To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

Just wanted to test the opinions out there... Ordered and paid a deposit on the Afrispoor Cheetah 7 months ago. Check. Visited the factory all the way from Cape Town, agreed most of the specs except shower setup. Waiting for an opportunity to discuss and agree that with Dave. So not so checked yet. Delivery planned for end Feb 2020, check.
    Considering the dismal state of our economy, wondering about the future of the great outdoors in South Africa, safety etc. and the fact that I am about to splash more than R400k, is this the right thing to do? Why should I not do this?

Default Re: To Afrispoor or not to Afrispoor, that is the question.

Only you can answer that. Caravans are not an asset that the bottom falls out of. So if you enjoy camping and it ticks the boxes why not. Just look on Gumtree and see how few you find 2nd hand.

The answer is yes. Short and sweet.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

On the flip side, if things go bad, you have somewhere cheap to live after downsizing

If things go good, no problem
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    On the flip side, if things go bad, you have somewhere cheap to live after downsizing

If things go good, no problem
    100% Estee

And the brighter side of it is once you turn 60 you qualify for a pensioners discount which means you if you plan it properly stay in Kruger Park for as little as ZAR3000 per month which includes lights and water, rates and taxes and your favourite pets get fed for nothing.Change locations regularly and in some case even get a free swim.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

If you're going to finance it - no.

We looked at them before we bought a different brand, second hand. Absolutely loved the quality - and, though we did not buy that brand, the use of the off-road caravan that we did buy and getting out into the absolute amazing beauty of SA and the neighboring countries has been worth every rand spent. Frankly, as an expat living here by choice, it makes the other warts of living here tolerable.

Get yourself a secondhand bushlapa!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

Why Sandveld?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandveld View Post
    Get yourself a secondhand bushlapa!

Get a Skipper Oyster LTX and save R 300 K

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    This is not the first time youíve tried to hijack a thread to try to justify your purchase of a product that is not remotely similar to the camper under discussion.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Gen4 LWB Exceed
    Afrispoor Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
    This is not the first time youíve tried to hijack a thread to try to justify your purchase of a product that is not remotely similar to the camper under discussion.
    Well done Andrew, give him carrots. this should have been sorted by the moderators who are too quick old and too late wise.
    Originally Posted by Peter Betts

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Just wanted to test the opinions out there... Ordered and paid a deposit on the Afrispoor Cheetah 7 months ago. Check. Visited the factory all the way from Cape Town, agreed most of the specs except shower setup. Waiting for an opportunity to discuss and agree that with Dave. So not so checked yet. Delivery planned for end Feb 2020, check.
    Considering the dismal state of our economy, wondering about the future of the great outdoors in South Africa, safety etc. and the fact that I am about to splash more than R400k, is this the right thing to do? Why should I not do this?

If you can afford it, then there is no reason why you should not.

I had the same argument with myself when I bought back in 2017. It IS a hell of a lot of money and you can go on awesome holidays with that amount. But I came up with 3 answers:

1. Once you get back from that holiday, all you have are photos, while my holiday home came back with me
    2. You should get your money back in the long term (i.e. they do hold their value) so you only lose out on interest should you have saved the cash
    3. Have you heard about the story where the one guys explains how much money you could have saved by not drinking/smoking? In the end, where is your plane
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Munnika, we met 7 months ago - we have now owned our Cheetah for 12 months, done 8000km's and slept in her for 40 nights. We are still extremely happy with our decision.
    The cost might be high but the enjoyment, peace and spending time in nature with your loved one is so precious. We do plan long trips, but having your camper ready, for a spur of the moment getaway, is a bonus.
    Rudi
    2014 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
    Afrispoor Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi P View Post
    Munnika, we met 7 months ago - we have now owned our Cheetah for 12 months, done 8000km's and slept in her for 40 nights. We are still extremely happy with our decision.
    The cost might be high but the enjoyment, peace and spending time in nature with your loved one is so precious. We do plan long trips, but having your camper ready, for a spur of the moment getaway, is a bonus.
    R400k divided by 40 nights R10k per night really larny accommodation. Just as well you can keep on doing it 400 nights and you will be down to R1000 per night. Well that's what I keep telling myself. Picked up my new cheetah on Monday. Of course after the 400 nights you will still have your holiday home

Yes I remember Rudi and that visit to check out your rig led to me placing my order.

Delivery was confirmed today to be mid Feb next year. Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudi P View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JHutton View Post
    R400k divided by 40 nights R10k per night really larny accommodation. Just as well you can keep on doing it 400 nights and you will be down to R1000 per night. Well that's what I keep telling myself. Picked up my new cheetah on Monday. Of course after the 400 nights you will still have your holiday home
    Remember that after 400 nights you sell it again at probably 80%+ of the purchase value. Say you lose R50k at most - that takes the cost of 400 nights to R125 per night, never mind the non tangible benefits you received over the period.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

It makes more sense to rent than to buy if you use the van for 25 nights a year or less, give or take.

So if you are a weekend warrior, you need to be going away for around 10 times a year which is almost once a month.

On the other hand if you do a couple of long trips a year as well, then ownership really makes financial sense. As others have said, if you buy into the right brand your investment should remain reasonably protected

Finances aside, life is about creating stories and having a mobile home to get out there an adventure with those closest to you is priceless.

Also your van is likely to be kept at home or nearby so no need to catch long haul flights to a yacht you keep in the Med and you can use it when the urge arises.

Don’t overthink the crime stats, take the necessary precautions and go for it.

The Cheetah is a fabulous mobile home
    Last edited by Voyageur; 2019/11/29 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Remember that after 400 nights you sell it again at probably 80%+ of the purchase value. Say you lose R50k at most - that takes the cost of 400 nights to R125 per night, never mind the non tangible benefits you received over the period.
    Agree!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    It makes more sense to rent than to buy if you use the van for 25 nights a year or less, give or take.

So if you are a weekend warrior, you need to be going away for around 10 times a year which is almost once a month.

On the other hand if you do a couple of long trips a year as well, then ownership really makes financial sense. As others have said, if you buy into the right brand your investment should remain reasonably protected

Finances aside, life is about creating stories and having a mobile home to get out there an adventure with those closest to you is priceless.

Also your van is likely to be kept at home or nearby so no need to catch long haul flights to a yacht you keep in the Med and you can use it when the urge arises.

Donít overthink the crime stats, take the necessary precautions and go for it.

The Cheetah is a fabulous mobile home
    And agree!! well.....maybe not on the Cheetah
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Things were going well so far, great advice and some thoughs shared I did not think of. Then this comment, "maybe not the Cheetah". Aaijaijai. You must at least say why asseblief man!
    I must say the hiring thing does not work for me. Besides the custom changes here and there to make things even more comfortable, sleeping in my own bed is rather an important factor to both my wife and me.
    The sums presented stresses the extent of one's investment though. I suppose it ends up being a heart vs head decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Agree!!!!

And agree!! well.....maybe not on the Cheetah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast