To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question. - Page 2





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    FOURWAYS GARDENS
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,926

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Things were going well so far, great advice and some thoughs shared I did not think of. Then this comment, "maybe not the Cheetah". Aaijaijai. You must at least say why asseblief man!
    I must say the hiring thing does not work for me. Besides the custom changes here and there to make things even more comfortable, sleeping in my own bed is rather an important factor to both my wife and me.
    The sums presented stresses the extent of one's investment though. I suppose it ends up being a heart vs head decision.
    Munnika

    I can assure you you have made an excellent choice. With out any doubt in the industry the Cheetah has the best kitchen layout by far, boiling water on tap, two wash basins and a drying rack ++++plus all the other functional extras. The new vans with the roll out main bed is simply the best, you don't have to worm your self in and out of bed, just stand up and walk. I am very anxious for one of the new Cheetah's .

    http://www.overlandworx.com

    Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street
    0834535374

    2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V





  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creighton
    Age
    59
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Things were going well so far, great advice and some thoughs shared I did not think of. Then this comment, "maybe not the Cheetah". Aaijaijai. You must at least say why asseblief man!
    I must say the hiring thing does not work for me. Besides the custom changes here and there to make things even more comfortable, sleeping in my own bed is rather an important factor to both my wife and me.
    The sums presented stresses the extent of one's investment though. I suppose it ends up being a heart vs head decision.
    Couldn't agree more my own stuff where I want it in the van.
    I'm afraid that it goes way beyond the financial aspect. Head and heart and more. Being able to be a bit more spontaneous as well as being always semi ready. Owning gets my vote (also must justify my purchase )

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    61
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Have our Cheetah now for 18 months. Not one day sorry. This is one of those things where you will appreciate all the positives once you own one. Lots of packing space, you can even hang some clothes. Great kitchen layout and then of course the spacious bed. Don't have to act like a cave man.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Vuurhoutjie Boksie". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    62
    Posts
    924

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    For me I will not want to wait 10 months for the trailer. That is dead capital that not working for me.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nico H View Post
    For me I will not want to wait 10 months for the trailer. That is dead capital that not working for me.
    Fortunately you do not have to pay anything other than a small deposit. I paid only R5k dep and the rest will be settled close to delivery.
    The waiting period is long, but it only spells good things. A product in demand is good. The waiting period also gives you time to research your decision at length (this thread a good example) and it also gives you time to consider the various options available for selection before your final decision.
    So far the experience was a good one, I can only hope that it continues for years to come.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    George
    Age
    66
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    I've had my Cheetah about 2 years now and extremely satisfied with my choice. Do your homework on the options and chat to present owners when you come across them. What makes the Cheetah such a good choice besides the quality workmanship is the excellent service. By the way I see that some punt the new Ezee camper as being able to be set up by one person, the older model is too. Maybe just take 1 minute longer at longest. I would definitely buy the new model if I was buying now but a good older model is also a great buy in my opinion.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,538

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Things were going well so far, great advice and some thoughs shared I did not think of. Then this comment, "maybe not the Cheetah". Aaijaijai. You must at least say why asseblief man!
    I must say the hiring thing does not work for me. Besides the custom changes here and there to make things even more comfortable, sleeping in my own bed is rather an important factor to both my wife and me.
    The sums presented stresses the extent of one's investment though. I suppose it ends up being a heart vs head decision.
    Sorry Munnika. My comment was tongue in cheek. I did put the devil faces afterwards

    Apologies if misconstrued. In no way did I mean to say donít get the Cheetah.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    No offence taken Nys, I was just curious if you had a different opinion. But too late I guess, I'm now committed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Sorry Munnika. My comment was tongue in cheek. I did put the devil faces afterwards

    Apologies if misconstrued. In no way did I mean to say donít get the Cheetah.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cowies Hill
    Age
    71
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    We own an Afrispoor, not a Cheetah but a Buffel. The quality of Afrispoor is excellent and there is no doubt that David makes absolutely the best kitchens ever! Everything is just where you want it to be. So my answer is yes, go for it!
    Meryl
    Toyota Fortuner
    Afrispoor Buffel

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    75
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    I have my second Serval which is the pullout one. I can set it up and down by myself, bunduawn and all in half an hour max. It sleeps like my bed at home and the kitchen layout and setup is more convenient than at home. Storage is more than adequate. The make is extremely robust. I took my first Serval on a three week trip to Botswana on their sand tracks and potholed roads with not a single problem. Other makes accompanying us suffered suspension, electrical and even a bent chassis problem. A quick clean after a major dusty trip brings back a showroom condition. If something does give a problem Dave will replace even if out of warranty, no quibbles. Other makes argue the toss and you end up paying. One glass fiber make fell apart and the owner returned it in disgust. Just remember, Afrispoor products are built by hand and are bespoke if you wish. It tracks behind my Disco 4 perfectly. Enjoy.
    Last edited by stigs; 2019/12/02 at 09:01 AM.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Midstream
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Just wanted to test the opinions out there... Ordered and paid a deposit on the Afrispoor Cheetah 7 months ago. Check. Visited the factory all the way from Cape Town, agreed most of the specs except shower setup. Waiting for an opportunity to discuss and agree that with Dave. So not so checked yet. Delivery planned for end Feb 2020, check.
    Considering the dismal state of our economy, wondering about the future of the great outdoors in South Africa, safety etc. and the fact that I am about to splash more than R400k, is this the right thing to do? Why should I not do this?
    We own a second hand, standard 2 bed Cheetah (2015) that we bought from Afrispoor end of September 2018. Travelled 17000Km the last 13 months without any problems. Very comfortable and well designed.
    Last edited by Johan van Vuren; 2019/12/02 at 04:17 PM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ballito - KZN
    Age
    71
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    I have owned Afrispoor trailers for >15 years, and have know Dave Coombes since he was the workshop manager at MAN in their Pinetown Factory.

    I have watched Dave grow and am now on my 5th Afrispoor trailer (Cheetah -Eezy Camper) and loving it.

    Dave has installed more plate-bending equipment, and getting more and more automated, and has orders for a year out.

    He has a very stable work-force who are always a pleasure to chat to, and who do a fine job because they are proud of what they do....

    The possible reason for your concerns is understood, however it should have nothing to do with the general economy of South Africa, but it has everything to do with the fact that Dave builds the best off-road campers in the country and offers the best value for money, as well as personalised service.

    I can tell you that all my Afrispoor trailers have always maintained their value, are rugged, go anywhere, and as an investment, you know your money is buying the best there is.

    To answer your question..... Yes, you have made the right decision, and you are extremely lucky to be receiving your unit early next year. Enjoy



    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Just wanted to test the opinions out there... Ordered and paid a deposit on the Afrispoor Cheetah 7 months ago. Check. Visited the factory all the way from Cape Town, agreed most of the specs except shower setup. Waiting for an opportunity to discuss and agree that with Dave. So not so checked yet. Delivery planned for end Feb 2020, check.
    Considering the dismal state of our economy, wondering about the future of the great outdoors in South Africa, safety etc. and the fact that I am about to splash more than R400k, is this the right thing to do? Why should I not do this?
    Last edited by Tim Driman; 2019/12/03 at 10:39 AM.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Brand ambassador of note. Tx Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Driman View Post
    I have owned Afrispoor trailers for >15 years, and have know Dave Coombes since he was the workshop manager at MAN in their Pinetown Factory.

    I have watched Dave grow and am now on my 5th Afrispoor trailer (Cheetah -Eezy Camper) and loving it.

    Dave has installed more plate-bending equipment, and getting more and more automated, and has orders for a year out.

    He has a very stable work-force who are always a pleasure to chat to, and who do a fine job because they are proud of what they do....

    The possible reason for your concerns is understood, however it should have nothing to do with the general economy of South Africa, but it has everything to do with the fact that Dave builds the best off-road campers in the country and offers the best value for money, as well as personalised service.

    I can tell you that all my Afrispoor trailers have always maintained their value, are rugged, go anywhere, and as an investment, you know your money is buying the best there is.

    To answer your question..... Yes, you have made the right decision, and you are extremely lucky to be receiving your unit early next year. Enjoy

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,839

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    We looked at a few different options in 2017 when we decided to upgrade from the Echo 4

    Afrispoor, Bush Lapa and Echo were the three finalists.

    We ended up buying the Bush Lapa.
    The Afrispoor was second and Echo Chobe 3rd (might have won if the latest Chobe were available then).

    We visited all the factories and pitched the trailers to see where there were issues.
    Reason we took the BL was the bush wing.
    BL was the quickest to pitch and setup.

