes it much lighter than the others with steel poles. The side panels can be added as and when your budget allows.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    See here: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-tent-question

This should cover most of your questions.
    Hey! Thatís my setup. Lol. Jip cant go wrong with a dome. Tentco is nice, and not expensive. Because itís only 260gsm ripstop itís not that heavy. Very sturdy. I bought the 3x3 for the missus and me and the 2.5x2.5 for the kids (senior and junior wanderer bow tents)

If you decide to go canvas, I have 2X 3X3m Tentco Snr bow`s that is for sale. I am also in Secunda. PM me if you are interested.

"In nature, nothing is on order - appreciate what you do get to experience" - Myself
    Defender 90 TD5 - BL Boskriek
    Namibia Trip Report, Kaa Wilderness Trip Report, Wildcoast Trip Report, Botswana Trip Report, Kgalagadi Trip Report, Lesotho Trip Report

Just go to the Tentco (showroom) in Edenvale, they can supply 90% of you camping requirements. Open on Saturday mornings. Some good discounts on this Friday. (or Camp and Climb)

I just want to bring it under everybody's attention that you do not have to buy the Tentco Senior Safari Bow model in order to get the scull cap with the integrated veranda.

You can just purchase the scull cap with integrated veranda separate.

I have done just that when I bought my Tentco Senior Wanderer Bow tent. It fits perfectly as the two models share the axact same dimensions.

And yes, the veranda do make a big difference.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2019/11/27 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    I just want to bring it under everybody's attention that you do not have to buy the Tentco Senior Safari Bow model in order to get the scull cap with the integrated veranda.

You can just purchase the scull cap with integrated veranda separate.

I have done just that when I bought my Tentco Senior Wanderer Bow tent. It fits perfectly as the two models share the axact same dimensions.

And yes, the veranda do make a big difference.
    Yes thatís what we did, we bought the wanderer domes which is a lot cheaper and just added the scull cap and veranda separately (which is a couple of 100 bucks)

Quote Originally Posted by Gothan View Post
    Yes thatís what we did, we bought the wanderer domes which is a lot cheaper and just added the scull cap and veranda separately (which is a couple of 100 bucks)
    True, but you sacrifice the rear window/vent for that saving, as well as the internal window blinds. Also it is made of lighter canvas than the Senior Bow.

Today's price for the veranda - called a flysheet - at Camp&Climb is R920. That's a bit more than "a couple of 100 bucks".
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

There is a nice buy in the classifieds, dome+extension.
    Neil

You cant go wrong with the Tentco and go Canvas all the WAY. , I have the Senior Deluxe combo and its awesome. I often sleep in the extension as I am fishing with my wife and son in the tent. I have been in some huge storms at the vaal dam and Koppies and as long as it is strapped down correctly they are indestructible and if looked after you grand kids will be using it. It can be a little bit of a mission setting up and taking down but with two people its fine. When your boys get older you can add an extra Room on the end piece. There is lots of space as well.

When i go fishing by myself or just with my son i will just take the tent and not the extension, you just need to also by the weather cap for the dome tent.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    True, but you sacrifice the rear window/vent for that saving, as well as the internal window blinds. Also it is made of lighter canvas than the Senior Bow.

Today's price for the veranda - called a flysheet - at Camp&Climb is R920. That's a bit more than "a couple of 100 bucks".
    I kid you not when I bought them it was about a lot less for the veranda. You definitely lose but I only use it to sleep in so as long as it keeps stuff off mah head Iím happy. The missus wanted the veranda

Quote Originally Posted by Gothan View Post
    I kid you not when I bought them it was about a lot less for the veranda. You definitely lose but I only use it to sleep in so as long as it keeps stuff off mah head I’m happy. The missus wanted the veranda
    Yes, when I bought my tent, the Scullcap with Veranda was really not nearly that much.

I went for the Senior Wanderer because it is made of slightly thinner canvas making it just that little bit lighter and easier to pitch but still durable enough to last for years.

You will notice from my posts on this forum that I like to keep things simple stupid (KISS) and thats why I went for the Senior Wanderer.

What I like most about the Tentco Dome is that I can pitch mine all by myself (I am nearly 2m which helps a lot) in a short time and under normal surcumstances there is no guy ropes to trip over. And then those tents can take a storm, keeping you high and dry.

I basically love the simple robust construction.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2019/11/27 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marindasn View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nc6qccLQTtg

Ive literally been researching and reviewing for weeks now. Weíre a family of 6, but I camp alone with 2-3 of my kids at any given time mostly. My old tent is a Natural Instincts SiŽsta II but I need help to put it up. Itís got two rooms which I love and it massive. However ive just bought the Coleman Instant Pitch 10 man tent because sukkeling with a tent is the biggest pain in the butt of camping. I chatted to a user here ZX10- he has one and after hearing what he had to say I bit the bullet. I practiced on my lawn and it took me 15min to put it up and down (without the rain fly) itíll definitely be easier to get it in the bag with two people but itís not impossible for one. Itís big, my husband can stand in it- heís 1.87m. I canít wait to use it. Watch YouTube videos. Especially with little kids setting up camp and breaking down needs to happen fast imo. Their patience run out and they want to go play and explore, not hang around for two hours waiting for me.

ps not sure why my pic uploads upside down
    I bought the 6 sleeper in 2015 and it's a dream pitching and folding, we had a blast of a wind on top of van Zyl's and the tent stood firm.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    Yes, when I bought my tent, the Scullcap with Veranda was really not nearly that much.

I went for the Senior Wanderer because it is made of slightly thinner canvas making it just that little bit lighter and easier to pitch but still durable enough to last for years.

You will notice from my posts on this forum that I like to keep things simple stupid (KISS) and thats why I went for the Senior Wanderer.

What I like most about the Tentco Dome is that I can pitch mine all by myself (I am nearly 2m which helps a lot) in a short time and under normal surcumstances there is no guy ropes to trip over. And then those tents can take a storm, keeping you high and dry.

I basically love the simple robust construction.
    I think they realized people are going for the veranda and the wanderer, so they upped the price on the veranda. It was definitely under R400 for the veranda when I bought it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast