Need opinion on National Luna portable battery

Default Need opinion on National Luna portable battery

Hi guys.
    I have an option to buy a National Luna portable battery like the attached picture.
    The current owner want R3800 complete with battery and battery monitor. I just need to fit it.

Why do I need a battery?
    I have a Dometic CF50 fridge and will be using it for camping and overlanding. Name:  IMG_9608.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  68.8 KB

Do I need a dual battery system if I run the fridge only when Iím driving?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks

Default Re: Need opinion on National Luna portable battery

Quote Originally Posted by Souty View Post
    Hi guys.
    I have an option to buy a National Luna portable battery like the attached picture.
    The current owner want R3800 complete with battery and battery monitor. I just need to fit it.

Why do I need a battery?
    I have a Dometic CF50 fridge and will be using it for camping and overlanding.
    Do I need a dual battery system if I run the fridge only when I’m driving?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks
    Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I still plug my CF35 into the cigarette lighter when I drive. Option to book campsites with no power is great.
    Each person has different needs. I actually have 3 battery packs. One at home on inverter for computer and Apple TV when power fails. Two in the bakkie, one for lights only and the other for fridge.

Just remember you will have to get a DC-DC charger as well. They can be pricey.
    Only my 2c.
    Last edited by AntonN; 2019/11/26 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added

Souty
    Yes you need a double battery system, when stationary, fridge runs off NL battery pack, say 6 hours during the day or ten hours during the night - dependent on outside temp and strength of battery. You do do not want to guess how much life is left in your main car battery, in any case the car battery is not suited for running fridges, good for high amps, sort duration.

No, you need not have a DC to DC charger when running NL battery box - it has a build in regulator and fuse/trip system.
    this is a good explanation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2I1tsqx94o

Works for me, because I take the battery pack out of the bakkie when not camping and connect the battery to an intelligent charger in the garage
    Think it is a fair price, depending on the state of the deep cycle battery.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Agree with Johan, my son uses the exact same system in the back of his Nissan. Alt pushes out 14.1v so although the 105ah battery is not charged 100% it works for him. He has fitted a 20A solar controller onto his for when he is in the bush and charges with 2x 80w panels

Eish, by coincidence, I also have a 20 Amp solar controller fixed to the side of the NL battery box and two 80w solar panels. Panels are fixed together with hinges, portable with 9m flex, not fixed on the roof of the canopy. Parked in the shade and hunt for sunlight, works a charm.

Just for interest sake,the NL battery box has a regulator that only allows charging of the box after five minutes of continuous driving.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

M2c... I have exactly the same box.... Yes you need the 2nd battery, but I personally dont like the design of the control panel. The power outputs are down both sides... so when the box is in your car you need clear access to both sides... really messes with your packing space..