    Afrispoor is very well built and good quality.
    Met Dave many years ago and he knows how to build them.
    If the Afrispoor tick the correct boxes for you then it is the correct buy.
    Enjoy the camping.
    Last edited by Danie S; 2019/12/05 at 11:17 AM.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Danie, how much different is the batwing awning between the bushlapa and Afrispoor? What is the essence of the design differences? I'd really appreciate someone offering a comprehensive description and review of the two, from unpacking/packing, open/close action, engineering, materials used, sturdiness in wind and weather, the whole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    We looked at a few different options in 2017 when we decided to upgrade from the Echo 4

    Afrispoor, Bush Lapa and Echo were the three finalists.

    We ended up buying the Bush Lapa.
    The Afrispoor was second and Echo Chobe 3rd (might have won if the latest Chobe were available then).

    We visited all the factories and pitched the trailers to see where there were issues.
    Reason we took the BL was the bush wing.
    BL was the quickest to pitch and setup.

    Afrispoor is very well built and good quality.
    Met Dave many years ago and he knows how to build them.
    If the Afrispoor tick the correct boxes for you then it is the correct buy.
    Enjoy the camping.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,839

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Danie, how much different is the batwing awning between the bushlapa and Afrispoor? What is the essence of the design differences? I'd really appreciate someone offering a comprehensive description and review of the two, from unpacking/packing, open/close action, engineering, materials used, sturdiness in wind and weather, the whole lot.
    There is not much difference between the two in build quality and materials.

    There is nothing wrong with the Afrispoor, it just did not fit and ticked all our boxes.

    I have not heard of any issues with the Afrispoor wing/tent arrangement.
    What I have seen is good and strong, we never camped with one.
    Just understood you need to make some sort of arrangement as water tends to collects on the wing.
    The setup just took a bit longer and my wife had the final say in the kitchen lay out (happy wife, happy life applies )


    On the Bl-Kewer I can give first hand experience.
    It with stood very strong winds with out the sides on, same with the sides.
    No tears or broken poles and a few times we did not had the storm straps or storm net over.
    Same issue with water on the wing, BL supplies a few short poles that you put in to assist in havimg less water on the tent.
    You actually need 5 more than they supply to really keep the water off.
    One night stop over takes 5 minutes, camping with just the wing takes less than 10 minutes.
    Also on the BL take the option of a solid steady in front, not just the jockey wheel.

    BL options is very expensive and if you DIY the additional boxes are half price or less (or get some body to bend for you).
    Installing a solar setup is 60-70% cheaper if you do it yourself.

    I used to bump my head on the roof a few times with our setup till I learned, the new setup is much nicer and you have all the head space required

    Suggest you go and pitch each one yourself and climb in and out a few times.
    Also have the wife open and close the kitchen a few times and work the burners a bit.
    Have a look at packing clothes in and out and where you store the dirty washing.
    Storing of pegs, hammer and so on (especially those leveling blocks, wheel stop blocks and ground sheets).

    Draw a list of what you require and see what both tick.
    Speak to people when they camp and have a close look at what they do.
    Be careful you will get a lot of bias people, try and look beyond.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Vryheid
    Age
    37
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Just wanted to test the opinions out there... Ordered and paid a deposit on the Afrispoor Cheetah 7 months ago. Check. Visited the factory all the way from Cape Town, agreed most of the specs except shower setup. Waiting for an opportunity to discuss and agree that with Dave. So not so checked yet. Delivery planned for end Feb 2020, check.
    Considering the dismal state of our economy, wondering about the future of the great outdoors in South Africa, safety etc. and the fact that I am about to splash more than R400k, is this the right thing to do? Why should I not do this?
    Andrew, i am looking forward buying your cheetah in 10 years time hence the reason that you must buy it

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Haha Dieter, nie so seker daarvan nie. Hierdie koop is waarskynlik my laaste een en eks van plan om nog laaaank te kamp. Maar ons moet nog daai kamp saam doen, ons moet planne maak vir volgende jaar. Ek neem aan my Metalian (sorry JOU Metalian) staan nog sterk!
    Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Andrew, i am looking forward buying your cheetah in 10 years time hence the reason that you must buy it

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Vryheid
    Age
    37
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Haha Dieter, nie so seker daarvan nie. Hierdie koop is waarskynlik my laaste een en eks van plan om nog laaaank te kamp. Maar ons moet nog daai kamp saam doen, ons moet planne maak vir volgende jaar. Ek neem aan my Metalian (sorry JOU Metalian) staan nog sterk!
    Ons moet definitief daai kamp doen. Maxi staan gereed vir Sodwana binnekort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •